1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cassette to Computer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by davo-man, Dec 10, 2007.

1. davo-man

Hi to all you tech-heads out there, I was wondering if it is easily possible to convert a cassette (audio one I mean) to a computer? Cos I have the Aussie version of Jesus Christ Superstar (Poss best ever casting) on tape, but I cannot find it on the internet (through legal channels of course :wink:) So anyway, is that at all possible?

As a side note, i wish I had gone to this version of Jesus Christ Superstar. All the Aussie people will see how many stars it had in it: John Farneham as Jesus, Kate Ceberano as Mary Magdeline, Jon Stevens as Judas...I think there were more famous ppl, but even just those three would make it worth seeing

Anyway, thanks for reading, hope someone is able to help, if not thats cool too

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can, but only if you either:

1) Have a video capturing card installed on your computer (costs from $100 to $2,000 depending on the model)

or

2) Have a VHS/DVD-R combo.

3. step49x

He said cassette, not VHS. :wink:

Yes, but you need a few things, mainly a computer with a stereo line in. A mic input will work, but you won't get stereo.

Besides that, you just need a tape player and some cords to hook it up to the computer, as well as an audio-recording program like Audacity.

Your other option would be to convert to cassette to CD, and rip the CD onto your computer. My church has a CD/tape recorder combo that can record from tape onto CD. If you don't have one (i wouldn't think you would), try hunting around your local churches and theatres. If you can't find one of those, see if you can find a high school theatre or something that has a CD recorder. In that case, you can just hook a tape player up to that.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, silly me.

Stephen said it all though. Hope you can get what you want, Dave!

5. davo-man

Okay, thanks for your help guys. I dont think I have any of that stuff, so I reckon Ill just go round to Ebay and CD shops and just have another check around there. Thanks anyway

6. dictionary

John Farneham as Jesus, Kate Ceberano as Mary Magdeline, Jon Stevens as Judas

Hehhehehhhe

am i the only one that finds that funny?

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Most desktop PCs have a line input on the soundcard, though some laptops only have microphone input. All you need is a suitable lead (if you are using a "walkman" type cassette player then one with a small headphone type plug on each end) which you can get from any electronics store or on eBay, and the Audacity software which is FREE and available for Windows, Linux and OS-X.

Then play the tape and record in Audacity. You'll have to mess around with the levels etc but it should only take a couple of tries to get it right.

It's probably easiest for a one-off job to record one track at a time, then you can trim the silence off the ends in the software and save it as an MP3 or whatever. It is possible to record the whole thing (or all of one side of the tape) and separate it into individual tracks in the software too.

If your PC has the right input and you have a cassette player then the only thing to buy is the lead which should be cheap.

There is a tutorial on the Audacity site here which explains it in reasonable detail.