1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Transexual Summer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GayJay, Nov 15, 2011.

1. GayJay

GayJay Guest

Hello Guys :slight_smile:

Has anyone been watching 'my Transexual summer' thats been showing on Channel 4 in England?

I know its only been on once so far but i think its amazing the best thing i have watched on tv for a while :slight_smile:

~GayJay
    :slight_smile:

2. Ben

Ben

I have! It's pretty awesome. Lewis is cute. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the show it makes me feel like i'n not so alone in the world :eusa_danc

I've been talking to them all online too. I reeeeally like fox ^_^ :kiss:

4. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    I managed to watch about half of the first episode between classes today... awesome. Makes me wish that I knew other transpeople in person :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah same here but having people to talk to online like you guys and the guys from the show (been talking to them on fb and twitter, awesome people) makes me feel so much more confident and to see so much support for the show makes me feel maybe I won't be so unaccepted after all. the show has really changed my life :grin:

6. Sadepeura

In UK, you mean? We have it in Scotland too.

But yes, I've been watching, it's really good! A part from some of the language they use ("tranny", "change sex", "become a man/woman")...

Oh, and I can't believe how rude the ladies in the bridal shop were to Drew in the episode two!

7. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah the guys have been going kinda mental about the narratives but I pay no attention to that I watch it cos I connect to them and don't feel so alone when i watch them :slight_smile:

oh don't worry about that bridal shop they got their answers lol about 200 of us last night attacked their facebook page with equal right acts quotes etc. they deleted their page an loads of people emailed them etc. :slight_smile: fun fun haha

fox has actually been talking to me on fb about me being trans. he gave some really great advice and support :slight_smile: i really like him he's so awesome (!)

8. Sadepeura

To be honest, I stopped paying attention to them after the 2 first minutes. It's actually just really amazing that they have a tv-series like that that I suppose it's alright to forgive them. :slight_smile: I wish they've had it before, because it was only last summer when I realised how ignorant I had been about the whole trans* topic, and I didn't want to be! I just didn't know anything, and this series is very informative!

And really, you attacked the bridal shop?? :grin: I'm so glad someone did that!! I honestly can't believe how they could be so rude! If I was getting married, I would definitely want Drew to help me pick my dress! What's the shop called anyway? And where was it?

9. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really pay attention to the narrative cos it's just the typical ignorance of the general public. It's the people in the show i'm interested in.

yeah we all bombarded them with messages haha. its a shop called gorgeous brides and occasions in wakefield. loads of people have said they'd love drew to style them cos that girl oozes fashion :slight_smile: I prefer donna's style personally but drew is such a sweet thing :slight_smile:

10. Ben

Ben

I'm sure the bridal shop thing was discrimination. I mean, you can't discriminate against people on their gender when dishing out jobs. That's not legit.

11. Sadepeura

I'm with Ben here.

The reasons they gave her for not hiring here. "Our customers might not be comfortable with you dressing them." Well hello?! They might not be comfortable with you dressing them either! And Drew said that she would always ask the customers whether they are ok with it. If the people interviewing her don't do that always then they are being rude to their customers. And they said that they might be too shy to say that they are not comfortable. What sort of an excuse is that? If they are truly uncomfortable and they've been asked, they will say it. Or at least hesitate. Otherwise, it's not the shop's problem anyway. I would so much rather have Drew dress me than the witch who was mean to her.

Donna is really cool, but I really like Drew's style as well. :slight_smile:

12. Veronica

It's a good show for being what it is, a reality show. The people are awesome. Been following a few of them on youtube and twitter. Haven't talked to any of them yet, but Drew added me back at least :slight_smile:

13. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I still love the show its just kinda pissing me off a bit that they're mostly concerntrating on drew and lewis. fox's story has been completely cut and he's just been shoved in the background of scenes, max hasn't had his story shown properly and donna is just shown when she's being OTT regardless of the fact she's actually a highly intelligent woman.
    as for sarah they make her out to be a martyr and havent shown anything positive about her and poor karen has barely been on despite the fact she was going through the biggest change, the operation

also these poor people are struggling to raise money for their own surgeries and channel 4 haven't contributed a penny towards it, despite invading their lives and exposing them for the sake of entertainment. channel 4 are rolling in the profits from the show while these poor people are having to borrow and beg for money to be who channel 4 were supposedly helping them to be.

I know fox has been really upset about it cos as he said they've invaded his life for 5 months and showed nothing of his story, yet he's probably the nicest of the 7 (though i love them all but fox has been super supportive to me ^_^)

14. Sadepeura

But so far they've only shown 3 episodes. I would hope that they show more about the others in the future episodes.

And I think it's just good that in the show they are showing how difficult it is to gather the money together for surgery. But yes, I do agree that it would be reasonable that channel 4 would help them at the end of the show.

I would like to see more of Fox too. And I hope that he isn't too upset about what the show has done, because I really like the show.

15. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    there's only 4 episodes (so next week is the last one) and from what fox and max have been saying they've both been cut out completely and they've seen all 4 episodes.

it's pretty unfair cos now fox and lewis are both raising cash for top surgery and cos lewis has had more exposure he has nearly £2,000 already, even a donation from stepen fry

but because poor fox hasn't had the publicity he should have, he hasn't raised nearly as much. :tantrum:

16. Sadepeura

Ah, that sucks. Maybe someone should make a petition people could sign and then send it to channel 4 for them to give money for Fox's surgery?

17. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    haha they're well ahead of us :slight_smile: max put one up a while ago. here's the link. would be awesome if you could all sign it Human Rights Petition: Channel Four: Stop Hogging the Profits! | Change.org

18. Veronica

Already signed it. Hope more will too! I'll see if I can spare some money too from my student-budget :slight_smile:

19. jakeystar

Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah i'm gonna see if I can spare a bit of money for fox. hope I can. I'm really touched by his story and he's such a lovely guy

20. Sadepeura

I've signed it too now!