1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for Bobby?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by caughtbywitness, Nov 16, 2011.

1. caughtbywitness

Has anyone ever watched it?

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone on this whole forum has watched it.

3. Mad Man L

I have. Sad sad sad sad sad movie. I actually cried during it, which has never happened to me when watching a movie.

4. Fiddledeedee

I have watched it. Go poking around and looking for it online – it is there. It is an incredibly powerful film and I am keeping it in mind for if my mother ever becomes less accepting or something. Maybe I will just show it to her because everyone should watch it, though.

5. jsmurf

Beautiful movie, amazingly cute actor, great storyline because it's true... :slight_smile:

6. djt820

Not a very good film.

7. Doctor Faustus

(googles)

OH YES I MEANT TO WATCH THIS.

8. MusicMan12

GREAT movie. I've been trying to get my parents to watch it, but they just refuse to for some reason

9. reallyrandomguy

Just curious, why do you think it's not a very good film?

I personally enjoyed it, even if some of the editing was somewhat predictable. I particularly liked the flashbacks and mental images that were portrayed during the bridge scene. (Particularly the empty hotel and barbed wire. Interesting directing choice.)

It's a very moving story, imo. Especially being Christian myself and living about five minutes away from Walnut Creek.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feed the troll. :slight_smile:

11. Keelin

^ very true

12. djt820

Badly directed. The story was nonsensical when it hit the climax which I won't spoil. It was so unexpected going from the flow of the story and the situation of the Bobby at the time. Could have been executed WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Uwe Boll could have executed it better. It killed the movie for me. I personally didn't like the resolution of the story either.

And I'm not trolling. I'm telling the god damn truth. It wasn't a good movie.

Want to watch an amazing LGBT movie though? Watch "Boys Don't Cry" if you haven't. Stay away from the trashy, predictable LGBT movies.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    djt djt djt. Sad thing is, it's not a movie, it's an actual life event. It's based on a novel called Prayers for Bobby which is actually based on Mary Griffith and her coming to terms with her son Bobby Griffith's death. Most of it is basically how it happened because Mary Griffith was directly involved with the film. So saying you didn't like the resolution, the flow, blah blah blah is basically you saying you don't like Bobby Griffith's life and how it played out. Good on you man. If you actually knew this factor already, well then I'm more or less slightly shocked because you say watch Boys Don't Cry, another film based on a true story, and claim it's better than a film that's based on a true story. Kind of contradictory if you ask me.

14. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I have watched it. And it's a very sad movie but it's one of my favorite LGBT films.

15. djt820

Oh lol.

Just because a film is based on a true event, doesn't mean that the movie can't be criticized. The film is not replica of Bobby's life. No film could ever replicate one's life; we can only artistically take an educated guess. Your insult saying I didn't like the way his life turned out is stupid, holds no water, and is completely unnecessary. For me to not like how someone's life turned out, I'd have to know them VERY well personally. And last time I checked, I never met Bobby. I watched a fucking film.

I don't care at all how accurate the film is, I want to be entertained by a film and the flow of this film and the sudden transition killed the mood and feeling of the film. The climax held no water. Sigourney is overall an amazing actor but not even she can save this film. It feels like a Lifetime film.

Boys Don't Cry on the other hand, wasn't totally predictable, had a great flow and atmosphere, and was competently directed. MIND YOU, the film ISN'T 100% accurate to the real story. Do some reading and you'll find that out. But to me, that doesn't matter. I was moved by the movie because of the direction and the story.

You can't give me shit because I didn't like a film you did like. I provided my opinion and my reasons for not liking it respectively. If you can't actually disprove my points (especially when you try to insult me), then stop typing and press the back button.

Thanks.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said, don't feed the troll.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, I read the book thanks. I didn't insult you I simply said I'm shocked you're comparing two films based on true stories and saying one is better than the other, I liked both, I found them equally enjoyable. Case closed, you have your opinion, I have mine, done.

Chip sorry just had to finish that off.

18. djt820

Yup. Opinions. Subjectivity. They're all around and everyone has the right to voice them.

Also, you might want to re-read your original statement and re-think what an insult is.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for calling me a nobody.

20. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    one of my favourite films!