1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meaningful Songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WanderingSoul, Nov 17, 2011.

1. WanderingSoul

There are plenty of threads about music here, but I haven't seen one coming at it from this angle. I apologize for being redundant if it's out there somewhere.

So we all have our favorite musical artists and songs, and we like them for all different reasons. What are your favorites, and why? What qualities, either instrumental or lyrical, or even a past experience you associate with a given song, make it so special and meaningful to you?

I'll go first. I really love the tune "Walk Away" by Ben Harper, from Welcome to the Cruel World (1994). It's a very raw and organic sounding song, since the only elements are a single acoustic guitar and Harper's thoughtful, raspy voice. The subject matter is also something I can relate to. The message is essentially that even though there might be a special someone in our lives, who we care about and who brightens our days, in some cases it's necessary to walk away from a potential relationship with that person, either because they can't return your feelings, or because you don't want to drag them down with your faults, or simply because of unlucky circumstances. The song is candid about recognizing the emotional pain that comes with leaving behind someone you love dearly, but it doesn't compromise either by offering a trite silver lining. Sometimes walking away is the only choice there is, as much as it sucks. In that way, the song is honest about the hardship but also encourages us to get past the depression and turn to the future. At least that's how I interpret it.

Anybody else want to take a shot?