1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone write novels with LGBT characters?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Emberstone

I am curious if there are any writers here at EC that are writing novels with LGBT characters?

I have been writing solidly since 2004, but had never had a LGBT character before. The stories that I was writing were either Asexual, or Heterosexual, depending on my vision for the story. Tonight, for the first time, I have a story that has not only a LGBT character in it, with their sexuality being important to the plot, but also, he is the main character.

I always told myself that I would only ever have a LGBT character if it grew naturally and fluidly from the story itself, and I would never force it (I don't force anything in my plotting because I find that it really makes for substandard storytelling.)

I am really excited for the story, though I do not expect to start writing it seriously for a while. I really want to work out the details and the dynamics for it (it is a paranormal thriller/romance, which is all I feel like saying at the mo'... gotta keep my secrets, after all).

2. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I don't write novels but I've written some ideas for a tv show and some others for short stories (I don't have the stories, just the main idea of them hehe)

3. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

What about a screenplay? ‘Cause I am (shy) LOL

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I am at the moment. I'd originally thought about writing sa classic coming-of-age/coming out YA story, but ended up switching the protagonist to the other central character and found some great new conflicts and ideas I can work with.

5. J Snow

Yes, in fact I have the first couple chapters up here

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/entertainment-media/50567-story-i-just-started-tonight.html

I decided to stop posting it because I would like to get it published if possible. However, I would love feedback. I kind of posted them before editing, so these couple chapters are much more polished now. I really should do some work on it. I'm still only like 17 pages in... I have such a hard time motivating myself...

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan on starting a novel next month and my two main characters will be gay. Their romance will play a main part of the story so we'll see how that turns out. :slight_smile:

7. Zontar

I've written certain other kinds of stories with gay characters, if that counts. =p

8. Veronica

I love to write, but don't have the time for it now with a thesis and everything ...

I love SciFi and fantasy and would like to write in that genre. Of course gender and sexuality will be part of my story! I'm still juggling ideas on how the universe will be. SciFi is hard in that you need to create a new universe first. I'm greatly inspired by Richard Morgan's punk-SciFi by the way ... and by J. Michael Straczynski.

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got a story that I'm writing about 2 gay females. It's a lot to do with the coming out process and eventually ends with them together, though there are other non-LGBT aspects of the story which are important as well.

10. Doctor Faustus

I write queer poetry (on my EC blog!) and have a concept for a TV series with a couple of gay/bi characters in... Also have a postcolonial queer novel in the works. But yeah, just the poems for now.

11. Beertruck

Most of my characters, for a long time, were either assexual or latently straight. And I can pretty much easily find where the line is between them - the asexual ones were the generic "I need a protagonist for this short story" ones; the more developed, latently straight ones were created while I was in the closet. I was so suppressed that I didn't really include sexuality as part of the human spectrum. XD

That being said, yes, I'm better at that now.

12. Doctor Faustus

I also wrote a play about an illicit affair between two guys that ends in revenge, tragedy and murder. :tears:

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, I'm writting a novel right now about a gay superhero

14. Emberstone

I feel slightly disengenuous about writing a LGBT romance (or really a romance in general) as I am still a virgin, and came out late, and have never been on a date, but there is still so much about the whole concept of the story as it is now that really excites me, so I am going to plot it out.

I did get a working title in my head this morning as I was showering, and it just seems to work for me: 'Stray'.

It has a gritty, urban feel to it (I usually write in the broader, natural world for my settings, so doing a urban setting feels exciting... though it still has its natural world settings, but there is a certain seperation between the two as if they are two different worlds, instead of simply two settings in the same world.

15. Aielar

Well, I've never written an actual story with a gay or lesbian character in it, but I have done some roleplay with a character who I didn't originally intend to be gay, but he turned out that way when someone else suggested it lol. So, I have sort of delved into that, if only for a short period of time.

16. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I do write stories with LGBT characters, though not novel in length. I made many attempts to write about homosexual love, often about 2 homosexual males or females but so far, I only had the motivation to finish up two.

Sometimes, I just place myself as one of the characters and my story as the base so it's much easier to write. I try to stay by how things happen in my life so I can write smoothly.

17. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a TV series idea in the works, centered around a gay family and their friends. And over the summer I found a riveting love story centered on a letter in a History book (from one man to another) at the library that has spawned some pretty inspirational ideas that I plan to expand upon, following my pending quest for a decent computer to do so with. But I don't write as often as I should, and honestly have picked it back up for the first time in over a year due to some recent issues I've been dealing with.

18. Emberstone

I can understand not having/giving enough time to write. my journalisem class killed my writing this term. I am hoping (since finals are a week from now) that I will be able to jump back into writing, and get alot of work done christmas break.

19. In The Clouds

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Now that I think about it, I have a lot of LGBT characters. Well, I have A LOT of characters, so they can't all be straight. My main character, Max, is bi.

20. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

OMG Let me read that, PLEASE! LOL!