1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I made a Sailor Moon film...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Messed Up, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Before you wet yourself, as on this writing there are NO plans to make a live- action film based on the Sailor Moon manga or anime (but, NEVER SAY NEVER... it WILL happen, it’s just a matter of time ;D)

It has always been one of my dreams to be a part of the process of making a Sailor Moon film (especially in the writing aspect or directing aspect).

But, something has ALWAYS troubled me. If I were ever able to bring a live-action adaptation of the iconic series to the silver screen for a worldwide audience I face a very delicate situation and I want YOUR opinion.

When I was watching the English adaptations I knew it took place in (Crystal) Tokyo, hence Japan (Asia). Now, not once did I ever think that the characters looked Asian. So, here’s my problem: If I were ever to bring a live-action adaptation of Sailor Moon to the masses would I use Caucasian actors so they actually LOOK like the anime characters themselves OR Asian actors as to not offend the source material’s original audience. This is a huge factor. Sailor Moon is ICONIC to Japanese Pop Culture. I would NEVER want to offend them- Would you have Harry Potter played by an American since Potter is so important to British Pop Culture? I’m Indian and I would be so offended if you had Mowgli played by a White guy. I remember when Memoirs of a Geisha came out in theatres and the Japanese were PISSED that a Chinese actor was in the lead, not Japanese as the protagonist is. And before Gandhi (1982) started filming Indians were threatening to boycott the film if a White man like Ben Kingsley played the titular great, however, were content after finding out that Kingsley was in fact Indian.

My issue is anime characters don’t look Asian. I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be racist, I hope you don’t see me as one, it’s just that Asians tend not to have blue eyes and blonde hair- I’M SORRY, it’s true. I know a lot of you guys will bring up the live-action series with Asian actresses who use “make-up” disguises to give them blonde and blue hair and all that jazz...but I never bought it. Sorry...LOL. The anime was better. Sorry. It was. It is.

What would you do? Now, thank you, I’m aware I’m not a Hollywood bigshot but I CAN DREAM CAN’T I? LOL. What if I used actresses who were both Caucasian and Asian?

This is just a FRIENDLY discussion, not a debate. Now, first things first, I’d use actors who were good and if they looked the part- all the better but what would YOU do? :slight_smile:

MOON PRISM POWER!

#1 Messed Up, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was actually a live action Sailor Moon show in Japan. I watched it quite a few years ago and thought that they did quite a decent job lol.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLsW0DGtq0[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2011 at 08:37 PM ----------

oh and here's the "transform" video

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ebQ5n7mzQ4[/YOUTUBE]

#2 Yuya, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. Aeon Magus

I was about to keep all the fluids locked in my bladder, but then I saw Yuya's post. It's been done before, but that shouldn't discourage you, you can still add it up to experience and have fun doing it. Also, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live-action version of Sailor Moon) does not follow the mange/anime story completely, so you could make yours so that it does. The sailors - Usagi Tsukino (Moon), Ami Mizuno (Mercury), Rei Hino (Mars), Makoto Kino (Jupiter), Minako Aino (Venus), Setsuna Meioh (Pluto), Michiru Kaioh (Neptune) , Haruka Tenoh (Uranus), Hotaru Tomoe (Saturn) - have Japanese names, but it doesn't limit them to only be Asian. You can cast whoever, as long as they fit the image that you want to film. Well, that's only my opinion...

There are a number of anime serieses that aren't drawn to make that distinction between nationalities, it's all up to how the artist wants to visually stylize it. With Sailor Moon, I'd go with both Caucasian and Asian actors to play the parts in the film. And (agreeing with you) if they perform and fit their respective part well.

If you're going through with this, Good luck, Messed Up. :eusa_danc

EDIT:
    *laughs at Yuya's avatar* NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!

4. Tim

Tim

*PGSM comments here, since people are also talking about that, xD Opinion to original post below it*

I had this long post explaining why PGSM was so amazing. Then chrome crashed. FML. So, I'm just going to say short crap. xD

Anyway, PGSM starts off following the anime and manga, but quickly changes, as you can see with the transformation clip posted. PGSM features Dark Mercury, a brainwashed version of Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Luna.

One thing I didn't like about PGSM however, is that the scouts were never challenged by the enemy. The only enemy that ever gave them trouble was Metaria, and that was only because Ami, Rei, and Makoto would not tell Usagi when there was a fight, as they did not want the princess to come out.

Which was another point. The only challenges EVER given to the scouts were in fact, themselves. Dark Mercury and Princess Serenity. The only enemies to ever give them a challenge. The live-action goes in depth in Princess Serenity, and instead of embracing her like in the anime and manga, the scouts (and usagi herself) learn to fear her, as she intends to destroy the Earth, should anything happen to Mamoru, whom Queen Beryl has.

Another thing I didn't like was that the scouts in the live action were pretty much forced to take on their powers. How so, you ask?

Ami - She was essentially faced with the choice: Do you want to fall off a 3 story building to your death, or do you want to become Sailor Mercury and fight evil?
    Rei - She was faced with the choice: Do you want to die to a monster, while the person intent on saving you is trapped, or do you want to become Sailor Mars?
    Mako - She was faced with a choice like Rei: Do you want to die to a monster who is strangling you, or become Sailor Jupiter?

We never saw Venus become a scout, so can't comment on her. xD That said, Venus is SEVERELY different from the anime and manga, so I highly suggest people interested watch the show. There's also an EXTREMELY shocking moment in episode 47 involving Venus, which I can safely say no one saw coming unless they heard about it before.

Anyway, did you guys like the ending of it?

Personally, I did. I liked that the scouts were willing to kill Princess Serenity, even if it meant Usagi died in the process, in order to save the world.

I remember going OH SHIT when Princess Serenity won and destroyed the world. However, the minute I saw Usagi and Mamoru in a desert, I knew what was going to happen.

I did like the way they handled it though. Instead of "You can destroy the crystal and your powers to restore the Earth" they tacked on "But you will never have existed, no one will know who you are. The sailor scouts will never have existed."

It made Usagi make an extreme choice: Would you sacrifice yourself to save your friends and the world? Naturally, being Sailor Moon, it was an easy choice.

But then having the other scouts randomly seeing images of her, and then suddenly remembering who she was, and who they were was really touching. Then the princess thanking Usagi for breaking the chain, and telling her that as long as people remember her, she will be able to exist, then running to meet her friends... I almost cried. D:

As for the special episode, it always bothered me Mars wasn't involved, but I guess that was intended, as Mars/Venus's weapons were both daggers, and it'd be better for 1 to use than 2.

I did like how Venus was revived though. The way I see it: Minako probably developed her illness as Sailor V. As she never became Sailor V or Venus, she never got sick.

ANYWAY, onto the topic at hand.

In a non racist way, honestly, I always saw Usagi/Minako as white, Ami/Rei as Asian, and Jupiter as hispanic.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    too late

6. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

You guys, I wanted to show you this;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrp6O9npR_c[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty good :wink: I watched it last night. Not bad. 21 minutes so get the popcorn. But the Sailor Moon had spit strands in her mouth- grossed me out. Darien is fucking HOT though! SHIRTLESS!!!! YUM! LOL!

7. Tim

Tim

Correction, about 11 minutes.

Most of it is credits.

On top of that, it shows the backstory of Sailor Moon at the start of the damn movie. It's meant to be a shock later on that she's the princess. But noooo, let's just spoil it for everyone.

Overuse of Eye Contacts and Makeup.

8. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Well, I give ‘em credit for good production values :slight_smile: Horrid acting but when you look as hot as Darien does shirtless no one notices he graduated from the De Vry school of Acting LMFAO!

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I gagged a little when it comes to the acting...honestly I haven't seen that bad acting since The Room...

And personally not a fan of the live action further up, it's just so fake looking....but I mean I guess that's what you get.

#9 Revan, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

OMGsh! Everyone tells me I HAVE TO SEE “THE ROOM”! LMAO! I can’t wait to see that LOL!

11. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol wow that is one hot and shaggable mamoru! lol

For me, growing up in an asian culture and probably watching the whole series in Japanese (with English subtitles), I tend to see alot of the anime characters as asian, even the dark skin ones like Pluto. I think Pluto was styled after Ganguro which was a japanese fashion trend that consisted of tanning your skin into a dark colour and dying your hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11 Yuya, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011