1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY car ran out of Oil :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Grof142007, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Grof142007

well as i was heading the school the car kinda of starting breaking before i could get there. i barely make it into a parking space at my school before it gave out competly. right before it die the oil light came out. so we checked it out and there was no oil.

our last car happen to this but the engine locked up and was useless. with this car i could still crank it up. so im hoping once get we some oil i hope everything will be fine.

bad thing is

I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW TOMMOROW AT 3 AND i said my transportion was reaiable now it so not reliable :frowning2: well i guess im back to taking the city buses :frowning2: was good while it lasted.:bang:

2. SkyTears

When your car starts to have problems I don't think the smartest thing is to keep driving. It just ruins the car even more. I'm sure if you got a note saying your car failed on your way to school they wouldn't mind. It's like if you blow a tire and keep going 2 miles until you change it. It can kill the rims and cost you more than if you just pulled over. Anyways, that really does suck. You should park your car and put something under the oil pan in your car overnight and see if you have any leaks.

3. panda

Old Car Rule #1 ALWAYS CHECK THE OIL!!!:eusa_naug :eusa_naug

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If the engine has "locked up" due to lack of oil you may have a seized piston. If so then you are looking at an engine rebuild which is expensive, or scrapping the car if it's old. If you are lucky the garage may be able to free it.

A new car will probably use hardly any oil between services. Mine is 3.5 years old and hasn't needed the oil topping up yet. I check it every month or so and before a long journey, when I also check the tyre pressures and other levels, and top up the windscreen washer water.

As a car gets older the engine will start using more oil due to general wear. It is normal as long as you are not adding loads (half a pint each month is probably OK). You should be checking the oil once a week by this stage. If oil is leaking onto the ground below the engine you should get that fixed (though if it's only a small amount from an older car you could just live with it, use a tray to catch it and check the level more frequently).

If the oil warning light comes on you really do have a problem. This warning light means there is insufficient oil pressure which generally means there is almost no oil. Stop as soon as you possibly can, and if you don't have any oil with you call a breakdown service. Going on a few more miles could be enough to cause serious damage.

Don't rely on the warning light though. The sensor or the lamp could fail, then you get no warning until the engine is knackered. Regular checks are essential and could save you a lot of money.

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    that sucks buddy... hope it's not too costly for you to get it sorted.

ALTHOUGH, that has reminded me to check my oil. So thanks!!!