1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I Wish I Was Gay" song.. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by midwestgirl89, Jan 2, 2012.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came across a song called "I Wish I Was Gay" by Jessica Lowndes. There is a video for it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to add the actual vid on here so I'll just post the lyrics and a lyric video. I wish I was gay- Jessica Lowndes lyrics - YouTube

Here they are:

"I wish I was him
    Then I'd understand what it takes to make a man
    cus it hurts and I don't deserve to feel this way
    The sting the lies
    It always takes me by surprise
    I don't get guys

I wish I was gay
    I wish I could see
    How to escape those boys they always treat me the same
    Breaking my heart leaving me all alone
    Well girls just don't behave that way
    I wish it was over
    But I know that i'll fall for it again
    And i'll end up love struck
    And he don't deserve another chance to speak
    I'll know somehow you'll sweep me off my feet
    I don't get guys

I wish I was gay
    I wish I could see how to escape those boys they always treat me thesame
    breaking my heart leaving me all alone
    Well girls just don't behave that way
    To have someone who listens to me
    Loves it like the paparazzi
    Knows the way to keep me satisfied
    Oh I wish I was

They keep breaking my heart
    And I don't get guys
    I wish I was gay"

Umm...does anyone else feel offended by this? It's kind of like the "I Kissed a Girl" song by Katy Perry but probably worse. To me, it seems like Lowndes is trivializing the hardships that a person goes through because they are gay. Also, since when are women easier to deal with than men? They are both hard to deal with at times. And it is totally possible for a woman to break another woman's heart. Here's my thoughts on the song.

1. Women can lie and they can leave you. A woman can break a man/woman's heart. They can behave better, worse, and the same as men.
    2. Society makes it incredibly hard to be gay so it isn't easier to be LGBT.
    3. You can't "escape boys" by becoming gay. Being gay isn't a choice.
    4. Both straight and gay relationships can be difficult.
    5. There is way more than just who you are with romantically when you're gay. You have to go through the stages of accepting yourself, coming out, and being okay with affection in front of others with your partner. There is more to being gay than just having a girlfriend or boyfriend.

I may be reading into it too much but does anyone else find this song to be annoying? I know it's supposed to be an innocent song but it seems to be a common theme in songs lately regarding female-to-female. This sort of song seems to perpetuate the idea that lesbians are choosing to be gay to escape men.
    When in reality, you don't "become" gay to get away from a certain gender.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2012 at 04:10 AM ----------

This is a quote she gave to the Huffington Post about her song.

"I wrote the song when I was going through a bad breakup, and I think it is something all girls can relate to. When they've gone through a bad breakup, they want to throw up their hands and say, 'I wish I didn't have to deal with this anymore.' We all say we wish we were a little gay."

2. Friendly ghost

I agree. Though it is just a song, it isn't a good one. Maybe I should make one thats 'I wish I was straight' lol jk. It does trivialize it a lot. I think people feel that society is accepting of 'gay' now. Which they are more accepting, but not everywhere, and certainly not completely. People don't realize what it means to be gay, and the troubles you face. It isn't just difficult because people call you faggot and what not. Though that isn't fun either.

It is music though, and there are all kinds of music that talks about a group of people they really don't understand. It can often seem offensive if you happen to be part of that group. The one plus side of this, is that it makes being gay seem ok.

3. suninthesky

Maybe it just me, but I think its okay. When the writer says "I wish I was gay" its kind of implying that she doesn't have a choice to be straight or gay. That whole idea seems like what the LBGT community wants the rest of the world to understand.

4. Jessica816

When I first listened to this song I was instantly annoyed with it.

5. suninthesky

I haven't actually listened though.. just read. Maybe that's it.

6. Jessica816

A friend of mine told me about it a few weeks ago and thats when I listened to it. Everything about the song is annoying. To me it was offensive and childish. That of course is just my opinion

#6 Jessica816, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. Zontar

Why would anyone think being gay would be a decent alternative to their ills with the opposite sex? I, personally, have never seen a group shallower than young gay men. Just calling it like I see it.

I'm not too familiar with lesbians on a personal level, but I'm certain there's enough negatives about being one that would certainly put her off in comparison to her non-discriminating, cushy, straight lifestyle.

Especially for women, this theme of homosexuality as a political choice comes up time and time again, and I couldn't imagine anything else that melts the logical mind more. If being gay were a political choice, I certainly would be choosing to be straight!

#7 Zontar, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So... being bullied and having to deal with coming out is easier than a breakup???

Wow...

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This. I don't even want to listen to the song. Reading the lyrics was bad enough. I don't think she meant anything negative to come out of this, but it's just very poorly executed.

10. hml8

When I was listening I didn't see anything MAJORLY wrong with it. While the idea of being gay being easier and the song in general was mildly annoying I didn't feel that she was saying that homosexuality is a choice. It just seemed to be representative of the immediate views of a large number of straight females I know, despite them realising that maybe the same problems do exist no matter what gender you're attracted to.

Personally I just think it's a piece of trashy pop and people are being a little highly strung (sorry if that's offensive)

11. Hazel

I don't think it's meant to be taken 100% seriously and literally. I don't think the point is even "being gay would be easy" as much as it is "I'd probably get on so much better with my own gender because I don't get the opposite, lol."

Just a song. Lines in the sand, though.

One of the first things my best friend did after I came out was send me a link to a song called "I Wish I Was a Lesbian." I interpreted it as her way of saying it was not a big deal to the point where we could be silly about it.

12. steel03

Anyone remember the Modern Family episode where Phil tells Mitch everything would be so much easier if he were just gay so he could live with a guy like in college? And how Mitch really has the right idea? And Mitch is like wtf you don't even... That's how I feel about this song. I'm sorry you broke up with your boyfriend. Now get over it and stop trivializing real issues.

13. IanGallagher

LGBT guys...

1) Have to deal with being bullied and called a "fag" throughout school which often makes coming out to oneself harder.
    2) Have to deal with the fears of coming out.
    3) Similarly go through the aches and pains of breaking up (as a bi guy who's fallen for both - everything is exactly the same there).
    4) Don't have to go through a relationship while fighting the social stigma of liking the same-sex.

That song really sucks.

14. PinkBluePurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I honestly don't get how anyone straight or otherwise could believe being a member of the LGBT community could be easy. Everyone at some point has been exposed to some kind of homophobia and that in itself proves a lot. Homophobia is everywhere and, in most settings I've been in, has been taken very lightly. I don't get how someone can honestly say they'd rather be looked down upon, ridiculed, and made fun of because of their sexual orientation (which is highly personal anyway) instead of being accepted and considered "normal ". That just grinds my gears. By seeing that as easier is like saying giving birth is easier than getting a tooth pulled. Its just ridiculous and mocks everything LGBT people have to go through. Ugh this pisses me off.

#14 PinkBluePurple, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  15. iAlwaysHungry

its a little offensive and there are message for people to undersand gays....

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone offended by her blanket statement that all guys are this and all guys are that?

I'm so sick of this shit: I have a dick so I must be one too.

17. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    :tantrum:So all the sudden people want to be gay. Then why cant they stop putting us through all that crap. as if spending a life in hiding would be any better. ugh how naive some people can be.

18. LD579

First of all, this thread is from 2012...

But with that said, I don't think she really wants to be gay. She just wants to understand why a guy has treated her badly, and so applies weird logic and blanket statements ahoy. Woo, what a leap in thoughts and what an... oddly unfortunate way to express such sentiments. Hm.

19. Lounicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can somewhat relate to what was said in this song. While I do happen to love women and couldn't really choose that, I do have trouble with liking men. I don't really know if I like men for real, but I wish I didn't mostly because of bad experiences to them. Maybe what she really wants is not to be gay, but to not like men anymore and she saw this "change in sexual orientation" as a solution. As a LGBT community, probably many of you wish you weren't part of it and tried to deny it as anything else that they could think of.

This song kinda reminds me a little about "I Kissed a Girl", but I personally felt a little less offended. Well, maybe this Katy Perry shouldn't even get such bad reputation, we just need to make sure that being bisexual or lesbian isn't just an experiment. What was described on this song was just curiosity. Same goes for this song that actuallytalked about a straight woman's relationship problems. Sadly, these songs can lead to misconceptions about how being LGBT feels like.