1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Work It”- New C/D Sitcom

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Messed Up, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Okay,

There’s this new cross-dressing sitcom (a la Bosom Buddies) called Work It premiering on ABC soon and GLAAD is furious. I was SHOCKED! I thought the LGBTQ Community would be thrilled over a cross-dressing or transgendered television show. I have seen/heard why they are furious but I want your opinion.

What do you think?

Is Work It good for the LGBTQ, specifically the cross-dressing and transgender community, or is it degrading?

2. breakingboxes

I saw the ads for it and I loved them!!!!!!!!! idk...

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't find it degrading, but I'm not Trans or a cross-dresser.

From a sitcom perspective, I think it looks uninteresting and not funny. I'm picky about my sitcoms though, and I will give it a chance to see if it surprises me by actually being funny. I'll wait a few episodes before ultimately deciding whether or not I enjoy it enough to keep watching.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I don't see it succeeding. It might for a bit and then flop. There have been much better shows that take on this. Hell White Chicks was better than what this looks like....

5. Katelynn

I watched the pilot & it wasnt that funny. Crossdressers generally arent that flamboyant & over the top when dressed in public. The characters really arent crossdressers so much as they are drag queens, & poor ones at that. It does hurt the perceptions towards a group of people already misunderstood, so I can certainly understand why people are getting upset. I, for instance, am trans & I dress female every day. But I dont dress ridiculously female every day, I wear women's jeans & tees & tanks & my hair in naturally long. I can almost pass now, although on my best day Id say I look andogynous. A show like this makes it harder for me to be taken seriously as being transgender because, inevitably, Ill have some ignorant person asking me why I dont dress like the characters on the show, or like they did on Bosom Buddies (which was far funnier BTW, one of Tom Hanks' best roles) or like RuPaul. So it will just reinforce negative stereotypes towards a lot of people who already have to struggle against stereotypes. I cant see this show lasting more than a season, if that. If anything, I say bring back Better Off Ted, it was a MUCH better show, plus it, in some ways, actually mirrors some of the ridiculous aspects of corporate reality in a somewhat accurate manner.

6. Zontar

Work it girl...right up to the TV to change the channel.

I've said it before; hack, unoriginal, generally offensive to the genre of comedy. Probably a lot of gags shoehorned with a laugh track like most sitcoms today. Won't last half a season.