1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AloneOutHere, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate reading and have only found three books interesting: the maze runner series.

I need a book to read for class and would be super greatful for any suggestions.

LET'S READ (!) ..... :sleep: oh sorry. I got tired of dancing.

2. Jonathan

Some books I would reccomend are:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Shadowfall by James Clemens

3. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks man. I'll check 'em out.

4. theWorldisYours

Just finished "the girl with the dragon tattoo." It's actually pretty good once you get a good chunk into it. If you into some more serious titles try "Blink," by Malcom Gladwell, or "The Lost City of Z." I'm currently reading Russell Brand's autobiography "My Booky Wook." You might be surprised, He's actually a very good writer. You can tell by his writing that he's British, which is kind of refreshing for me.

5. ZiggyStardust

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It's a book about a 15-year-old boy who sends letters to an anonymous, unnamed friend. He speaks about his family, his friends, his first loves, his experiences with drugs, his newfound love for books, music etcetera. It's really easy to read! And very interesting!

I can't reccomend it highly enough :slight_smile:

6. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks guys for all the reccomendations. i can't wait to get to the library tomorrow to check em' all out :grin:

7. Friendly ghost

This is an amazing book. I have let a lot of people borrow it, even some not into fantasy, and not one person hasn't liked it and followed up with reading the second.

Maybe you haven't enjoyed reading because you haven't been reading the right kind of books. I am a big reader, but I still have a preferred genre with books. I'll go through spurts where I will read any book constantly, thats when I start picking of different kinds of books to 'broaden my horizons'. But, I also have times where if I pick up a book that won't be that appealling to me, it becomes very hard to read, and if I do finish it it takes a lot longer. So during this time, I either only read fantasy/sci fi, or anything else appealling to me. Maze runner is science fiction. You should say what some of your other interests are, it would help to pick a book from a specific genre.

'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K. Dick, or any of his really.
    Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    House of the Scorpion -

These will all depend on your reading level. Which isn't to say how well you can read, but if you pick the wrong book its going to seem like the author wrote it with a thesaurus and it will take twice as long to finish. I've done it before. Whatever you choose, especially if you get something from fantasy or sci-fi, Do Not judge the book by its cover. That is more then just a phrase, especially in the genre.

8. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

"Flowers in the attic" is a good book. Now I0m reading the second part of it, "Petals on the wind" Check those out :slight_smile:

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just finished "the girl with the dragon tattoo as well". It takes a little bit for the interesting part to start, but after that it is a really good book.

10. Are you into Greek plays? Sophocles is my main man, and his Oedipus Rex (Or Oedipus the King), Antigone, and Electra are the bomb.

11. Bibliophile

Enders Game is great. So is Evryone loves you when you're dead. I also have to suggest 1984, A Brave New World, and if you are up for a challenge Atlas Shrugged.

12. Beertruck

Depends on what kind of books you like! I think the book's that stayed with me the most the last couple of years is Gary Shteyngart's Super Sad True Love Story, if only because some of his satirical predictions seem to be coming true. It's a very New York book, though.

Right now I'm currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King, which I'm not quite sure how I feel about, so I wouldn't recommend it until I finish - I'm halfway through now. But based on your tastes, why not try some Vonnegut? He's got a wry sense of humor, and while his books aren't necessarily dystopian they do have this sense of helplessness. Plus the regular sci-fi shit like time travel and aliens.

13. ANightDude

If you really like the Maze Runner series...

The Hunger Games.

That is all.

14. Silver Sparrow

The Hunger Games
    Gracieling and Fire by Kristen Cashore (companion books)
    The Mortal Instruments (series) by Cassandra Clare
    Spray by Harry Edge
    Gone (series) by Michael Grant
    The Mysterious Benedict Society (series) by Trenton Lee Stewart
    Cherub (series) by Robert Muchamore
    Witch& Wizard (series) by James Patterson
    Do you have any other criteria for your book choice, or does it just have to be a book you like?

15. ESevee

I recommend Bitten By Kelley Armstrong

16. caughtbywitness

Teh Hunger Games.

17. muaddib

I have read many books, having had AP English/Lit for most of my school career. It would help to know what genre you enjoy. Are you into classics? Thrillers? Sci Fi?

18. Tristan Yap

Tristan Yap Guest

Science fiction - The Hunger Games (Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in the movie!)
    Supernatural - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Anna Dressed in Blood
    Romance - The Notebook, One Day, Something Like Summer (Gay), Boy Meets Boys (Gay)

I don't know. Depends on you, really.

19. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL i just readd Anitgone in English class llast week :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

I like fantasy and sci-fi the most.

20. muaddib

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is great. The Dune series by Frank Herbert, as well as the ones written from his notes by his son, Brian.