1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beatles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bedroom Hymns, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bedroom Hymns

I am in love with the Beatles, they're my favorite band after Florence + the Machine. Does anyone else like them? :slight_smile:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beatles were my absolute favorite band growing up. One wall of my room was covered, literally wall-to-wall with articles about the Beatles that I'd pulled from magazines, and I had every released album they had, and a whole ton of bootlegs as well.

If you really enjoy them, get a hold of a copy of the "Let It Be" movie. It's out of print and hard to find, but I think someone on Amazon is selling burned copies of a two-disc DVD set which has the movie and some interesting outtakes. That will give you some insight into how they were thinking and working when they wrote their songs and rehearsed them. And Magical Mystery Tour (the movie) is... weird but fun in an odd sort of way.

Which era(s) of their music do you like the best? Early ('63-65), mid-psychedelic ('66-67) or their last stuff ('67-69)

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a modest Beatles fan for many years. In college, I bought the "red" and "blue" collections on vinyl for $1 each. (I was poor. :slight_smile: ) I loved listening to them both, but I found I favored what Chip called the "mid-psychedelic" period. Rubber Soul and Revolver, when they JUST started branching out. I still liked the early simple stuff, and the later off-the-wall stuff, but that was my favorite. Unfortunately, that meant I liked the very end of the red LP, and the very beginning of the blue. :slight_smile:

I eventually ended up with a couple of CDs. I bought Hard Day's Night and the two "Past Masters" odds-and-ends collections, and I somehow accumulated Sgt Pepper's and The Beatles (White Album). Oddly, I don't know where or how I got those. But when they did the remasters a few years back, a guy I know at the label sent me a free download of the entire catalog, in wav format. That was a gift that kept on giving. :slight_smile:

My favorite Beatles song? Tough to choose. It usually varies between these two, though.

[youtube]1O6gX0FCwpU[/youtube]

[youtube]MPjDMZiuhbQ[/youtube]

Lex

4. Bedroom Hymns

I love everything from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road (considering it the last album). Their early stuff is okay and fun, and some songs are classics which I just love, but in general it's just alright. I think my favorite albums are Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour :slight_smile:.

Thanks for the advice, Chip! I actually thought of watching the Let It Be movie a while ago but I couldn't find it; it's good to hear it's on Amazon. I hope I can get it :grin:.

It's hard to pick my favorite song. Really, really hard. I guess off the top of my head I could say A Day in the Life.

5. Danny19

i like the beatles too!. During high school i listened to them a lot more than i do now. I have a lot of favorites and its hard to pick. But one of the ones i like is Strawberry fields forever. and with a little help of my friends

6. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, The Beatles. :slight_smile: I've been on a Beatles kick lately, and it seems like the same songs are getting put on repeat. Mostly "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

7. Gallatin

I love The Beatles! They are, without a doubt, my favorite band. My favorite albums are Sgt. Pepper and Let It Be. My favorite song is "Let It Be", but I really like "Something" and "Hey Jude" as well.

8. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've got Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and a bunch of other songs, as well as the movie "Help!"

They may not be my favoritest band ever, but I like a lot of their stuff. Particularly "Here Comes The Sun" and "Across The Universe."

9. jargon

:lol: That that question had to be asked.

"Dear Prudence" and "I'm Only Sleeping" are my top two, since this seems to be turning into a "what's your favorite Beatles' song" thread. I might've added "Lad Madonna" but I'm listening to Lex's "Rain" video now, so I'm a little biased towards their more psychadelic sound.

10. BluestBlue

OH LORDY. I was obsessed this time last year. I have a collection of LPs (Abbey Road, Revolver, St.Pepper, With the Beatles, Rubber Soul), all released albums on CD and a mug. Hmm, favorite: I've always thought of Abbey Road as one huge song, it's just so seamless and flowing as an album that I can't listen to a specific track, if I start listening then I have to finish the whole thing. George Harrison's songs really appeal to me, my favorites being 'Something', 'Here come's the sun' and 'My sweet lord'. Nothing quite beats Lennon/McCartney generally speaking though.

yeah, lots of people like them too :slight_smile: The only reason I've stopped listening so frequently nowadays was because i realized that they really were quite.. over-rated, dare I say it. As genius and massively influential to music culture as we know today they were, it just got too huge.
    They were just four guys, making music, cause it's what they liked to do. <3
    x

11. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, I have lots of them on prized vinyl, including Abbey Road on MFSL 1st pressing from 1979, I paid $17 for it back then a HUGE amount of money, it was made from the original master tape, sounds amazing. I have some of the orginal monos from the early days. I'm a huge fan can't pic a fav.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like the Beatles, Abbey Road and Rubber Soul are my favorite albums by them (I only like 2/3 songs on Revolver, I just don't like that album) But the Beatles are just generally amazing, I've been listening to them since I was little.

I actually like 'All Things Must Pass' by George Harrison better than any of the actual Beatles albums, even though I don't really like any other post Beatles stuff.

However
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc[/YOUTUBE]
    Your arguments are all invalid, Beach Boys rule. Brian Wilson > any given member of The Beatles
    (controversial :eusa_danc)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAU0l7325w0[/YOUTUBE]
    Peace and Love Guys!

13. Eric

I'm usually pretty surprised when I hear that Ringo has anything to do at all, nowadays.

But, yeah. The Beatles were great.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Beach Boys rule. Brian Wilson > any given member of The Beatles
    (controversial )

Most incorrect statements are. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Bedroom Hymns

No (!).

16. jargon

I might almost agree with that actually. Its just that Brian Wilson is the only Beach Boy worth talking about, whereas the Beatles synergize. Wilson wrote Pet Sounds pretty much single-handedly to my knowledge, and that album trumps the solo work of any Beatle in my mind.

17. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dennis Wilson also made an amazing album; Pacific Ocean Blue. But Pet Sounds and Smile (and even Surf's Up, Today and Sunflower) are better than any Beatles album in my mind. The Beach Boys got REALLY sloppy after the early 70's (Kokomo is one of the most abysmal things ever) but when they were good they were REALLY good.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    That is not the Beach Boys.

Also, this happened

18. BroadwayDreamer

Out Status:
    All but family
    My favorite Beatles songs are the eerie ones, like Blackbird and Eleanor Rigby.