1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiohead

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bedroom Hymns, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Bedroom Hymns

Listening to them right now. I had forgotten how good they are!

So yeah let's talk about their music and stuff (!).

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so much love for Radiohead right here. Nobody I know understands this, they're amazing. It takes a while to 'get it' (for lack fo a less condesending phrase) but once you do their music is wonderful. I love Kid A and Ok Computer. What did you think of the King of Limbs btw? Kinda slip people down the middle in terms of love/hate.

3. Bedroom Hymns

Yeah, I totally understand. I have only listened to some of their stuff, but I'm getting really into them at the moment. The thing is I had listened to them already like one or two years ago and I didn't get quite interested, because as you said it takes a while. But now I'm starting to :slight_smile:.
    I haven't listened to King of Limbs and OK Computer yet. But I do really like Kid A, I still need to listen to it more though. I'm listening to In Rainbows right this second, I love it!

4. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK Computer is my favourite album, I listened to it when I was 14 and became enthralled by it. I never get tired of hearing that album. Kid A, The Bends and In Rainbows are all excellent too.

King Of Limbs didn't grab me the way In Rainbows did, but there are some amazing tracks on it. Some Radiohead albums do take a while to *get*, I also had trouble with Hail To The Thief, but revisiting it every so often, you hear something new each time and slowly find new favourites. I was lucky enough to see them live a few years ago, best gig I've ever been to, amazing.

5. thevedman

Radiohead are awesome! Not a fan of 'Pablo Honey', but otherwise I think all their albums are pretty amazing... Thom Yorke's voice is out of this world. Love some of the piano ballads they've done, like 'Sail to the Moon', 'Pyramid Song' and 'Last Flowers'. So many good songs!

6. Bedroom Hymns

I think I prefer the rockier Radiohead. Their experimental stuff is hard to get into. I'm pretty sure it's worth trying though. Can't be harder than Björk, lmfao.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've liked their music throughout their career, but I feel like they've backed themselves completely into a corner now...and I don't know how they'll get out of it without doing something completely off the wall - like a punk album, or a jazz one. :slight_smile: And as much as I liked their artsy stuff, it always sounded like late-period Talk Talk to me.

Lex

8. thevedman

I know what you mean about pushing themselves into a corner, it is hard to see where they'll go from here. But I thought that after Hail To The Thief, and they came out with In Rainbows and the pay-what-you-want scheme which was awesome. And although I'm not a massive fan of The King of Limbs, it's still a step forward... kind of dub step-esque, and all the looped percussion is pretty cool.

I don't know Talk Talk that well... aren't Radiohead named after one of their songs?

9. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, Radiohead is a song by the Talking Heads.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk Talk had a similar career trajectory as Radiohead - they started out doing something more poppy, and ended up sort of in a corner. Whenever musical pundits start discussing "post-rock", they usually mention later-period Talk Talk as a touchstone. The main difference between TT and Radiohead is that the later Talk Talk stuff mainly confused the hell out of people at the time. The albums were really slow, really quiet, and had only a few lengthy songs on each side. A few people considered them geniuses, but most didn't get it at all. And include me in that group - I found the stuff boring and pretentious when I first heard it. But as time has gone on, it's really grown on me.

[youtube]_cIWsQuYVeg[/youtube]

Lex

11. WildBeast

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My favourite band! :slight_smile: I really like pretty much everything they put out. Bloom is my favourite song. And Ed is soooo cute :grin:

12. thevedman

Ah yeah that's it!

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2012 at 07:40 AM ----------

Cheers Lex, I'm a pretty big post-rock fan so I'll have to check them out!

13. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You should try The Spirit of Eden for the post-rock thing. Heard Laughing Stock was nice too but didnt check. IMO, the albums before spirit of eden should go in the 'pop' category that Lex is mentionning.

14. Jonathan24

Wow nice music taste. Radiohead, Talk Talk...
    Kid A > OK Computer = In Rainbows > The Bends > Hail To The Thief > Amnesiac > TKoL > Pablo Honey

Started listening to Swans lately, anybody here like them?

15. Leaving216

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kid A's my favourite. I always preferred their glitchy stuff though, matches more with the rest of my music taste.
    I could listen to 'How to Disappear Completely' on loop for the rest of my life and be quite happy...