1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twilight or Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by djstcktn326, Jan 17, 2012.

1. djstcktn326

Are you a Twilight fan or a Harry Potter fan?

2. Jessica816

I enjoy both but if I had to pick, I would choose Twilight

3. Allecto

I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, but Twilight is just terrible. At least Harry Potter has positive messages and interesting fmale characters.

4. Homo Novus

Harry Potter x 12098347567293095740. :3

5. FleetFish

Harry Potter.

What kind of a question is that?!

[​IMG]

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without a doubt, Harry Potter.

Though, in fairness to Twilight, the books were much better than the movies.

7. Artemicion

Harry Potter...

8. ESevee

Harry Potter. Though I agree with Heatqueen

9. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harry Potter.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Waits for Emberstone to respond to this thread* xD

I'm on team Potter, as it is my childhood. I enjoyed Twilight at first, but I think it is drastically over-hyped.

11. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've never cared to read Twilight. I have read the whole Harry Potter series at least twice (depending on the book), so I'm going with Team HP on this one.

12. Bedroom Hymns

Twilight. People make it out to be the worst piece of shit ever, but it's so not. It's not amazing, but I find it enjoyable. The books, at least. They're more my style than Harry Potter.

13. djstcktn326

Lol, just wanted to start a conversation.

14. Bolin

Neither.

15. Emberstone

*apparates* Well, Duh! Harry Potter is a vividly, fully realized world in which Rowling deftly magnifies and presents, without sugercoating, the evils of our own world. It explores themes of Love, Bravery, Humanity, Bigottry, Evil, Corruption (both politically, and morally), compassion, and forgiveness. It is creative and imaginative, but is bound by a unified feeling, not needing to make outlandish claims of fact, only to contradict them. It expresses the best and worst of humanity, and does not preach, but merely presents a reflective, fictional reality in which we can think about these things through the safety of literature.

Harry Potter was not flawless writing, but it was above average compared to most writing being published in childrens, and even more so in young adult. Her greatest flaw as a story teller is that sometimes, expecially in the latter books, her writing becomes overlong, and less tight than it was in the beginning.

Twilight is a hack-and-slash job that lacks depth, imagination, character development, and consistancy. it too magnifies the evils of our world, but instead of presenting them as evil, they are promoted as glorified ideals. it does not really explore any themes (other than lust, stupidity, vanity, and imcompetance, all of which the characters revere rather than revile). It sexualizes everything, spending most of its time titilating with extremely repeditive (and therefore redundent even before you finish the first book) description in place of character growth. It promotes the notion that women are worthless peices of shit unless they have a hot guy to stalk them, manipulate them, and own them as a object. It also promotes the idea that hundreds of humans being murdered is perfectly okay, as long as shallow mary sue gets what she wants and is safe, even though she tends to be at fault for being in danger in the first place.

It also promotes pedophillia by having a adult character (jacob) choose a hours old infant as his future lover through a process called imprinting (where the imprinter will wait for the imprintee to grow up before they take their relationship to the next level... in essence, they groom their lovers from the moment they imprint to be their sexual partners). Then, meyer trys to legitimise it with the guidebook by saying Jacob was never really in love with Bella, he was in love with the egg in her ovaries that became renesmee, which is creepy in and of itself, and not just because he has a sexual attraction towards the baby once born.

Then there is the whole birthing scene... let me sum it up as this:

Today, on the Edward Cullen Cooking Show, I, Edward Cullen, will be producing a Uterine Tartar. Now, it is important that your uterus is fresh, so we will be getting it straight from the source. now, if you were to try to use a knife, you run the risk of cutting too deeply, so instead, we will simply use our teeth... ohnomnomnomnomnom *slurps up the blood* nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomNOM *burps* nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom. Tada... Bon Appetete, one appetito at a time!

Oh, and then after spending four book implying that there will be a big showdown between the Cullens and the Volturi, Bella casts a magic sheild that makes is so no one she loves can be harmed in any way. Tada, the promised battle devolves into a discusion, and a peace treaty. This act is the BIGGEST SIN in literature; the act of removing all conflict. You NEVER remove all conflict completely, because the basic concept of a story itself is rooted in the conflict.

Even at the end of deathly hallows, they still had to round up all the deatheaters (and umbridge), and bring them to justice. They had to rebuild their world. They had to face the challanges of coming back after facing the horrors of a bloody, brutal war.

Meyer's wrote her sex dream, and touched herself to it as she wrote it. Twilight expresses all the worst of existance, and titilates people who need reality, not fantasy.

Rowling wrote a story that expressed the suffering she felt for losing her mother, and told a story that touches people all over the world for all the right reasons.

16. dreamcatcher

:roflmao: Emberstone, thank you for brightening up my day :slight_smile:

17. djstcktn326

I'm team Harry Potter. I think he's really cute.

18. thinkpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Team Potter, although Alice from Twilight is Fiiiitttt!

19. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. nerdvain

Harry Potter in a heartbeat.
    And everything Emberstone said x846.