1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Queeran, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Queeran

Queeran Guest

Thoughts/feelings, anyone?

Personally, I love the trilogy. Though I wish both Catching Fire and Mockingjay had kept the same pace as The Hunger Games, I think overall it was a really great trilogy. I can't wait for the first movie to come out. This is the first series I've ever actually gotten hyped up for.

2. BudderMC

Ah. A bunch of us were watching stuff on YouTube, and we went through the trailer for the first movie. My one friend gave me the first book and made me swear that I would read it over the holidays. So I did... in about a day. I haven't read a book that quickly in quite a while. It's still a pretty easy read, but it had me hooked... now I just have to hunt her down for the other two books (she moved away and took them with her).

But I'm definitely pumped for the movie. And I want to read the other books at some point.

3. duriru

I really want to read them, but when I went to the bookstore to buy them, they only had the second and third one. I don't think I'll get the chance to read them until next vacations though.

4. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Those books were definitely some of the best I've ever read. Suzanne Collins in a great author, and is a master at suspense.

The movie is gonna be awesome with Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence. Besides Cinna and Haymitch, the casting is pretty much perfect.

5. ANightDude

One of my favorite series. And the movie trailer looks so, so, so GOOD! :grin:

[YOUTUBE]The Hunger Games Official Trailer 2012 HD - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Apparently the video isn't showing up. Eh.

And incredibly faithful to the book. It's word for word at some parts.

#5 ANightDude, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. Jordash

Oh my Gosh! I can't wait to see the movie! Its going to be so good! The books were awesome!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The books were awesome!! I really hope that the movie is just as good!!

8. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I loved, loved, loved The Hunger Games. I think the second games in Catching Fire was unecessary though. Also, I didn't like how Mockingjay went at all. I won't explain what I didn't like so that I don't spoil it. But I absolutely adored the first book, and I can't want to see the movie!

9. Starshine16

Amazing series!

Catching Fire was the best of the trilogy and Mockingjay made me cry more than once. I cannot wait for March when I get to see the movie. Midnight showing with some awesome friends!

10. Queeran

Queeran Guest

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Woody Harrelson playing Haymitch. However, casting Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, are they serious? Just...no. Ugh. He'd better play Cinna like it's the last thing he'll ever do, because it's going to take some serious acting to convince me that he was the right person for the part.

11. gleek

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were great! Mocking Jay started out with real promise, but the ending ruined the series for me. It's like she got tired and writing and just pulled some terrible ending out of nowhere :frowning2: Really made me sad

12. flymetothemoon

I loved the books, but I'm so upset that even from the trailer I can tell that the movies won't be consistent with the books.

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished Mocking Jay... The whole series was amazing. It blew me away - and offered a fantastic shelter from some personal crap I've been going through lately. I read the whole series in a matter of days. I haven't been this into a book series for a while.

And I disagree with those who say the third book doesn't really fit, or isn't the best. I think it displays the effects of everything Katniss experiences in a very realistic manner, much like the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder victims of today's modern conflicts would handle something similar.

I'm stoked for the movies. :grin:

14. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The series was amazing and when I got each book, I finished them quickly since I was addicted. Now the movie will be something, I can't wait!

15. Night Rain

Although I really love the Hunger Games and to a lesser extent Catching Fire, I'm trying to forget the abomination that is Mockingjay. It's so bad, bad, bad and feels rushed.

OK, maybe it is not that bad and I shouldn't call it an abomination, but really, there are so many loose ends and the ending is so anticlimactic I literally did a what-the-hell face after reading it.

16. PuzzlePieces

I thought the trilogy was FANTASTIC! the first book was by far the best tho.-.-

17. anonymousjane

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bring on the hate, but I read all three books and kind of want my money back.

Maybe it's because I'm majoring in writing and am therefore a total snob, but I thought the characterization was lazy and shallow, and her writing style was just boring. Those books were all about plot. Plot books will sell, no doubt about that, but the best writing is character-driven, which these books absolutely were not.

I guess most of my hate for this series isn't because the books were bad--even though I think they were. The hate comes from the fact that I can't believe such mediocre books have gotten so huge in pop culture. It's like Twilight: those books are really no worse that anything else on the Young Adult shelves, it's just that they're not that good but have still somehow become a phenomenon.

What can I say? Haters gonna hate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If people want to hate the books that's fine. But honestly I get tired of the Mockingjay hate. Personally I thought all three were great. Catching Fire was by far my favourite, but I totally disagree that Mockingjay was bad. It was well written and I honestly didn't see it rushed at all, I'm actually confused how people saw it rushed in the first place.

19. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amen!

Mockingjay was my favorite of the three. I've posted in every Hunger Games thread I've seen extolling the virtues of the third installment. I thought the way it ended was perfect. It examines how all of the things that Katniss experienced have effected her, and sort of personifies PTSD. I loved how the ending was fast-paced (not rushed) because it made it more believeable to me.

20. LSunday

I do have to say Mockingjay was my least favorite of the three, but it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's still a really good book; I just preferred the in-the-games style of the other two books more.