1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay research.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DJT, Feb 1, 2012.

1. DJT

DJT Guest

I'm at an age where I am contemplating "coming out", so naturally I have a curiosity about the after "effect" and about the whole gay "lifestyle" in general. Over the past few years I have done more and more research on the subject, even going as far as questioning other gay people. I watch "it's get better" videos, watch TV programmes on being gay and coming out and I join forums (I love EC <3)

My question is am I the only one?

Have you done gay research before? If so what sort? and what infomation did you find out?

2. Beachboi92

I did a ton of research before i came out. It was sort of ridiculous really. I was way to prepared and educated on gay issues before i was ever out xD

As for figuring out the "lifestyle" it's not like you come out and then suddenly you get invited to the cool parties and lose your sense of a moral compass :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: the only difference is now people know your gay, and if you decide to do "gay" things people don't go "are you gay?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Gallatin

I researched like crazy before I came out. I watched so many videos on gay topics, from coming out and staying out to parental problems to tons of "It Gets Better" videos. I read countless stories about the same topics. I looked into all the LGBT organizations around where I lived. Plus, I educated myself on a lot of LGBT issues, like marriage and adoption, and their status in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I'd say I probably researched most about coming out to parents and friends and how they might react, and what they might say and ask. That way, I knew how to respond to just about every reaction and every argument they might try to bring against me. I was way too prepared, but I suppose it was better than being under prepared.

4. Rinamir Mortem

I did not do much research apart from the usual sexual advise. I pretty much dived headlong into coming out the week I entered University. I blame it on my debilitating laid back attitude.

Personally, I felt if I researched too much into the subject I would find something I did not like and so decided to experience what passed as a "Gay lifestyle".

Either way, good luck with coming out and may it be the beginning of a long and happy life :thumbsup:

5. Vesper

I did borrow a couple of books on LGBT Asian-Americans from the LGBT community center in my city, though I didn't read any of them cover to cover. I also picked up many pamphlets and booklets, including PFLAG brochures that I might hand to my parents eventually. I read issues of the local LGBT magazine as well as follow gay rights, anti-bullying, and marriage equality organizations and news on Twitter & Facebook. I've also read some scholarly articles on topics having to do with biological determination of sexual orientation.

6. dreamcatcher

Yep, I do a ton of gay research. So far I've looked up demographics, coming out to family, people's stories, racism in the lgbt community, watched glbt movies, read sex related articles, looked up the how to's of dating (I've even looked at various dating website just to check out the dating pool!). I've also looked at lgbt friendly places to live at and socials for lgbt people. Basically, I've looked at everything. So you're not alone on this!

7. SFSorrow

Yep, I did a fair amount of research while trying to figure myself out to try to figure out what I was getting myself into. As I have a bit of a scientific background one of my first actions was to search GoogleScholar for papers on various aspects of gay history, culture, psychology etc. I also looked for any other websites about coming out and got hold of a few books. The books I found most interesting were 'Born to be gay' (William Naphy) and 'A gay history of Britain' (ed. Matt Cook):

Born to Be Gay: A History of Homosexuality (Revealing History): Amazon.co.uk: William G. Naphy: Books

A Gay History of Britain: Love and Sex Between Men Since the Middle Ages: Amazon.co.uk: Matt Cook, Robert Mills, Randolph Trumbach, H. G. Cocks: 9781846450020: Books

Plus of course I found and read a load of stuff on here!

8. Doctor Faustus

I mostly started doing research after I came out. I've been compiling a collection of papers on the philosophy of sexuality, some of which may be found on the "LGBT Issues and Philosophy" thread from way back when.

If you need any advice, by all means feel free to talk to me or any other EC person around. We're a listening community. :slight_smile:

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I did TONS of research when I was getting ready to come out. It actually got pretty ridiculous at one point since I would spend hours reading about it, learning more and answering the questions that I had. I didn't really research too much into the "lifestyle" because I'm not the most social of people haha, but I concentrated on a lot of facts, history, social problems and learning various points of view from both sides.

Its funny because its something that you really don't stop learning about. There is always something out there to research and understand. Specially when it comes to LGBT politics which is more frustrating than I would have imagined.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did a ton of research. I wanted to know as much as possible so that I would be ready to answer questions when I came out. I also wanted to know what to expect what would happen when I came out.