1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books with Gay Characters without a gay plotline

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Thatsit, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Thatsit

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books with a gay main character but with stories that aren't just about his sexuality/coming out and whatnot. One book I know of and just finished was Hero by Perry Moore. It was pretty decent and I'd like to read more. Any suggestions? :slight_smile:

2. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan is a really good read. It has a few gay male characters, one of whom is the co-protagonist but its not about sexuality or coming out at all :slight_smile:.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Party Monster
    Tune in Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries
    Wasted by Marya Hornbacher (She's bisexual.)
    The Mists of Avalon (Female bisexual lead, female/male bisexual supporting characters.)
    Freak Show
    The Vast Fields of Ordinary
    What They Always Tell Us

All of the other books have gay male leads except for The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which spends a lot of time talking about his gay friend's orientation and relationship and stuff. All of them are great books. Party Monster is probably the gayest one in the list.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, beautifully written and about love not about coming out stuff cause the main character Paul is out and accepted. His town is also a very random city but its quirky but like I said, beauitful concept. :slight_smile:

5. Thatsit

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to check out three or four of them and we'll see how they go.

6. steel03

To be fair, Levithan's Grayson struggles a lot with his sexuality and coming out. But it is an amazing book that helped give me the courage to take a step forward in my own coming out in real life.