1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ginuwine, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Ginuwine

On the topic of Coming Out & Gay Youth Books:

I was just wondering what coming out novels you guys have read and/or reccomend. I just recieved Geography Club in the mail as a graduation gift from my librarian

(...that along with Dostoevsky's The Idiot, Plato's Republic, & White Guilt)

Have any of you read this or read anyothers? Just a couple that were recommended to me were:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Have any of you heard of these before I go and shell out money for them?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Geography Club is a good one. Also, after you finish that, you should look for its sequel, The Order of the Poison Oak. Both are great books.

:slight_smile:

4. GuitarGirl1350

yuo're in luck, i'm a book whore.

Boy Meets Boy is one of my fave novels. Definitely worth the money. It's a very well written story about a young man who falls in love with another young man and the trials and tribulations of their relationship. It's sweet, has very good points, and a definite must read.

Leave Myself Behind by Bart Yates is an EXCELLENT book about a young man who discovers his sexuality with a neighbor...but the neighbor, i believe his name was Paul, has very homophobic parents and is kicked out. He then lives with Noah, the main character. It's a bittersweet lovey book and has a couple of subplots too, mostly dealing with mental illness. I'd definitely reccomend this one too.

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan (This one is girls, though.)

The Year They Burned the Books by Nancy Garden. I personally love this one too, though it will raise alot of anger. It's a good emotion stirrer.

Annie On My Mind, also by Nancy Garden.

The Rainbow Boys series by Alex Sanchez

All Those Other People by Alice Childress. This one's alright; but...it's not written very well (critisism from a fellow writer!) and it's confusing to follow because it's told simulteanously through different people. The language in there and the intolerance of the characters pissed me off a little more than it should have- suffice it to say the word faggot is thrown around alot. And the author doesn't do a good job of making her points through the stirring of emotion either, it just leaves you angry. This is more a library-borrower than a buyer. Acquired taste is more of an accurate discription.

I didn't know Geography Club had a sequel...but I loved Geography Club so I'll have to check it out.

I have more, those are just some noteworthy ones.

5. GuitarGirl1350

also, David Levithan (Boy Meets Boy) is quite possibly one of my favorite authors. He has another book out called the Realm of Possibility. It's told through poetry but it's about gay kids. (partly.) If you're into poetry, it's a good read.

6. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yep, it does! I personally liked the sequel better.

:slight_smile:

7. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

do you know where i can buy any of the books in the UK?

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Most of them seem to be available from amazon.co.uk. It would be worth ordering enough to get the free postage (I think you need £16 of goods for that).

Alternatively, major bookshops like Waterstones could order them for you if they don't stock them at the branch.

9. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

10. LorenzG1950

Thanks to JoeyConnick for the recommendation on "World of Normal Boys" by K.M. Soehnlein. Received my copy via New Zealand on Saturday and finished it Sunday night. Wow!:eusa_clap It's one of the best books I've read in ages. Robin is just too much. Written with humor and fantastic authenticity. Now I'm reading his second novel, "You Can Say You Knew Me When".

I'll post a few recommendations of my own here shortly.

Lorenz:smile:

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you liked it! I still haven't read his second one, although I've had it for months. I'm trying to finish Robert Jordan's latest massive chunk of wood where very little happens and I find myself skimming the text to avoid pages and pages of pointless description, hoping something will happen.

I know, I know... why, then, am I reading it? Well when I've invested more than a decade of your life following a series, I really want to know how it bloody ends!

12. LorenzG1950

OK,

here are few recommendations:

Front Runner, Harlan`s Race, and Billy`s Boy by Patricia Nell Warren.

City of Night - John Rechy.

Warren is absolutely brilliant, entertaining and real. Rechy is harder to take but a classic that you should read at least once. His collected essays are a beautiful collection of retrospective gay history. And we share lots of opinions, especially as it concerns the Bush travesty.

Lorenz:icon_bigg

13. Mnstn

Well, for the few girls on the forums I am currently reading or read these books,

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

Keeping you a secret by Julie Ann Peters

Annie on my mind by Nancy Garden

Girl Walking Backwards by Bett Williams

Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock

I have not read all of these yet but they do all revolve around a lesbian or bisexual theme with the romance or love interest being women.

14. step49x

I was going to make a topic like this, but then discovered that it already existed.

Are there any good coming put books that you'd recommend? Also, are there any other books that you've found helpful?

I'm kind of curious how many books mentioned here I'll be able to find in my school library. I know they had a book mentioned in another topic.

15. GuitarGirl1350

Anyone likes poetry should read Heterophobia by Ragan Fox.
    A lovely book I just read is called "Center of the World" by Andreas Steinhofel.
    I'd DEFINITELY recommend those two.

16. Endlessnight500

WOW i know the feeling....I Skipped Whole chapters in the Series, and the sad thing is i can barely wait for the last book to come out lol...anyways a book i would have to suggest you all read is Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Bright...i think thats how you spell it. I does have some graphic Scences :icon_wink But Its about more than just that. Its an Amazing book. and I love it.

17. Dazed

Dazed Guest

boy meets boy is the best book ever<3

18. c_jayo6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gosh, where do I start. Firstly, The Year of Ice is like the best book I've ever read, and I read a lot of them. The world of normal boys was amazing, it was about a lot more than just coming out.

Other Good Reads

Dream Boy
    Half-Life by Aaron Krach
    Rockstarlet- by Stewart Lewis
    a really nice prom mess- by brian sloan
    Boy Meets Boy
    Boy Culture
    Geography Club

and anything by timothy james beck is great

But by far the best coming out series is the Rainbow Boys Trilogy by Alex Sanchez.... It was the first thing I read when I started to question who I was. There are a lot more great reads and if anyone ever wants any I would be happy to try and send them to you...free of charge of course. I'd just like to share some wonderful books that helped me out, and it would be good to get them out of the house, seeing as I'm not completely out yet, lol.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

20. smilie22

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey im reading "outting yourself" its a good book i like it so far