1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best gay plot books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by jake v, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jake v

Ok, I enjoy reading and want some new book that I can get lost in. I have read nick nolans books but were on about an eighth grade reading level. Does anyone have any good authors/books with a gay character or theme, preferably a steamy one! Even if you have read a good book regardless of what its about I would still love the advice.

I would love some suggestions.

2. Mogget

Mercedes Lackey's Books of the Last Herald-Mage Trilogy was one of the earliest sci-fi/fantasy series to feature a gay protagonist. Books are Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price.

3. Billy Costigan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand. I started collecting gay interest books/movies when I was about 17.

Bostal Boy -Brendan Behan
    There is also a movie version with a very cute actor named Shawn Hasoty.

Dream Boy -Jim Grimsley
    Not one of my favorites and the movie sucks but you said you were looking for something a little steamy.

Good to Know -D. Marchwell
    Not a great book by any means. Very simple structure and writing but VERY steamy. Basically, its trash, but does have some reddening qualities when the two guys try to raise a child that one of them was left with after his sister died.

I could recommend more but those are decent choices depending on what your looking for. The first two are about young adults 'Borstal Boy' has a good story and is written by a respected author, but most of the homosexual references aren't spelled out in black and white. In other words you have to think as you read it :slight_smile:

'Dream Boy' I guess could be called a coming of age story with tragic consequences. And 'Good to Know' is your standard drug store gay romance, lots of sex.

Hope this helps!

4. jake v

Thank you, I'll look up a couple of them tonight and hopefully at least one grabs me.

5. AiKira

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really enjoyed Unnatural by Michael Griffo. The main protagonist is Gay and if u like Vampires I'm sure you will like this series :slight_smile:

6. RyanG

I just released my debut novel, Love Bomb and the Pink Platoon, you might dig that. Sidenote- the book trailer was yanked from YouTube for the *suggestion* of two men kissing. I'm doing a bunch of media outreach to shine a light on this. Anyways, the book is solid. Check it out :slight_smile:

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've read quite a few from this list and they're all pretty good so far.

Top 100 Gay Novels

I'm going to vouch for Me Talk Pretty One Day, Don't Get Too Comfortable, What They Always Tell Us, The Vast Fields of Ordinary, and Party Monster.

8. secretguyX

Apparently, Sing You Home by Jodi Piccoult includes a gay (well lesbian) couple. I'm not sure how much of it is about that. But it was enough of it to make my Mom stop reading it. She said she'd rather not read about "gay stuff"... So i'm guessing they are a big part of the plot.

9. Holmes

I quite like Alan Hollinghurst's work, The Line of Beauty and The Swimming-Pool Library. There's Christopher Isherwood, with The Berlin Stories and A Single Man. I read Stephen Fry's Making History over Christmas, which is just good fun.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Doctor Faustus

"Maurice" by E.M. Forster.

Hands down.

12. Hot Pink

Ammonite by Nicola Griffith is a science fiction book about a planet called Jeep that is inhabited only by females colonists. Jeep has a virus that kills off men and a small portion of females. The females that survive gain a certain connection to the nature of the planet that borders on supernatural. It's a bit weird, but an interesting read.

Banshee's Honor by Shaylynn Rose is a fantasy book about a fallen female half-elf warlord. Fueled with rage, she desires vengeance from King Arris. A young female cleric comes to her aid and heals the warrior's wounds--both physical and emotional. The two begin to form a powerful friendship or perhaps something more. I haven't finished this one yet.

After the Fall by Robin Summers takes place in a post-apocalyptic Earth. A young girl struggles to survive by any means necessary in a harsh world. She takes what she wants and leaves. She lives by a strict set of rules that she always obeys to survive--until she meets a certain girl that changes everything. I haven't read this one yet.

13. squally89

Geography Club by Brent Hartinger, I love the character and what he goes through. High school theme, something I can easily relate to as a young adult.