1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M*a*s*h

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alexandria, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Alexandria

How many folks here even remember this gem from the 70's and 80s? I grew up watching the show; and until my later teens, it was really the 'only' exposure I had to crossdressing; albeit a less than stellar one. That notwithstanding, I suspect many of the younger folks here haven't a clue what the show is; old timer that i am. -snrk-

But yea, who here watched the show?

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm about seven years your junior, and I have seen many episodes of the show (though I've never read the book or seen the movie). THe earlier episodes were pretty funny, with the later episodes being fairly preachy (though not without their own merit). I'd put it on my ist of favorite shows from the 60's/70's, even if it did run in the 70's and 80's.

3. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

i LOVE mash, always have. i guess i just have a dry sense of humor. if you remember the original movie, it was about a suicide because one of the characters (the cook if remember) was gay

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

absolutely. once col. potter showed up, it kinda jumped the shark

4. Alexandria

Actually, I have to disagree with that - to me, the show truly didnt find itself - and its subject matter base - until Potter and Winchester showed up. Maybe I dont find it preachy because I wholeheartedly agree with most of the messages the show portrayed - and lets face it; even now the show remains relevant - one could of easily substituted Iraq, Afghanistan or the other fiascos going on, and you would have the same human suffering that the latter half of the series focused in on, especially the pointless waste of it all. I love the whole series - but I find it better when it finally matured, particularly under Alda's guidance.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched quite a few episodes. Liked it quite a bit. :slight_smile:

6. jake v

I was born in '90 and hell yeah I watched that show! My dad was/is a fanatic so I always watched it. It's a very funny show that still had its serious moments at the end of the episode.

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember watching reruns of it while my mom took naps during the day. I'd lay in bed with her while she slept and watch old sitcoms for a few hours everyday when she was pregnant with my sisters. I don't actually remember much of the show, but it reminds me of those times.

And apparently when I was a wee baby, Suicide is Painless was the only song that would shut me up when I was crying. So M*A*S*H holds many a special memory to me. :slight_smile:

8. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah, I used to watch it after school all the time; reruns of course. Nowadays I don't enjoy it as much all the time - the quality of the episodes seems to be fairly variable. But the good ones are, well, good.

Klinger's crossdressing, while not a stellar portrayal as you said, isn't harmful or anything either, so I don't mind it.

I partly agree with both views on this. While Frank Burns and Colonel Blake made for a funnier show at times, they were also fairly one-dimensional caricature-type characters that got very predictable after a while. Potter and Winchester were more rounded, and I like that in characters.

9. Alexandria

Agreed - Though what they did to Blake was just cruel. And yet fitting for the setting.

10. starfish

Yes, M*A*S*H is one of my favorite TV shows. Pretty sure I've seen all of them.

Don't know why, but 5 o'clock Charlie just popped into my head.

11. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

politically i agree. but i just dont think politics and humor work in that kind of mixture (unlike the daily show and colbert report which i find hilarious)

12. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alot of old shows like that are good. M*a*s*h, Coach, Cheers. It's funny stuff :slight_smile:

-Watch Reelz Channel, they always air those shows.

13. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

oh man, i must be old if cheers is considered old. i remember when it was on first run. C'est la vie