1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you relate more to male or female characters?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by IanGallagher, Feb 23, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

I was just wondering since guys seek out girls in films whereas girls seek out guys in films. I'm bi, but I go after girls more, so I basically only see those story aspects from the guy pov chasing the girl. I was just wondering how gay guys see this aspect in films. Do you relate to the girl's pov? Do you not relate to that part of a film at all? How exactly does that work?

2. stupidIvan

I relate much better to male characters, and always have. I've pretty much always idolized male characters, even when I was little. Their goals and emotions were always easier for me to understand, not to say that dudes are simple or anything, but they were certainly more clear-cut feeling, and still are for me. Rarely do I find a female character that is relate-able and not totally drenched in lady-problems to the point where their person is totally untranslatable to me and becomes boring or obnoxious.

Boys may go to Jupiter to get more stupider, but I'm okay with that I guess??? :::: P

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to believe I relate equally well to both genders in regards to character, but it's hard for me to tell. Very rarely do I feel completely on one gender's side within a story, though.

In the end I relate best to agendered/androgynous nerds, though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

4. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually relate to the female chars

5. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I relate to male characters most of the time, both in books and movies.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually relate better to male characters.

7. dreamcatcher

For the most part, I relate more to male characters than female characters. (although I can relate with several female characters) My problem with a lot of the female characters is that they can be very annoying or always mooning over a guy versus the male characters who tend to be more independent.

As for liking certain characters, I really like bad ass characters or the funny types and those also tend to be guys. There are some bad ass and comedic female characters on tv but they tend to be less common than males.

8. Mask

I tend to be passive in my relationships so I usually relate more to the females, at least that is the way most woman are portrayed in movies.

9. Markio

I think an issue in literature is that men are more often portrayed as well-rounded or unique characters, while women are used to fulfill a typical female role. Of course there are exceptions: Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett has a sharp point of view that I enjoyed reading.

10. Bolin

Gender doesn't matter...it's more the character's personality, regardless of gender.

11. secretguyX

I usually relate more to the male characters, unless the female's plot is extremely similar to my life (Ex: The Last Song). I almost always relate to the guy and pay more attention to the girl, although it used to be the opposite.

12. Rob999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I usually relate to male characters more, although I'm studying "A Streetcar Named Desire" for English, and I relate to the main female's point of view more than the main male's point of view (unlike most of my class :lol:slight_smile:. The play write WAS gay though, and he also related to the female lead more.

13. Hexagon

Is nerd a gender?

14. maverick

I relate more to male characters than female characters in books/film. And as a fiction novelist, my protagonists tend to be overwhelmingly male. I guess I just find it easier to write from their perspective.

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i normally relate to the females, i certainly empathise with them more easily

16. acor

Male, usually villains, badasses, and problem children (I was kinda problem child growing up).

However, back then when I was 100% sure about my sexuality (100% straight), I usually created female character in cRPG games and name her after my current goirlfriend/crush...

17. Maria98

Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the situation.

18. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For all the amount that I go on about gender bias and valuing people equally, I really do relate better to the female characters. I have no idea why, that's just the way it happens to be.

19. Emberstone

I relate to well crafted characters that are rich and varied... gender of the character does not impact how well I relate to them.

I can relate to a character written by jk rowling, but not ones smutted by stephenie meyer.

20. kellymporta

I have always related with male characters. I guess it's because I don't express too much emotions and females always seem to be more emotional than men.

However, the only thing I don't relate with male characters is when they have their girlfriend or wife to protect.