1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youth of Togay - Legit or Homophobes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TruffleDude, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TruffleDude

This video and band may be a bit dated, especially for queercore/homocore lovers out there, but I will put this out there anyway.

After watching this video and reading interviews of band members, even reading message boards, I still can not decide: Are these guys the real deal, and for gay rights, or are they homophobic d-bags?
    Youth of Togay "TOUGH GAYS" Official Music Video - YouTube

[YOUTUBE]jrc_Qy1ZX3A[/YOUTUBE]

#1 TruffleDude, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Allecto

They're mocking homophobia in the hardcore scene, so no.

3. TruffleDude

Can you clarify? I didn't really ask a "yes or no" type question.

4. Beachboi92

I found it funny and entertaining especially considering most of the other stuff i hear in that kind of music. Seems to have more of a supportive tone to me.

5. Allecto

They're a queercore band, so I'd find it hard to believe that they're homophobic.

6. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the people above. I think they're the real deal and support gay rights.

7. TruffleDude

The reason that I asked is because I have heard people describe them as a "joke band", and I then found out that they never toured. It made me wonder if they were mocking gay people, or what their deal was.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queercore = band often made up of gay men, women or both.

9. TruffleDude

I am not so sure these guys are gay.

10. fnsboston

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I came across this and registered so I could respond.

I didn't want to post a short answer, which would be yes.
    We had gay and bisexual members, of course we are not a band anymore.

We never played shows because we were all working on other projects, like school or other bands. Our guitar player is having some great success playing in a bluegrass band in LA. We were actually offered a 5 week European tour, but we couldn't get it together. That is why there are some shirts and posts announcing a tour, but it never happened.

We all feel very strongly about LGBT issues and equal rights.

I always considered ourselves a "joke" band, not relative to our opinon on gay issues, but in our approach to our music.

I wanted to add this lengthy interview I did with Left of The Dial Magazine, which is one of the more sweeping and complete interviews I did for the band.

Thanks,
    Pat.

An interview with Pat, singer of Youth of Togay!

Why did the band choose to “queer” not just hardcore punk culture but more specifically straight-edge? Do you think it adds to a sense of subversion, parody, or poaching?

First, Dave thanks for including us with your interviews. Sometimes I feel that within our “genre” we can be over looked as a novelty act, not worthy to be recognized because of the way we choose to carry our message. And although we take a more comedic stance on gay issues, our beliefs and feelings towards these issues are as strong as other artists who express them in a more serious manner.

I think that every artist takes his or her inspiration from those things that surround them. All of us grew up in the New England area, which has a very strong and long standing straight edge culture. At shows, the ‘old guard’ hardcore doods still talk of the grand days when Al Barile was king and Springa was queen. Growing up here, not only have we seen the positive effects of a chemical free lifestyle, but also the absolute ridiculous, excessive and moronic results of straight edge fanaticism. There is nothing funnier than watching straight edge kids come and go (pun intended). Arguing the destructive nature of chemicals one day, then pounding a Natural Ice 40oz. the next. I see the serious potential for humor in that.

I am not sure if our straight edge influences adds any special element to our music. From a humor stand point, parody must have distinct poles (pun intended). Our choice on some level was to break open a very real and distinct issue within the straight edge and hardcore communities that is overlooked and ignored, then approach it from our own experiences. I don’t think that we consciously chose straight edge as a focus point, I think it culminated from our own lives and where we grew up, which then influenced our choices. More that just straight edge, our focus was really the new generation of hardcore that is even further polarized towards violence and masochistic behavior. Standing on the outside and appreciating the music, yet somehow feeling distant and left out. Like being in a room of 300-400 people and still feeling alone. Feeling like we needed to call people ‘faggots’ just so other people wouldn’t think to question our own sexuality. These were the experiences that really pushed me personally to form this band. And the way we chose to express those feelings, were to write and parody songs that would bring them closer to us and make them our own. Whew… this interview is serious. Damn you Dave for actual asking real questions, usually I can throw in alot more jokes, but these questions, wow… serious.

2. I recall Henry Rollins talking about NY hardcore in the documentary Attitude, suggesting that all the matinee CBGBs slamming and sweating and maleness seemed fairly queer. Yet, hardcore certainly has an homophobic edge. Do you think that you are at all challenging that edge through parody, or providing a space for real homosexual desire — no bullshit fierce needs? or both?

Holey Real-Question Batman! I don’t think it is shocking to say that hardcore culture has a very real homosexual element in it. Dancing, muscles, sweaty dudes jumping and thumping their chest…. every show is like some kind of wild homo-mating ritual. The real issue is that most hardcore and punk cultures do not allow for its participants to stray far from the pack. In a generation where the lines between ‘underground’ and ‘commercial’ are rapidly disappearing, punk and hardcore have taken on a militant atmosphere when it comes to differences. This creates a very uncomfortable place for those who see things or feel things different from ‘the mob’. Clothing, musical choices and, of course, sexuality are all things that are carefully and strategically monitored to maintain a feeling of independence and ‘unity’. The tragic part is that as it becomes more and more militant, the more it pushes away the traditional principals with which it was born and in turn, a sizable portion of its own people. In some cases, these kids take it upon themselves to create there own scene where they and other like them feel more comfortable. In the case of Queercore, it would be our utmost hope that it wouldn’t be separate, but instead, a part of. I think some bands like Limp Wrist have made inroads to that affect, and I applaud them for it. With YOTG I guess instead we have really highlighted the differences instead of the similarities, but as an artist we do what feels right, hoping that someone will find a laugh and maybe the messages that lies beneath. In a bubble we would be able to play on a bill with any of the hardcore bands we parody, but unfortunately the reality is that with the divisive nature of hardcore and punk, sub-genres fill a very real need but force artists to be received by some, and excluded by others. We fit into a very small sub-genre, which include only a small handful of bands. Our hope is that we don’t ostracize anyone, but instead open people up to their own feelings and get them more comfortable with the idea that there are gay kids in hardcore. That they matter just as much as anyone else.

3. Why Youth of Togay? Because Ray Cappo is a well-known Krisna whose attitude towards sexuality is controversial? Because songs like “Break Down the Walls” sounds like Act Up/Queer Nation slogans?! Do you see something potentially/implicitly queer in those songs?

Funny you mention this because when I first moved to LA, I answered a Craigslist ad about joining a hardcore band and when I met the guy, he was a Krisna. I am probably one of the most open and accepting people I know. But I started talking to this kid, and of course it got around to sex. He was telling me that in Krisna it is unhealthy indulge in your own sexual desires. That means; No Jerking Off, No Homosexuality and No thinking/watching or exploring sexual acts. Wow… that’s fucked up. God gave us a penis for a reason… it doesn’t get hard just for kicks. But the real shocker was that this young guy, had actually considered castration, just so he wouldnt have to think about sex anymore. Because, of course, this poor 20-something kid couldn’t wack it, or fuck. This is the religion that one of hardcore’s greatest heroes subscribes to. Holey fuck. And on a side note, their food is terrible. But I digress. I think most of us in the band regret choosing that name, only because it hearkens back to an older generation, and not the current generation of hardcore that we grew up on. Really, I think it just sounded silly and made us laugh. Of course there is something inherently homo-sexual about YOT lyrics and content. Maybe it wasn’t intended, but the emotion and purpose of those lyrics relate to anything which separates two groups longing for an end to divisiveness. But lets not give them too much credit, ‘Breaking Down The Walls’ is a populous message that has been used by everyone from politicians to poets for hundreds of years.

4. Is the music perhaps less about queerness, or more just about re-claiming any kind of sexuality in hardcore, and humor, which seems to get lost in the politics and angst?

No bones about it, our music is about queerness. I personally have always seen the humor and ridiculous nature of sex. When I’m in bed, there seems to be alot of fun going on, and laughing and embracing what a silly process the whole thing is. While exploring my own sexuality, I took a very comical approach to my own changing sexual desires when it came to my attraction to men. Sex is silly, man sex is even sillier. I mean who cant see the humor in wanting to put your mouth where someone poops? Or rubbing two dicks together? Hilarious. So I think this attitude was fundamental in forming what YOTG is. People feel much more comfortable having a laugh about something serious than approaching it head on. I think it was Richard Prior and his influence on me as a child that allowed me to not only bring personal things and potentially painful things out into the open, but also be able to laugh at them. This in turn also makes me more comfortable sharing them with others.

Going back to the contrasting nature of parody, hardcore kids and the hardcore scene in general take themselves VERY seriously. This was even more apparent during Bridge 9’s hissy-fit over one of our parodies. It was said best on a messageboard: “Hardcore is serious business”. Again this allowed us to have a very distinct place to create a humorous contrast. The Have Heart song “The Machinist” is a very well written, almost poetic take on the human work force and its place in society. We wrote “The Gaychinist” about having sex with a S human sex-machine. Politics and anger absolutely have their place, but there is plenty of room for some fun and funny hardcore. And as hardcore kids in general are a cross section of actual society, the amount of people with uncomfortable feelings towards sex and sexuality is relative. The US and its population are in a holding pattern with their own sexuality. Sure we’ve made some progress, but compared to the rest of the world, we’re way behind.

5. How do you relate, personally or musically, to “out” rockers like Knifed and Limp Wrist?

I think it shows great courage to put yourself and your believes out to the public in any fashion. And as artists, I think it is our duty to do so. I appreciate and admire bands like Knifed, Limp Wrist and Pansy Division simply on their merits as musicians. We’ve been lucky enough to meet the dudes in PD, and Mero from Knifed just put out an LP for us on his label. We draw influences from a wide variety of sources, and although I wouldn’t list them as direct influences musically, I would list them as inspirations. Personally I pull alot of inspiration from Wierd Al, Steve Martin, Richard Prior and a ton of comedians. I remember recording a tape as a kid doing my best Wierd Al impression and parodying “Blame it on the Rain”, I think I called it “Rame It On The Blain”. All of us come from a very solid background in hardcore and punk rock. We’ve all been in various bands and have had a life influenced by the principals and ideals taken from punk rock culture.

On a side note, “coming out” may seem like a fairly easy process to people on the outside, but it’s very difficult. Even within a culture that is suppose to encourage individuality, it can be a painful and difficult thing. When our first record came out, I was bombarded with questions about “who in the band is gay” and questions about my own sexuality, as I am the founder of the band and our spokesperson. I chose to be open, hoping it might inspire people within my community to be more comfortable with their sexuality. To some degree it has. But I paid the price. Once the word got out I was dragged through the mud personally and professionally. I heard it all. From how I wasn’t gay, to that I wasn’t gay enough, to all sorts of horrible things. A band even wrote and recorded a song trashing me and calling me a ‘faggot’. Also, the fact that I am bi-sexual seems to make everyone uncomfortable. So its not nearly as easy as it may seem. Try and be more open and understanding with your friends. As statistics go, there is a very likely chance that some of your friends have non-traditional sexual preferences, so support them and make them feel comfortable.

6. Much critical attention was given to Outpunk and homocore, which is now well over a decade behind us. Do you think it opened up punk rock for bands like you, or are you in fact reacting in some ways to the failures of them?

There is never failure when, as an artist, you follow your passion. Even though those bands may be gone, they definitely set a precedent from which newer bands have taken influence. I think that most of us understand that our time is fleeting. Bands and people come and go, things change, attitudes change, society changes and we all play our part. It’s our duty to not look at our art through egomaniacal glasses, but instead take a more humble approach. People make the difference, not which bands are hot or who’s movement meant what. We should do what we feel, and if there are others that can appreciate what we do, all the better. But the past isn’t what defines us. Outpunk came at a different time and place. What exists now shouldn’t be defined by what has happened, but instead by what is happening. If we dwell on what has gone, we will never be able to move forward or make progress. It’s very inspiring to see and meet young bands, that are doing what they love. Talking with young Queercore bands, I find them to be much more interested in what is happening today. As a new generation of queercore bands sprout in cities all over the world (and they are), we should be helping and motivating each other. We should be supporting our art and our communities. We cannot rely on a previous generation to define ours.

If you find this interview to be too serious, please pick up any number of our releases which will satisfy your need for jokes about balls, dudes-banging-dudes and dong-drenched-debauchery. I may take my opinions and beliefs seriously, but when it comes to YOTG’s music we’re all buttcheeks and gloryholes.

www. myspace. com/seriouslyhardcoreisalreadywickedgay