1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlboyari, Feb 25, 2012.

1. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

My transgender girly boyfriend introduced me to the show Doctor Who a few weeks ago and I'm absolutely hooked! Not a lot of people know about it, but it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Anyone else love it as much as I do?

2. JRNagoya

*Raises hand* I'm not sure where in the show you've started (9th, 10th, 11th Doctor or earlier), but welcome to the Whovian world. Personal favorite? David Tennant. Once you get to know him and his various companions (and after you've seen his run on the show), I recommend these two videos:

Comic Relief - Catherine Tate & David Tennant - YouTube BBC's Christmas Special Comic Relief with David Tennant and Catherine Tate

Doctor Who - Cast & Crew Special - YouTube - David Tennant's end of run special and dedication to The Proclaimer's "500 Miles"

3. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

I can't stand the Doctor! Always meddling in other species' affairs!

Long live Davros! LONG LIVE THE DALEKS!!!! EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I'm not sure which doctor I started with, because I've been watching it on netflix and it only has the new seasons. And David Tennant is also my favorite, even though I was surprised to find that he isn't actually British, but Scottish. I've tried watching all of the episodes in a row (only a few of the first new season considering I've been told the very first episodes of that season suck), but whenever my girly boy (transgender/girl in a guy's body/we're undecided on titles) comes over, she always skips around the seasons. My 'initiation' to become an 'official Whovian' was to watch the two episodes containing the weeping angels. It absolutely freaked me out, but it got me hooked!

5. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

the weeping angels episode (with matt smith) is a great episode. i recommend watching it from the beginning in 2005 (with chris eccelston).

6. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best episode is 'Blink'.

7. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I do agree that Blink is the best episode, but I also enjoy 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances'. Freaky, but so cool!

8. PianoNate

Well, I've never watched the Doc, although I'm a HUGE scifi fan ... I've just never known where to start ... so, I'm on netflix ... someone point me in the right direction, please.

BTW, I'm in LOVE with the hotness that is Torchwood ... that's a who spinoff right?

9. Jordash

I love Doctor Who!
    Does anyone listen to Cameleon Circuit? They're a band that only writes song about Doctor Who! Look them up on youtube or something, they're British, and amazing! :grin:

Preveiw: "Sally Spearow I wrote you a letter to make you feel better bout the fact that im gone. I may be stuck in the past, but my future is vast, dont go looking for me, girl, you've got to go on." -Blink by Cameleon Circut

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone else heard the rumour that they'll be bringing back a one episode companion from a few series ago to replace Amy and Rory when they leave next series? Most people are thinking Sally Sparrow or Madam Pompadour

11. b0i70y

I've never met anyone who hasn't heard of Doctor Who. I know people who've never seen it, though. Your statement about it not being very well known confuses me, though.

12. Holmes

Doctor Who is brilliant, I've watched every episode since the relaunch in 2005. I've enjoyed the latest Doctor and Amy as his companion the most, she has the right sassy unphased attitude to him.

You should try Torchwood too once you get through Doctor Who, or even start watching once you meet Captain Jack in DW.

13. Mogget

I like Ten and Eleven equally, need to rewatch Nine to get a better opinion of him. That said, I like the storylines Ten has more than Eleven's, and Donna Noble will always be my favorite companion. She makes the world better by shouting at it.

14. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

PianoNate, I wasn't sure where to start, either, and Netflix only has the new seasons, but I'd start with episode 9 of the first season, the other episodes of that season aren't as good. And the reason I don't think it's very well known is that people in my area usually get an extremely confused expression when I bring it up, but then again, most of the people here are obsessed with Jersey Shore and other shows on MTV.

15. stephaniko

they have the older doctors on Netflix as well but you have they have it split up by story arch rather than season. Its an amazing show I recommend the band "Chameleon Circuit" they sing songs about doctor who and they are actually quite good :slight_smile:

16. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I've heard quite a lot of reccomendations for Chameleon Circuit, I think I'll check them out sometime :wink:

17. Ell45a

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Doctor who is pretty awsome in my opinion :slight_smile:

18. TruffleDude

Dr. Who is the best, and David Tennant is my favorite Dr. by a long shot.

If you haven't gotten into the spin-off called "Torchwood" I highly recommend that you do. It is also written by Russel T. Davies, who happens to be gay. I think that Torchwood has really pushed the boundaries of how gays are portrayed on television. You'll notice this quickly, especially with the character Jack Harkness.

19. Minerva Diane

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love Doctor Who. I started watching it in high school and was hooked.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Love it and the spin-off Torchwood.
    Have only seen the newer seasons though.
    Both Tennant and Smith play a great doctor, just in a different way, but in the end Tennant still appeals to me more.
    Great show, favorite Sci-fi after Star Trek.