Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Entertainment and Media

Entertainment and Media Chat about music, movies, books, fashion, sports, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Out to everyone

Prop 8 Play

I know theres a thread in the LGBT Rights forum.. but I think it should be mentioned here as well:

Quote:
Starry L.A. Reading of 8, With Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch, Will Be Streamed Online
By Adam Hetrick
01 Mar 2012

The all-star March 3 Los Angeles reading of Academy Award winner Dustin Lance Black's 8, which puts California's battle for marriage equality center stage, will be streamed live online.

The American Foundation for Equal Rights announced that thanks to Google and YouTube, the live reading will be made available for free online. It will begin streaming at 7:30 PM PST. Rob Reiner will direct 8, which is presented at the Wilshire Ebell Theater.

You can click here to RSVP to watch the March 3 live stream.

The cast includes Academy Award winner George Clooney as David Boies, one of the attorneys for the plaintiffs in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger case, which sought to overturn the voter-approved Prop 8 measure, denying same-sex couples the right to marry.

Complete casting for the evening follows: Academy Award nominee Brad Pitt, Golden Globe Award winner Kevin Bacon, Golden Globe Award winner Chris Colfer, Academy Award nominee John C. Reilly, Matt Bomer, Campbell Brown, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Vanessa Garcia, Christine Lahti, Jane Lynch, Matthew Morrison, Rory O'Malley, Jansen Panettiere, James Pickens, Jr., Martin Sheen, Yeardley Smith, George Takei and Bridger Zadina.Pitt will play United States District Chief Judge Vaughn R. Walker, who found Prop. 8 unconstitutional; with Kevin Bacon as Charles J. Cooper, the lead attorney for the anti-marriage proponents of Prop. 8; Colfer as Ryan Kendall, a young man who testified about his experience in "reparative therapy" as a teenager; Sheen as plaintiffs' lead co-counsel Theodore B. Olson; Lahti and Curtis as plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, a lesbian couple together for 11 years and the parents of four boys; Morrison and Bomer as plaintiffs Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, a gay couple together over ten years.

Lynch is cast as National Organization for Marriage co-founder Maggie Gallagher; and Reilly as David Blankenhorn, founder and president of the Institute for American Values.

Academy Award-winning "Milk" screenwriter Black wrote the play that chronicles the reversal of California's anti-gay marriage legislation, Prop. 8. The case to overturn Prop 8, Perry v. Schwarzenegger, was not televised, and all video documentation has remained under a federal protective order. A judge ruled in September that all trial tapes must be made public. 8 incorporates transcripts from the trial and observations and interviews with the plaintiffs and their families.

"This play will continue to show Americans one by one that truth and justice will prevail over prejudice and fear," AFER board president Chad Griffin said in a statement. "Try as they might, the anti-marriage proponents of Proposition 8 cannot hide their discriminatory arguments from the American people. Until every citizen can equally enjoy the fundamental freedom to marry, AFER will continue to fight in the courts of law and the court of public opinion and we will win."
Anybody else excited bout this?
geordie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Re: Prop 8 Play

Hope I can listen. I think it's about what...10:30pm EST?
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
WillowMaiden

Tournaments Won: 75

I just finished watching it! It was so great! Everyone did a great job, I loved seeing so many familiar faces. I only wish I was there in the audience.

"We fought prejudice and fear, and prejudice and fear lost."

Sweet music to my ears those words. It was an outstanding play.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Flappychap

they need to do a film adaptation of this, and put it in theatres.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 10:59 PM   #5
EC Addict

I missed it >_< Damn it I totally forgot...
Old 4th Mar 2012, 12:15 AM   #6
The Cat's Meow

Out Status: Out

It was recorded. Here's video of the play. Skip to 30:00 for the actual start of the play.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Flappychap

I would actually watch the intro. its really well done too.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Looking for advice and friends!

Orientation: (Mostly) Closeted Gay
Out Status: My parents

I don't think it was advertised well enough. I caught the last half of it and loved it. they really do need to make a movie of it so people can see what really happened in the courtrooms. I think if they would have advertised it more, more people would have seen it. I read that 200,000 people watched it live. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm guessing that was mostly people from the LGBT community. More people that aren't in our community need to see it.
MusicMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2012, 05:05 PM   #9
EC Addict

They've recorded the production, you can view it here:
Showyou: LIVE SATURDAY! "8": A Play about the Fight for Marriage Equality
Old 4th Mar 2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Flappychap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan12 View Post
I don't think it was advertised well enough. I caught the last half of it and loved it. they really do need to make a movie of it so people can see what really happened in the courtrooms. I think if they would have advertised it more, more people would have seen it. I read that 200,000 people watched it live. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm guessing that was mostly people from the LGBT community. More people that aren't in our community need to see it.
the play it self was advertised for months, but the live stream i think only has been advertised for about a week or so before it happened.

I think most of the people who watched it on the live feed did so because they have a vested interest in the outcome of prop 8, and support equality.

Putting it out in the theatres would make it harder to ignore.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Out to 3 people

They did an amazing job with this- it's outstanding!! There were several moments where I almost clapped along with the audience!
Old 4th Mar 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Flappychap

for me, i clapped, even though I was alone in my apartment, when martin sheen ended the closing arguements, and when ever jane lynch showed how sue sylvestorish maggie gallagher is.