1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead and Dale? *Contains Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WillowMaiden, Mar 9, 2012.

1. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Who's been watching since the show came back and how to do feel about this half of the season vs. the first half. Also, how do feel about what happened to Dale and about Dale himself? Have your opinions about any of the characters changed since this half started, you know, favorites being unfavorited and vice versa.

I love the second half of this season! It's exciting. There's more action, more zombie, and much better drama.

Laurie finally got told off (can't stand that bitch) so I like Andrea now and forgive her for being annoying in the first half and almost killing Daryl. I also like Carl now. It's not that I didn't like him before, it's just that he didn't do anything for me to have any opinion about him. He was just Rick's kid for a while, but now he's becoming his own person, it's fun to watch him develop. He's going a little crazy, but I kinda admire him you know, he's trying to grow up. Still a kid, but at least he's trying. It's obvious he was trying to show initiative when he goes into the shed (which I think he went in there to kill Randall himself), but then later he stupidly taunts a Walker instead of just killing it and almost gets eaten. It's like one step forward, half step back, half step forward (telling Rick to take the shot--pleasant surprise that was) with this kid. He's a survivor, I'll give him that. I'm glad he's not letting his Mom baby him so much anymore, but then again she's too busy walking around like she's "Queen Bee" (thank you Andrea) to even know where the hell he goes most of the day.

Honestly, Carl's looking better than Rick. This dude says one thing and does another. He says he doesn't care about Randall, but he still saves him multiple times, says he could have killed Otis if he needed to just like Shane, but can't even kill blindfolded and bound Randall with no Walkers around, just space and oppurtunity. Dude! I mean seriously how long are you gonna dilly dally with this crazy Randall kid (who was on the show Rescue Me--fun fact :wink:)?? Honestly dude, do what you have to and move on. Rick, learn the 5 Genuis G's-Good God Girl Get a Grip. So your kid walked in and you don't want him to see, fine, shoo the kid out and take the fucking shot! Rick....I just don't have a lot of faith in his leadership skills anymore. He's a person that I'm starting to unfavorite.

Love Shane as always! <3 I just wish he wasn't hung up on Laurie. I think she'll possibly be the one thing that screws him up one day. I just have that feeling.

As for Dale...I couldn't stand Dale. I'm sorry. He was a self righteous douchebag that has had it out for Shane for no good reason. He was just so annoying and I'm happy he was the one who got killed off. If it had to happen to any of them, I'm glad it's him because by the end of that "group meeting" (which was a stupid waste of time) he was clearly the weak link up there on his high horse. Dale, just ugh, go fix the damn engine. That's your role! You're getting too much screen time now with these damn nostrils flared for the motherfucking Gods and shit looking like a banana crazed baboon. Just shut up already!

So yeah, glad Dale's gone, he was annoying. Love Shane still. Rick, I'm starting not to like. Andrea, I like now. Laurie, can't stand her still. Carl, proud of him and interested in seeing him grow. Randall, new guy, yeah that dude is obviously a whack job (did you see how he taunted that Walker woman and his scary sociopath face when he was talking to Daryl about the rape of some two girls by his camp mates. How much you wanna bet he probably did participate?) I don't trust the guy. Should've had Daryl kill him since he was in there beating him up. Oh Daryl...I love you! <3

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Rants? Get it all out. :slight_smile: Only two episodes left! (!)

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2012 at 07:09 PM ----------

I also don't like that they're stuck on this damn farm. It's only when they're off the farm that the show is really good and shows all that exiciting zombie action and better drama I mentioned. Like Shane killing Otis, Shane and Rick's fight, Glenn Shane and Hershel's run in with those dude/Randall's intro. I like the second half of the season because of two or three episodes that had a lot of things happen away from that stupid place. Mainly everything the goes on there is a waste of time, boring, and trivial.

2. JRNagoya

The funny thing about Dale was that I liked him. I saw him as the voice of wisdom and calm control. Something that is in dire short supply especially considering the end-times scenario that's being played out in The Walking Dead. But I also understand where you're coming from. When society is turned on its head, all the rules go out the window and you're left making some decisions and doing things you've never though possible. There's a time and place for debate; and there's also a time when you just need to pull the trigger. Do I feel Rick should have shot Randall? Not at all. Once you go down that path, it just gets easier the next time around. Soon enough, you're turning on each other. Now the two guys back at the bar? Absolutely. They were just too dangerous to the group's survival to be left alive.

One thing I really enjoy about the show is the dialogue it can produce. There is a lot of material there that people can debate on. How exactly would society degenerate during an apocalyptic crisis? Probably something similar to this show.

I do agree with you about the farm. They've spent way too much time there. Having spent 10 years on and off working on commercial sets, I do understand why producers decided to keep things localized. It's a closed set. No real need to do excessive redressing, pull permits to shut down streets, find additional locations to film, placate local businesses and families when you're filming in their neighborhood. Buy yea, time to move on.

As for predictions, I have no idea. I long thought Shane should've been zombie-bait. He's too much of a loose cannon. He's going to get somebody hurt or killed.

3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

That's also what I love about the show. It makes people think realistically about what they would and could do in a situation such as this one and it's interesting to hear what people really think. I love thinking and discussing about how I would possibly react when it really came down to the wire like in Walking Dead. Me and the people I've talked about this stuff with always end up surprising ourselves and each other. I love it! :slight_smile:

4. Katelynn

See, while I find Rick's conscience to be somewhat of a hindrance to the group, I also think it is a strength as well, since he wants to do what needs to be done, but he clearly also doesnt want to lose his humanity either. Something, I might add, that Daryl really has seemed to have gotten in touch with in the 2nd season. It started out being about finding Merle for him, but he really did become part of the group. You see how hard Sophia's death hit him, especially considering the effort, not just physical but emotional as well, he put into searching for her. Daryl has become part of the group while Shane has really pulled away from it. I do agree about Laurie tho, I was happy to see Andrea lay it out for her & put her in her place. It really appalled Laurie that Shane had lied to her about Rick being back & fine when he went out loookig for her. It never entered her head that she was being self-centred & in the wrong about going out to get Rick, she smashed up the car & almost got devoured by Walkers, yet Shane was in the wrong for lying to her. It didnt seem to occur to her at all that perhaps she was the problem in that whole thing. Im still waiting for Merle to show up again tho. As for Dale, I liked him a bit, since he was sort of a voice of wisdom & experience, altho I will agree that he could be quite a bit on a high moral horse at times as well. Im looking forward to seeing how things progress!

5. unknownerror

gah! I'm so upset about what happened to Dale!!!

of course my reaction is somewhat jaded by having read all of the awesome comic series. Everyone is acting lame compared to how they did in the series and that loser shane is still alive. on top of which Dale never gets to develop his relationship with Andrea (which was one of the more endearing aspects of nearly 80 issues of the book) nor does he get to die in the awesome way that he does in the comics. plus Jeffrey Demunn is so awesome. When i saw the show was in development by Frank Darabont, I turned to my buddy and said "I'll bet you anything Jeffrey Demunn is Dale"

as for this season I'm mostly liking it, but they need to move the heck on from the farm. They've cast someone to play the governor so they are at least headed for some very fertile territory next season :slight_smile:

6. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also really like the various moral/ethical issues that they weave into the apocalyptic setting of the show. In particular the episode from a couple of weeks ago dealing with suicide actually helped me get through some really dark/depressed thoughts I have been dealing with. While I've never seriously considered suicide an option, the whole idea of needing to "cross a line" to remember where it is and re-finding a "reason to live" definitely resonated with me. In my case I guess it was just crossing the line by having dark thoughts that was enough to get me to begin the rebound. The show is a lot deeper than I think a lot of people give it credit for.

As far as the other recent developments on the show, I actually was kind of sad that Dale died since he symbolized a lot of the ideals of humanity that the group had left. And even if you were annoyed by Dale, you have to admit that his death was a pretty horrible one to have his stomach clawed out. At least Daryl provided him a merciful end to the pain though. In regards to Carl, it is interesting for the writers to explore how a kid growing up in that type of environment would react. However, his antics in the last episode had me yelling at the TV (especially the fact that his actions with the zombie in the bog indirectly led to Dale's death!). And with Shane, something tells me he'll be meeting his end soon too after almost killing Rick and his possessive bullshit around Laurie and Carl. And while the idea of them putting Randal to death kind of bothered me, I don't trust the bastard either. They should have left him on the damn fence he was impaled on. I think all the time they've spent on the farm will be sharply juxtaposed with whatever situation/setting they end up in at the end of this season. The relative insulation from the zombies they've experienced at the farm is probably going to come crashing down. I can't wait!

7. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Oh my god Sunday's episode!

Well the lot of you called it...Shane's dead. I'm gonna miss him, but the man was losing his mind. I didn't care about Randall, but the way Shane killed him made me cringe just a little on the inside (scared me a bit) and mainly made me concerned about Shane. Then of course it was later revealed that he had indeed lost of his damn marbles.

Oh and a yay Carl for making a head shot. :eusa_clap Even though it had to be Shane, someone he looked up to as a alternative father figure for some time.

Okay, now more importantly...WTF is going on?!! Why are people turning into Walkers without being bitten? Now I've heard theories of the thing that was whispered to Rick in the first season by the CDC guy being "we're all infected." I don't know if that's true, but the thought of it scares the crap out of me. Perhaps he did say it. That would mean that everyone is carrying the disease and will turn, no matter how they die, into a Walker, right?

Maybe this is the beginning of the show getting out of the people drama and going more into the Walker situation i.e. how they came to be, the disease that made them, etc. I really look forward to getting into that stuff. Of course while they're on this farm I doubt they'll be finding anything out there and by the looks of how this week's ended/previews for next week, it doesn't look like the gang will be staying there for long. So that's good. Hopefully we're introduced to some new people by the end of this season and in the next season.

All I know is that Daryl better survive this attack! I love that man, and totally agree Kiersten, he has really become a part of the group, without compromising who he is as a survivor (EH-HM, Glenn...can't have a girlfriend and kill zombies? Or maybe you just can't kill Zombies...) Daryl's not letting his emotional ties stop him from being a good hunter. I'm not gonna give Glenn too much shit though, he did kill Walker Randall, I'm proud of him. I'm just busting his balls. Besides I don't actually think he has to be tied down to that Maggie girl anyway all cause they boned in a near empty pharmacy and he thought she was cool. There are pros and cons to the automatic mate system in the post-apocalyptic world and Glenn is riding the cons train, so I say leave him be on that.

As for Dale, I also agree that even though I really didn't like him, the way he died was very fucked up. And also kind of unbelievable. How the hell was the thing strong enough to rip his stomach open....or maybe that has something to do with the disease they all carry, like it weakens them physically or something? But wait a minute, another question, wouldn't carrying the disease keep the already Walkerfied people away because they can...I don't sense that the other people are like them, only their Walkerness hasn't sprouted yet? I don't know just throwing some ideas out there.

Oh and Comic Book readers, I love ya, but I know were getting into possible big spoilers territory so please try to keep the spoilers to a minimum. I want to know what you think will happen to, just don't give anything concrete away...elude to your heart's content. :icon_wink

Happy discussing. :slight_smile:

8. JRNagoya

Just finished watching that episode. Very samurai-esque, that fight scene between Shane and Rick. All it needed was snow and it could have been Kill Bill all over again. I'm kind of happy with the way that all played out. It seemed to be the only way that situation could have played out. Also, I hereby nominate Laurie for worst mother-of-the-year. Damned woman can't keep keep track of her own son. I started to like Carl, but not so much this season. Especially the last few episodes. A bit unfair I know. Especially given the situation they're all in. Still don't like the brat.

The last scene makes things very interesting. It seems that whatever caused the zombie outbreak is either mutating or coming out of a dormant phase. I wonder if it'll pass on to animals now. Zombie Bambie. Zambie!

9. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Awesome theory. When there are Zambies running around the world, all hope will be lost. :lol::lol::tears::tears:...Oh Zambie.

Anyway, yeah I loved the Shane and Rick scene. I loved the setting, the scenery was great very Samurai I agree, just the whole way it was directed was really cool. Great shots and dialogue. Yup, it just had to go down that way.

And yeah totally agree about Laurie. She tells three people a day to watch her kid--a kid mind you that she wasn't even watching in the first place--whenever she decided to go off and do something not helpful and unneccessary. Notice everytime she tells someone to watch Carl, Carl was never even around her to begin with. That person will have to find her damn kid first just to look after him. That woman is so far up her own ass, I can't stand her. She thinks she's the ruler of the women in the house, even giving Maggie pointers about how to talk to Glenn as those two have been a couple for years now or something. Who the fuck made her woman-wife-mother of the century, the wisest of them all? Her kid is always missing, her husband is always leaving, and her boyfriend is (was) crazy. That means she can't watch her kid, she can't keep her husband around even with all her wet puppy eyed looks, and she toyed with one dude's emotions so much that he left brain at her doorstep along with his heart smashed to pieces. She's the last person I would go to for advice, the bitch lives in Lala Land where she reigns as the Queen of Stupidity. Also, I'm no feminist by a long shot, I'm not even sure what the hell that is, but she can take her "bare-foot and pregnant, the woman are in the laundry basket, the men are in the barracks and as long as you stroke their ego you can get whatever you want" bullshit mentally somewhere else because it's just annoying to hear and see.

That's why I really like Andrea. I loved seeing out there with the guys killing Walkers, when just an episode after Laurie tried to make her feel some type a way for hunting Walkers with them. It's not a gender thing Laurie! It's about survival and just being a strong person with a greater chance of making than some others who want to rely on others to take care of them based on some bullshit principles (EH-HEM!). Telling her some "there's plenty of work that needs doing around here." Girl, please! Get the hell out of here. Pick up a gun, stop being codependent and selfish girl. Do something with your life.

See, look at that. Laurie gets the Detroit coming out of me sometimes. :lol:

10. unknownerror

yeah I really enjoyed this week's episode...except I was sorta hoping for randall to survive..

I of course will be very cautious about comic spoilers..and is why i said things the way I did. for christmas my Sister, who'd only seen the show received the boardgame based on the comic (yes theres a boardgame based on the show too and its much worse) she really enjoyed it, but in the many plays we had during the week I visited I let little things spill...I also convinced her to read the comics...(which everyone should :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and she was a little mad about some of the spoilers I'd given.

I promise to be careful with that stuff :wink:

AS for Shane dying? yay, finally! what I loved about it, is that it echoes how it happens at the end of the very first arc of the comics. Shane is out with Rick, and draws down on him...only to get shot in the head by Carl (and no he wasn't a zombie)

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sad Dale died, he was the conscience of the group

12. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

ANDREA!!! NOOOO! SOMEONE GET HER!!! Daryl you saved the wrong girl dammit!

I really hope she survivess...be back in half an hour.

13. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Andrea will be just fine. She has Michonne. NOTHING gets past Michonne.

14. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

So creepy, yet badass Grimm Reaper person saves Andrea. Hey I'm down with that! I'm just happy she made it! I was rooting for her during every scene!

Laurie girl...you are the most high maintenance wishy-washy piece of pussy I have ever seen. Girl, don't stand there and treat Rick differently as if you weren't just whispering in his ear like a god damn mythical Siren in heat, telling him he needed to do something about Shane because of this, that, and third. Well, sweetie, problem solved! What the fuck do you want girl! Just gone somewhere, you're just so frustrating.

Great last episode, they left it at as a cliff hanger (bitches) with this ominous as mansion back there so I will definitely be watching next season. I'm just glad the show is finally branching out and introducing new interesting people.

I'm looking forward to next season!...Are you?

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2012 at 06:39 PM ----------

Don't know who that is, but I'm not going to ask because I'm guessing you've read the comics and I don't want any big spoilers. BUT, this Michonne, as you called her/him (not sure) looks really badass and interesting so I look forward to getting to know him/her. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:thumbsup:

15. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    [Spoiler ahead]

They're no longer following the comic with Dale's premature death (I kinda liked the way he died in the comic and his survival in the comic did eventually reveal another important aspect of the nature of the zombie virus). Now some other poor soul has to take over that role. I wonder who.

It's actually a good thing that they took some liberty with the plot so that comic fans have something to look forward to. However, I think the changes weren't for the better.

I didn't really like the comic to begin with and now the series is even worse than the comic. I think I might stop watching it.

#15 Carpe Diem, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  16. dreamcatcher

Yes! I completely agree with what you said about Lori!! She was complaining this whole entire time about how he needed to do something about Shane and now she's all pissy that he actually did something:dry: I hope they kill her off....

Finally, Rick put everyone in their place. Seriously, they can't shut their mouths about Rick's leadership and yet they do nothing to make things better. I didn't like Rick as much before as he was too noble but he's growing on me now. I'm curious as to how much he's going to change next season after killing his best friend. Definitely a much darker and a much more interesting Rick.

I'm so glad they didn't kill off Andrea. She's such a kick ass female character! I don't know who this Michonne is but she seems awesome. Don't know what she's doing with two zombies attached to her arms but I guess I'll find out next season how that works...

Did everyone notice how every single shot made was a headshot? I mean, really? The head is the hardest place to shoot but I'll cut Walking Dead some slack. Awesome last couple of episodes. Psyched for next season :icon_bigg

17. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dale sucked. That actor did a terrible job, first of all, and he was just super annoying about everything. Obviously this young attractive woman isn't into you dude, get over it. No one respected him because he didn't command any kind of respect. He didn't provide anyone with anything other than fixing the engine, and since he died, they learned how to do that on their own.

I hate Rick too. The actor isn't very good, and the character is a TERRIBLE leader. He inspires nothing but fear in everyone. Every difficult situation they come to, he just freaks out and gets all "I'm a Man! I have to take care of my wife and kid because it's my manly duty" but in that stupid batman-esque voice. Constantly yelling. Why can't anyone on this show have a simple discussion and do their own thing? I know they have to work together, but that doesn't mean they have to put all of their cards in only one person.

Andrea is getting cooler, and Daryl is pobably the most realistic about it. And he's smart because he uses a cross bow, which is silent and just as effective as a bullet, not to mention that he can save ammunition and reuse arrows.

There are a lot of parts of this show that they are really not doing well. The comics are written really well and are compelling on their own in the pace that they are using. The show does too many things just for the ratings and not enough things to make an actual good story.

18. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Along with the perfect headshots, how many cartridges did Hershel's shotgun carry? The guy was seemingly blasting away almost the entire time without reloading.

That was a good finale with tantalizing cliffhangers for next season. Thankfully we only have to wait until the fall! I haven't read the comics, but it seems like the hooded person that saved Andrea must be from the prison they showed at the end (at least in the after-show program they said it is a prison). I wonder if that's where Randal and the guys Rick shot at the bar are from? Based on Randal saying that his people were a rough group, that would make sense for a prison setting. I wonder if Merle is going to appear there too? I'm also still hoping to see the father and son again from the pilot episode that helped Rick (I really like the actor who played that father, who I had seen on "Jericho" when that show was on a few years ago). I wonder if any gay characters will appear on the show? Also, it was interesting to see the character change in Rick. It will be cool to see how he reacts upon encountering the new group of people at the prison. Something tells me he won't be calling the shots there.

Also, I have to say that the hooded character at the end really struck me as resembling "the guy" mascot that the band Disturbed uses on its album covers. Pretty kick-ass way to make an entrance and save Andrea regardless. I hope Andrea and Daryl survive throughout the show...they are definitely my favorites on the Walking Dead.:dead:

#18 PerfectInsanity, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  19. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Andrea and Daryl are my favorites too! If there can only be two survivors when this show is over, I want it to be Andrea and Daryl. I want the both of them to make it to the end. It seems unlikely that they wouldn't. They're both really smart and have great survival instincts. Daryl was already off the farm while everyone was still running around killing zombies and looking for people like stupid asses. And Andrea was a fucking Grade A track star through those woods, just non stop. Her scenes were so exciting! Those two have to make it.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2012 at 08:04 AM ----------

I love how I was super annoyed by Rick throughout most of this season and then on the last episode I was completely on his side, backing him up with "yeah, you tell them, Rick" all over the place. :lol: That cracks me up. I'm just glad he's becoming more interesting. It's definitely a good thing. It's not like I want to hate Rick so I'm glad he's becoming a bit more badass at least. He's not letting all these people bitch at him and just taking it like a holy man who can't tell a motherfucker to shut the fuck up or leave.

Good for you Rick! :grin:

#19 WillowMaiden, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  20. unknownerror

I had to avoid this thread before I watched that last episode. and I'm glad I did :slight_smile: yay Michonne has shown up, if people are wondering about her 2 chained zombies

SPOILERS FROM COMIC
    Michonne has been carrying around zombies of her ex-lovers(with arms removed for safety reasons) as deterrent smell-wise like Rick and Glenn did in the first season to get out of Atlanta

a nice action packed episode that sets up next season getting to the prison, easily the best part of the comic series. I very much can't wait. I've also got to echo other sentiments that Lorie is becoming just way too annoying. I really hope Rick starts to be actual Rick next season....though he is starting to show some promise