1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poetry & Spoken Word

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mrzach, Mar 24, 2012.

1. mrzach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone write and/or perform poetry? I have been doing for about a year now :slight_smile:

Do you have any favourite poets/poems?

2. EmmettBlack

Anything by Edgar Allen Poe, or Oscar Wilde . . .I'm an old school romantic :slight_smile:

What's some of yours?

3. girlboyari

girlboyari Guest

I agree, Edgar Allen Poe is one of the greatest poets/short story writers of all time, my favorite would have to be 'Annabel Lee'.

4. BudderMC

I WISH I could do spoken word. I have such a respect for people who can do it. It's amazing, really.

A friend showed me this video and I gotta say, I've watched it a few times over just for the spoken word parts:

[YOUTUBE]0snNB1yS3IE[/YOUTUBE]

5. Paper Heart

I've been trying to get into spoken word recently. Its an incredible art.

6. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write poetry constantly! Also, I love Edgar Allan Poe, and Sarah K. :slight_smile:

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

These are two of my favorite spoken word pieces, the second of which is relevant to this forum.

[YOUTUBE]_UISd1Loam8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]o6tsXdfrGXQ[/YOUTUBE]

There's a café in the downtown part of the city I live in that has open mics twice a month, and there's usually a lot of great poets and spoken word artists there. They're always awesome, and it makes me feel alive to go there and listen to them. Their awesomeness inspired me to write an original piece myself that I read about a week ago. Standing in front of the crowd and feeling their reactions to my words was an amazing experience; I really hope I can get the inspiration to write another one so I can read again.

8. colorful

Gosh I love spoken word. <3 You have to have the voice/tone for it. Haha. I could just listen to it all day (in fact I'm listening to it now. Haha.)

I'm not incredibly into the whole poetry/spoken word scence, but I do write some things and I have started going to a writing club at the library.

9. Carpe Diem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love Edgar Allan Poe's short stories too but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Emily Dickinson or William Blake. They're classics! Me likey Dickinson's poetry! :grin:

10. mrzach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some good choices so far, and some cool stuff i havent heard before, awesome :slight_smile:
    My favourites are Scroobius Pip and Kate Tempest for spoken word. As for old school poetry, I like Ginsberg, Blake, Shakespeare. Also, a lot more - I won't list them unless you want me too, there's A LOT! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Naren

I write poetry alot, and I put it on Tumblr. I have about 70 or so. I would post the link to my blog (which is not connected to me in any way) on here but apparently I'm not allowed...

12. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently made a thread for Andrea Gibson. She does spoken word and slam poetry. You should check it out! :slight_smile:

13. Vexious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    .....Umm I write poetry..

14. Silver Sparrow

I just recently fell in love with spoken word poetry when I got the chance to meet Phil Kaye. It is really cool how direct spoken word feels.

15. Romi

I used to write much more poetry than I do now. I've moved from poetry into my true passion, novels and novellas. Still, I suppose you could say I still write poetry, seeing as how I continue to write lyrics for songs. I've always composed songs in my head and the lyrics are a vital part of that for me. For some people song lyrics aren't that different from poetry. So there's that.

And I've gotten into slam poetry after my last semester spent in uni. It all started in theater class and let me tell you...it's such a rush. Slam poetry...I love it.

16. redsponges

I write poety all the time it's not brilliant but it lets me vent. I love spoken word. Kavi Ade's 'IT' is my favourite of what i've seen so far.