1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adele the new gay icon?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kris B, Apr 21, 2012.

1. kris B

#1 kris B, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. FRICKIN A I LOVE ADELE. Sorry, I'm just like in love with her music.

3. Level75

I like Adele's music, yes. Her music is the only thing on pop radio stations right now that doesn't sound like an electronic migraine.

4. Jonathan

I like Adele's music...but why exactly should she be considered a gay icon? The survey that the article talks about just shows that some gay people like her music, it does not necessarily mean that she has become a gay icon. Being a gay icon is fighting for the LGBT community, not just producing music that some people like. Has she done something that I have missed/forgotten about that was productive and supporting the LGBT community?

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol though, when has Kylie Minogue even been considered a gay icon? I personally never found her fascinating in the least. Love Adele though.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Adele. She's very talented and quite beautiful. Is she a "gay icon"? Not in my book.

The formula for gay icons has always baffled me. Liza Minnelli, Judy Garland, Cher (who has contributed to LGBT equality, so she's sort of immune to my criticism in this post), Kylie Minogue, Barbra Striesand, what qualifies them as gay icons? Just because their music/other projects are popular among a larger percentage of people (most of whom happen to be gay) that makes them an icon in our community?

I agree with Jonathan. Being a gay icon should involve fighting for equality on behalf of all LGBT individuals.

And hiring a gay hairdresser doesn't count as supporting gay rights. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. steel03

I would rather not need an icon.
    Or if we must have an icon, I would rather he or she be LGBT and/or known primarily for working toward LGBT equality. The civil rights leaders we remember were not white entertainers, they were black orators. I would rather have a fantastic LGBT orator than a straight singer. Not that I won't take what I can get, and of course not that straight people and entertainers can't or shouldn't support LGBT equality.

8. MusicMan12

I'm pretty sure Gaga still reigns as the biggest gay icon. I have never even heard Adele talk about the LGBT community...

I like her music though!

9. Lewis

I like Adele, but not because she's a 'gay-icon', because she's a talented individual with a great personality.

10. ArcaneVerse

Really? I always thought she wore her status as more of a fashion accessory then a political statement.

I agree with others that you have to do more then be liked within the gay community to obtain the gay icon status. I believe Kylie Minogue has done a lot for the gay community over the span of her career but I may be wrong.

I don't know if Adele has done anything for gay rights so I wont say much about that but I wouldn't mind her being labeled an icon, it would be nice to have someone more respectable music wise as an icon. She has more talent then Kylie and a shit load more then gaga.