1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overrated and Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nathan, May 13, 2012.

1. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Everyone has a movie that everyone else seems to love, but they hate. And everyone has a movie that nobody they love, but nobody understands why. What are yours?

My pic for overrated movie is probably Midnight in Paris. Everyone else seems to love it, but I just hate all the characters, and nothing happened in the entire story that actually got me to care about the characters. I never got the sense that there was anything important at stake. I just don't understand the appeal.

Probably my favorite Underrated movie is Alice, Sweet Alice. It's not the kind of movie I usually go for; It was a cheesy slasher movie made in the early 70s (before Halloween, funnily enough). Despite the fact that it's sometimes a bit silly, the direction actually works really well, the acting is pretty decent, and, although it's not exactly scary, its atmosphere is amazingly tense, it's haunting, and it is interesting. Unlike a lot of other slasher movies, you actually do care about the characters, or at least find it intriguing to see them interact. This might just be me though, because I can definitely see how someone could find this movie horrible. :slight_smile:

2. ArcaneVerse

Oh yes sooo many overrated films these days! Avatar for one was a complete waste of time, unoriginal for the most part and the story dear god was horrible. Little Miss sunshine also, love the genre hated this film with a passion. Oh and of course every Harry Potter and Twilight movie ever made, both for different reasons though....Ill add more later when I think of them XD

Most of the films I watch are underrated and aren't well known movies tbh so I wont list them.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Disagree about Avatar, I LOVE that film!!

Overrated: Titanic. I am so sick of the Jack and Rose thing. The plot: A ship goes, then sinks, and loads of people die. The end. The whole love story thing...makes me want to vomit.

Underrated: I can't actually think of one right now, will post later if I think of something.

4. GayJay

i think titanic is overrated yeah what the film stands for was a big tragic event but the film is awful. Stupid mistakes in it make it too soppy and yet everyone seems to 'cry their heart out at it'

5. ArcaneVerse

huh Really? what about Avatar was amazing for you? I'm really curious as I just couldn't see anything redeeming about it, I dunno to me the story was cliche and uneventful, the acting wasn't horrible but nothing amazing either. The graphics were well made and amazing for sure but that doesn't make a good movie. The world, well I've seen many similar things if not better on Deviantart. Most of it was pieced together from so many other things its not funny, so very unoriginal.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about Titanic though. It was a good film, not great and so not worth the amount of hype it had and still has to this day. Oh and ffs why would you release it in bloody 3D? I mean really XD.

Oh and around the same time as Avatar. The Hurt Locker, though I think I need to watch this again and give it another go but when I first watched it omg it was painful and slow and the only good part i remember was when our power went out and I got a break from watching it lol.

#5 ArcaneVerse, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may disagree with me on this, but the thing I loved about Avatar was the spiritual message within the movie. It really draws attention to our real life situation about how we treat our planet, but I will stop there because I have a feeling I'm going to get accused of waffling if I continue. Also, I really wish I could live on Pandora - it would be such an ideal place with amazing values, and it's absolutely beautiful.

And I did not go and watch Titanic in 3D. I was like, if I want to watch Titanic I'll watch it on a DVD in my bedroom, ktthxbi.

7. ArcaneVerse

Actually I agree with you on that point, it was a very powerful message and maybe the only thing that I could ever agree is good about that movie lol. But it's still not enough to justify how hyped and raved about that movie is\was XD.

8. djt820

Titanic is a good film. If you can't connect with the romance, then you're missing something. Both characters come from different backgrounds and come together in a really genuine way whilst it is encompassed in this tragedy. That was when James Cameron gave a shit about what he was doing story-wise.

Avatar is so bad. So, so, so, so bad. Kudos to Cameron for developing the technology for the film (and thus creating a horrible monster of a fad); maybe I shouldn't give him kudos for that. And the environmental message being shoved down my throat made me sick, literally. And on top of that, he has plans for Avatar 2 AND 3?! This film was such a fucking card-board cutout, it's amazing. I can't believe it did so well. I had to go home and wash my mouth out with Terminator 2.

So yeah, that's a overrated film for you.

As for an underrated film, I'll give you 3 films and they're all in my top 10 favorite films:

Happiness (1998)
    Koyaanisqatsi
    The Iron Giant

9. BornAnew

I agree on Avatar being horrendously overrated but IMO Titanic deserves all the praise. It is such an emotional movie....seeing it again on the big screen just reminded me why I love it so much. The romance is only a part of the movie for me...I feel the post iceberg collision the movie is nothing short of flawless.

So Overrated - Avatar, Drive

Underrated - X-Mean Last Stand, Captain America

10. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Overrated: I am Legend.
    Everyone I talk to says it was great, but it was really bad. Most remakes are though

I can't think of any underrated ones at the moment

11. timo

I completely agree on Avatar being overrated, but (this will probably get me stoned to death) I also really dislike the Harry Potter-movies. I haven't seen them all, just the first few, but it is nowhere near as good as the books are.

12. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Avatar had a beautiful world designed for it, and the graphics were out right amazing...

Everything past that was absolutely horrendous.

13. overrated - twililght

underrated - grimm love