1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Want To Start My Own TV Show...but...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, May 18, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my city tv station is the type that allows its citizens to pitch tv ideas to the network in hopes of potentially being made. I'd like to host my own tv show but I'm honestly at a crossroads of what to do it on. My interests range from movies, gaming, music, fashion (sorta lol not as much as the first three), celebs, books, but also LGBT rights lol. And I just would love some peoples help on trying to perhaps piece one, or two, or all, into something that the station could like.

So far though these are the shows out there

New show that I think just came out: Comic book syndicate.
    Essex City Council (basically a filming of the city council meetings)
    Face to Face - a sort of one-on-one sometimes one-on-two interview with people in the community about news topics
    Lancers Sports - a show detailing information about the hockey team
    Let's Talk - a talk show produced by and featuring school-aged children discussing issues dealing with day-to-day life.
    MediaPlex News Now (which i hope to be on since I'll be GOING to the MediaPlex come September but until then...) - News and Information show produced by St. Clair College students
    OVFL Football
    Panorama Italiano - italian show
    Passatempo - portugese show
    Plugged In - community magazine show (from what I've seen it seems to be interviews with people ranging from Heart and Stroke Foundation, Block Parents, and they did one on Cirque du Soleil that was coming to Windsor.
    Sports Den
    Today's Windsor which seems to look into initiatives people are doing in the city.
    The Windsor Pulse - which is local news and entertainment in Windsor
    and finally Windsor City Council (see Essex City Council)

So now with that in mind, any thoughts people?

Also I hope I put it in the right section, I figure it does have to do with Entertainment and Media...and not really a Support thing. But if a mod feels perhaps its more for Chit Chat, feel free to move it there.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So that's a no to people wanting to help? :frowning2: Or is the title just not engaging enough for people to want to view this thread?

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the is this guy on youtube that started that way. Every week he had a production clip, making fun of people or staging a show or what ever. his viewer base got so big that the networks offered him a slot on tv. Shane Dawson I think is his name. Really cool shows he did. But he covered allot of things, but only one thing per show. He still keeps his youtube show going. It's funny, corkey and well sometimes plain stupid. But still i love his show!

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ShaneDawsonTV - YouTube

He puts out an 'episode' every week that he records himself and has characters that he plays himself (Shanaynay, S.Deezy, Mrs. Dawson, Aunt Hilda, Ned, Fruit Lupe) He's the 5th most subscribed youtuber and he's working on his own movie at the moment.

If you have a load of ideas, a webcam and some pre-installed software like imovie (or you could get something free online) you could start a youtube channel. You could work out what you actually want to do by making a load of different types of videos and seeing what you're best at, and then with the experience you've gained you'd be in a better position to pitch to TV. If you have a lot of subscribers you might look more attractive to the station, and you could become a youtube partner, where the site will start paying you to make videos.

Youtube has opened up opportunities for loads of people: Shane Dawson and charlieissocoollike are writing movies, communitychannel got a job at a production company, and loads of other people have got careers as musicians or actors or comedians based on their channels, I think you should consider doing it.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I see your point. Well I suppose I could do that it's just yeah not sure where to go simply because I've done it in the past and only got about 103 subscribers in total...so not 100% sure where I could go with my videos, I'll definitely consider it though. I just thought the local tv because they take proposals from members in the community, and if they like it enough they produce it with you as host. But like I said, with it having to be local in nature, it's kinda like okay so I can't do a show where I talk about different shows on tv and such...plus being lone gunman I feel might be difficult cause it's probably a good thing to have co-hosts or w/e...so perhaps YouTube might be a good idea being then it's okay if I'm alone..

6. Emberstone

I wanted to produce a downton arbys show, but college humor, those drunken pricks, beat me to it.

7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one thing you have to do extra when you're on youtube is advertising. That's what made Shane so popular. He advertised like mad. Facebook and now even on Google+. So if your facebook friends list was any think like what I had at some point in time (2k+) then you'll have already most of your friends watching it. if they like it, they'll share the video to their friends who will share it again with their friends. thats the power of facebook and google+. Though with this IPO thing of facebook and it's commercialization I would suggest to rather use google+. youtube is now part of google, so on g+, people can watch you channel without having to go to a different site.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm..I suppose that's another way thought I don't think I have as many friends on Plus as FB. Not all my friends have made the move to Plus.

9. RealityCheck

Seems like they do need some comedy looking at the current lineup. If you can put a unique twist on some things I think it would work to have a show that highlights fun things and cool interesting people around your area. You could showcase trendy nightlife places, musical artists around your town, work in some cool restaurant reviews, find colorful people that have awkward talents. Can of like a variety show, but information based. You could call it "Out and About with [your name}. I have tons of ideas, but this one came to the top of my head first. I think you would have fun being on the move instead of in a studio setting.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooo I really like it. Plus people could come in to the studio itself at times too. I do like being in the studio but on the move would work too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I really like the idea, but I don't want to use it without your permission so let me know if it's okay with you.

Though the one thing I am cautious about too is I've only lived here three weeks so my big concern is...I don't know a lot around town so obviously it would almost be me exploring while I explore the city with the viewers.

#10 Revan, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. Zontar

This could be a big break for you, but if it doesn't work out, don't neglect new media such as the internet. There is a flood of content on the internet, yes, but if you're persistent, you can build up quite a following and kickoff your career in broadcasting.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh definitely, I'm not thinking no to YouTube AT ALL Zontar, it's just my previous videos haven't gotten a lot of following in the past and I never really found my niche. Maybe if Reality is okay with it, this could be the niche. We'll see. I've been told i have a good sense of humour so maybe it would work.

13. RealityCheck

Sure, have at it! If you find success just promise to fly me up there and let me check out Canada, lol. Always wanted to visit. On a more serious note, the internet does offer the opportunity for people to market themselves with little or no investment needed, but you are much better off to make the two opportunities compliment each other. This means that you promote your tv series online and vice versa. As you know, the goal is to drive traffic to promoted products. Spend the time to make it look professional. Have a website, become a blogger, and you can make it easier by linking the website to automatically upload to youtube. If you know how to do all of this then it is really, really easy. If you are kind of new to building a website there are services like Squarespace that make it easy and create a professional look. I know a few companies that use their services, but there are also others. Just one that I'm familiar with. Anyway, if you wanted to brainstorm or have questions just PM me. Love to help. Good luck.

---------- Post added 20th May 2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

Just to add, remember that you are building a portfolio, just like a model or director would. Just be cautious of what material you put in it, since this will be how you promote yourself for future opportunities. I'm assuming that you want this as a profession and there is a distinct difference between a professional and the majority of the junk you see youtube. If tv station doesn't pick up your show initially, that is not a big deal. You can produce your own video podcast which will ensure you have complete control over your content and keep the rights. Quality production in this environment takes a little investment, but there is a huge community out there to get information and support for it. If you come up with a show that you want to make, you can also use the internet to find funding for it. In the US we are currently looking to change investment laws to promote this even further. Probably the most well known website for artists here is "Kickstarter". Just don't throw something out there that is not well thought out. It's very important to have defined measurable goals.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be on TV is what I would want to do as a profession. Acting is the big thing I'll admit, but journalism is almost as important to me as acting but since the former is a LITTLE bit easier to get into than acting, well lol

15. RealityCheck

I have a innocent crush on this guy named Mark Milian. He is a journalist and integrates television and podcasts into what he does. He is a tech journalist, but the way he handles his self marketing is very good. Sadly, I believe he is straight maybe even married, idk. Ugh, he is so freakin' adorable. Anyway, google him if for nothing more than to see a cute guy, lol.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone