1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symbolism of fire in The Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PlutonianShore, May 29, 2012.

1. PlutonianShore

I absolutely adore THG and loved the film just as much. I've recently finished Catching Fire and I'm currently wracked with anticipation for the saga's conclusion.

However, I've noticed the prominence of a fire-motif throughout both books. From 'the girl on fire' to the uprisings against the Capitol being compared to a spark on the verge of being ignited into a full-blown rebellion, to the fireball-trap the Gamemakers set Katniss in the first installment, to the title of the sequel itself. There are numerous examples.

Any possible theories/analyses on its denotation?

IMO (and forgive my rather tarnished interpretative faculties) one of fire's many symbolic meanings is rebirth and the dawn of all things new (the phoenix springs to mind). In this case it could be symbolic...

1. The Districts' eventual overthrow of the Capitol -one of the means being fire- and a new era of a fair and benevolent leadership.

2. Katniss' character's progression into maturity.

As I've mentioned before, I haven't read Mockingjay yet, no spoilers would be appreciated.

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I borrowed the books in order to read, them so I can't go to specific passages and quote anything to support my opinion, but you're pretty much on the mark. It represents conflict (which you start to see on a larger scale in Catching Fire), violence, destruction, passion ("the girl on fire"), rebirth (in a very ironic sense as you'll see at the end of the trilogy). I'm sure more could be listed.

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be used to represent the overthrowing of the Capitol:

+Katniss' wedding dress (given to her by the Capitol, a symbol of oppression) is burned away and replaced by the Mockingjay (which you'll get to next book)

+Katniss refers to her fire suit in the second chariot ride as being representative of her scorn towards to Capitol

But then again

-Katniss' dad dies in an explosion in the mine (presumably to do with fire)

-A fire gets one of the tributes killed by the careers in the first book

both of which give the opposite of the first suggested symbolism of fire: fire is a symbol of the oppression of the Capitol, not freedom from it.

But I do agree with you. I just talked about the Capitol thing because it's the one with the most obvious examples. I think Collins is a very good writer; she included the fire symbols for a reason and they're polysemic.

---------- Post added 29th May 2012 at 10:27 PM ----------

Okay, Mockingjay spoiler, but

Anyone else find this funny, give the whole thing with Coin turning out to be a right evil old cow...

#3 Kerze, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. BudderMC

All I know is that I really really want to read and discuss this thread, but am gonna refrain from doing so till I finish reading the books. :slight_smile: :frowning2:

5. PlutonianShore

Interesting point. I had forgotten about her dad and the tribute's campfire leading to her demise.

Also a very good piece of fire-symbolism. The books, Catching Fire in particular, do tend to hint at eroticism at times.

6. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad to comment... "Girl on Fire" came about when Cinna and Portia designed Katniss' and Peeta's Parade outfit to be "Coals on fire"...He then continued to stick to that catchphrase when he designed her Interview dress. He told her to twirl for the audience, and when she did, the dress gave the appearance of being lit "on fire"...It was all strategy devised by Haymitch to help Katniss Everdeen get more Sponsors while in the Arena...This strategy is also what helped her win alogside Peeta. I wold continue on into Mockingjay, but as you haven't read it yet, I won't...But I got to say, it's pretty awesome, and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD, so I can have it and watch it whenever I want...