1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Lantern

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Travel Tech, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Travel Tech

So, in case anyone is not already aware and also cares, the new old Green Lantern is gay. Allow me to use my little knowledge to attempt to explain comic books. The original Green Lantern was Alan Scott, not Hal Jordan (The Green Lantern everyone is familiar with). DC just did a reboot with many characters in the new Earth 2 comic. In this one, Alan Scott is basically the same as before, but in charge of a larger media empire, and he's gay. To be specific he's openly gay and has a boyfriend. So, any thoughts?

2. Loras

Yay cant wait to read this series!!

3. ultrabluecheese

I'm actually pretty excited about this, to be honest. Alan Scott has a really long history within the DC Universe, and it would be fascinating to see the direction in which his character heads especially because his son and daughter no longer exist in the rebooted DC Universe.

I've also read a lot of criticism about the decision. Some are saying that because Alan Scott is in the Earth 2, to make his character gay makes little-to-no impact; and that much of the hype revolving around Alan Scott's "outing" (for lack of a better word) was solely pandering and prostrating to the queer community.

I get a strange feeling (something very akin to "Check yourself before you wreck yourself") when I read people's reactions to the entire event: that they won't read the book. Ironically, the people who have never read a Green Lantern issue to begin with (let alone series from the other Lanterns) are the ones who are openly saying that they definitely won't be reading Alan Scott's. :icon_roll

And to be honest, I really wanted Barry Allen (The Flash) to be gay—for no other reason than the fact the he's so unbearably cute. :lol:

Either way, though, I'm happy with the decision! Alan Scott would be another great addition to a list of queer characters who can hold his own title; some others being Katherine Kane (Batwoman, lesbian), Renee Montoya (The Question, lesbian), Priscilla Kitaen (Voodoo, bisexual), and Miguel Barragan (Bunker, gay, part of the Teen Titans series). :slight_smile:

4. JudasKissedHIM

I have never really read comics before but I think I might give this one a go... Only thing is I'm not familiar with them. Where do you buy them online? How often does a new comic come out?