1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (book)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nathan, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently reading the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. And... I don't really know how to feel about it. On the one hand, I find Oskar (the child and main character) is legitimately complex and interesting, and I do feel for him and am interested in his journey. But the other two main characters, Oskar's grandmother and grandfather, extremely dull and not very believable as characters, and every time I reach a section of the book that is told from their point of view I groan. So yeah, I have mixed feelings.
    Has anyone else read this book? WHat are your criticisms? WHat did you think about it?

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I had to read it for school. It's a very emotional book -- too much so for my tastes. I agree with you about the grandparents. Still, it's not a bad book, and I can see where the author was going with it. My biggest criticism is that it appears to deny the validity of more logical approaches to life in favor of more emotional and spiritual ones, but I also acknowledge that this is highly subjective, even more so than other aspects of literature.