1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Reads suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by peanutbutter, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peanutbutter

I am looking to read a few LGBT books. I am 20 years old, so no teen books please. I can't find any at the library to check out. So I would like a few good book ideas to read.

2. Kerploop

1984 George Orwell. It is really good! (It's not a teen or YA book)

3. Ianthe

I've just started reading novels by Sarah Waters. I like them. They are basically lesbian historical fiction, with a strong romance component. (They are not really romance novels--they have a lot going on in them--but there are strong lesbian romances in the ones I have read.) Tipping the Velvet is good.

I also read In One Person, by John Irving. I mostly really liked it, although there were a couple things that bothered me. The protagonist is a bisexual man. (I was really excited, because I bought it at Target!) It was very well written. The thing that bothered me was that the protagonist has difficulty being satisfied in monogamous relationships because he desires both sexes. There really are bisexuals that feel that way, but it is not all bisexuals by a long shot, and bisexuals who are satisfied in monogamous relationships were not really presented. And, while I thought the transgender women in the book were presented very well, I was sorry that transgender men did not appear at all.

I would be interested in some book suggestions, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.