1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by IrisM, Jul 13, 2012.

1. IrisM

As an Anime enthusiast more than happy to discuss the subject matter at hand and glad to meet people with similar interests, I welcome you to discuss with me your favourite Anime series. List your favourite shows and/or manga and why, as well as anything you've seen that includes a GLBT couple that you feel was tastefully portrayed.

Ranma 1/2 - Main character has a male GI, but the physical body changes with water exposure of different temperatures. Not a particularly serious show, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha
    Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha A's
    Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS - Starting off with a simple magical girl theme, the characters are likeable and the storyline keeps you watching. Fate and Nanoha are my favourite portrayal of an Anime Lesbian couple, and raise a daughter together. Even if that is a bit of a spoiler.

Sailor Moon - A classic. Anyone who has heard of anime has heard of or seen this one.

2. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not much of an anime fan myself, but I do love everything Japanese. Besides Sailor Moon, off the top of my head, I remember watching Card Captor Sakura as a kid. I think there was a gay coulpe there.
    I also remember that my parents didn't let me watch Ranma 1/2, but I would secretely watch it anyway.

3. amychan12

I love sailor moon I'm looking forward to the new anime I hope they show a closer bond with uranus and neptune

4. IrisM

That would be nice. In the US dub they said they were 'cousins', so I hope they don't try doing that again. I am looking forward to it as well. ^^

5. vyvance

Can't really think of any anime I've seen with a blatantly tasteful LGBT couple. The number of anime with LGBT characters keeps growing though, so we will see.

6. Hot Pink

Hourou Musuko depicts the lives of transgendered children as they grow up in a in a maelstrom of confusion. It's very much like how I remember my childhood. The author is very sensitive with the subject matter and even interviewed a bunch of trans people before writing the story for it. I highly recommend it.

7. Blackrabbit271

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend recently introduced me to yaoi anime and I love it!!!! one particular series is called "Junjo Romantica" and I highly recommend it. the couples are intoxicating and adorable if thats even the right way to describe it. lol Tho of course yuri is more my genre haha So what little ive seen of the series "Strawberry Panic" I Love that too!!
    yeah I'm obviously new. Hello!!

8. IrisM

Hello and welcome to EC. You're among friends here and it is a pleasure to meet you. ^^

9. Blackrabbit271

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm really happy to be here! :slight_smile:

10. Vesper

Aoi Hana ("Sweet Blue Flowers") is another LGBT-affirming anime series based on manga written by the same person who had written Hourou Musuko ("Wandering Son"), except it's about high school girls--one of whom is definitely lesbian, and two of whom are possibly bisexual. It's also really good, and similarly short at just 11 episodes (though the manga is ongoing).

#10 Vesper, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. Jordash

I'm really into Yuri as well. I loved Strawberry Panic, it was really great! :slight_smile:
    Currently I'm obsessing with Yuru Yuri, it's cute and hilarious. I sit there laughing like an idiot the whole time. :slight_smile:
    Season 2 episode 3 is on tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Any one wanna explain "K-On!" to me? I've heard about it, but is it any good?

12. IrisM

K-On is a genuinely fun series about an all girls band in a Japanese high school. Not much on the romance front, but it's genuinely a likeable show with likeable characters. If you have not seen it you should. ^^

13. amychan12

Same here I love strawberry panic

14. Sayu

I like Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler), because the plot and characters are interesting. Also, it has a beautiful soundtracks! :eusa_booh And, Grell Sutcliffe is totally gay and he's my favourite character! :love: :icon_bigg

I like Death Note as well, I guess that's one of the most favourite anime series.

And I have seen this LGBT anime called "Blue Drop" in which two main characters are lesbian girls :icon_wink

15. PurpleSmurf

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I saw Blue Drop, it was okay.. It's a mecha anime, so that's probably why I didn't like it so much. I didn't like the first few episodes but the ending was nice :slight_smile:

I really liked Sasameki Koto, it's about these two girls that are best friends and one secretly likes the other but the other only likes cute girls. It's actually shoujo-ai, as in no yuri scenes, but it's SO CUTE!!

My favorite anime of all time would have to be Pokemon. Before you die laughing, take a minute to look back.. Ash made every heroine in all of the seasons fall in love with him for a second at some point in time. Ash got the bitches linin' up and he's only 10. You can't lie, he deserves some applause. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I'm not a big fan of Anime, but I LOooooved DBZ :slight_smile:

Now I watch Naruto, which I think is pretty awsome. Also I read that the author was originally going to make Naruto an Sasuke gay, but had fears of the fans reactions.. which I think sucks!!!

17. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I absolutely love yuri, which should have clued me in that I was gay sooner.

I've watched Sailor Moon, Aoi Hana, Blue Drop, Kashimashi, Kannazuki no Miko, Mai Hime, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Strawberry Panic, etc. Not all of the gay characters in these animes are portrayed in the best light (Chikane from Kannazuki no Miko is a rapist and Shizuru from Mai Hime goes on a crazy killing spree when the girl she loes doesn't return her felings), but I love them nonetheless. Sadly, the ones with the most negative portrayals are the ones I become the most obsessed with. In the other ones I listed, the LGBT characters were more tastefully portrayed.
    Girlfriends is also a pretty cute yuri manga.

This isn't yuri, but Ouran High School Host Club is pretty cute too.

If that's true, they missed the mark. There are so many Naruto/Sasuke fanfictions out there.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I normally get into suspenseful supernatural/psychological thriller type shows like Death Note, Code Geass, FMA Brotherhood, Durarara, Darker than Black, etc... the most. Another commonly reoccuring theme I've noticed in shows I like is tragedy. Cowboy Bebop, Angel Beats, Puella Magica Madoka Magiwhatever its called and Fate/Zero are a few more that hit me really hard with a combination of loveable characters and endings or particular scenes that just resonated with me emotionally.

Fate/Zero, the prequel to the more widely known (and less good) show Fate/Stay Night, impressed me in particular on just about every level. The premise in a nutshell is 7 magicians that summon legendary historic figures called Heroic Spirits; i.e. Alexander the Great, King Arthur, Hercules, and others like them. Masters command their Heroic Spirit servants in battle against one another in attempt to be the last one standing and win themselves the Holy Grail; an omnipotent device which grants you whatever you desire. I would reccommend it to any anime fan because of it's excellent characterization and captivating story arc; all the way down to the smallest plot detail. I think there's really something for everyone in it. Aside from the first episode sort of dragging on a bit with lengthy "boring" dialogue I could find virtually nothing to complain about in it. Anybody else here familiar with/a fan of this show?

As for LGBT themes in anime I'm afraid I haven't come across a super plentiful amount of them so far. I have seen Junjou Romantica and didn't like it very much unfortunately. The closest fitting example of my ideal portrayal of a homosexual anime character that I have seen is probably Akise Aru from Mirai Nikki. While the show itself wasn't fantastic, I really liked that it wasnt afraid to give one of their most prominent and likeable characters a scene where he kisses another boy. What's even better is that Akise's such a flat out cool guy; really smart, always one step ahead of everybody else, had an overall fun and likeable personality, and he gets to do important stuff and is really helpful throughout the course of the story. I want to see characters like that in other shows. It would be great for there to be LGBT representatives in anime that have more substance to them than just your average yaoi/yuri fanservice character.

19. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I absolutely LOVED Sasameki Koto. It was so adorable and completely relatable to me.

I liked Kannazuki no Miko but there was some elements to it that I didn't like or thought was unnecessary (pretty much the whole mech aspect of it). I also thought there was some things that were uncalled for that I won't spoil of course but it was pretty controversial.

20. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the treasurer of my schools anime club. :icon_bigg

I like all kinds of anime, It all just depends on the story and the artists style. I love a good story with artwork that captures the essence of said story. I have watched Hourou Musuko, but that is about it for LGBT related anime. As for Manga, I've read several with LGBT themes, but I'm too tired to list them. I need to get to bed. :icon_sad: