1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by runallday4, Jul 15, 2012.

1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

So, I've been seeing all over that Game of Thrones is supposed to be one of the best TV shows on right now. Because of all this hype I started watching it, but I found it to be incredibly boring. I'm like 4 or 5 episodes in and I still don't like it that much. To be honest, I don't really see anything good about it.
    Is it one of those shows that you have to suffer through for a little while before you like it, or do you think maybe it's not the right show for me?
    I usually love sci-fy, drama, or thriller TV shows, but this just seems very slow paced and has too many random characters who all look extremely similar.

So, give it another chance? or give up?

2. Meropspusillus

I love Game of Thrones a lot...not much more to add beyond that. It is pretty slow paced, but the characters, even the ones you hate (CERSEI FREAKING LANNISTER!!!!!) are very well developed and multidimensional.

Though, I was pretty addicted to the show after the first episode, if you don't like it after 5, I don't really know what to tell you.

3. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, A Song of Ice and Fire is definitely a slow-paced series (800-1200 pages a book, 5 books published so far), and the first season of GoT corresponds to the first book in the series. Therefore, it is fundamentally a bunch of exposition, with a little action here and there. The ball starts rolling by the end of the first season, once you finally know (and love/hate) the huge cast of characters. I'd recommend watching a little more, until you recognize who everyone is...and what each one is trying to accomplish. The series is as much about what the characters do as it is about what you think they are going to do...

If you're at all a reader, I would recommend starting with the books instead, as the narrative structure is vastly different (each chapter is told from the perspective of a specific character) and, in my opinion, much more intriguing. That might have to do with the fact that I'm an introvert and connect better with the characters when I can think what they're thinking and see what they're seeing. The TV series remains relatively faithful plot-wise and even expands on some character dynamics (e.g. Varys and Littlefinger), but it loses a level of intimacy which may be exactly what you aren't finding on the TV screen.

Well, it's a long series with plenty of plot twists, climaxes, and resolutions along the way. But the main event is still on the horizon even at the end of book 5, so don't expect to be fully gratified anytime soon.

I really hope that patience pays off and you enjoy it more! If not, it's all good, and you're definitely not alone! I have lots of friends/family who just don't like the series.

4. J Snow

I read before I watched. GoT is my favorite TV show and the books are even better. Though the first 500 pages/5 or 6 episodes are mostly just character development.

Things should be about to hit the fan. I urge you to finish out the season before passing judgement.

5. Jonathan

Definitely this ^. The show is okay, but I personally think the books are so much better. There is just that special *something* that is lost when transferring a story from book to TV. I would highly recommend reading the novels if you like that kind of genre.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the show is ok. I don't get all the hype. I think it may be shock value. I do love the 1/2 man (forget his name) he cracks me up

7. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

GoT is one of those shows where it's good if it's your thing.

I think you may not like it because you like sci-fi, thrillers, and drama, things that have immediate action/response type of story lines. Game of Thrones is a fantasy for one, a long, wordy, journey-centric fantasy (notice how almost all the characters are traveling somewhere.) There is some action, but it's mostly the conversations and subtle actions you have to pay attention to and remember. You also have to decipher through their dialouge during and after their long wordy conversations because they're practically speaking in old english riddles. :lol: I enjoy it very much. I like the subtle drama that builds over time and love to watch the coversations. The traveling is little snoozy after too long, but if they meet some awesome people or do something along the way, then it's a good watch.

Not everyone likes the fantasies where people are walking through lands and going "We've met a high class Elf, and mysterious rogue knight, now let's all of us strangers travel together to this place and fight these evils that won't show up until the end of the show." Or fantasies where everyone lives in castles and walks from room to room talking and plotting. All the guys are like "I will be King of the Kingdoms in all the Kingly land!" And then there's some crazy women trying to kill people off and get power with her vagina. That's not everyone's genre, you know?

The show does get more action-y in season 2 and after season 2's finale I'm thinking season 3 wil be chalked full of action (medival zombies, that's all I'm gonna say.) But season 1 is like the prologue that introduces you to the various characters and their lives. If you can get through that, I think you would at least be more interested in the next seasons simply because they get a little more action packed. However, since all the talking (which they will still do a great deal of) and subtle shit isn't your thing, then it's not the show for you and understandable if you don't keep watching.

8. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think GoT is awesome, but its true that if you dont like to see alot of talking, and plotting, this is not for you. A cousin of mine recomended this series to me because he said it was a political thriller, and I love these type of stories. So even though theres action, it is not the center of the series.

9. JudasKissedHIM

I love it. Just finish the season. When you see the last scene of season one you will shit yourself... Season 2 is even more epic and its season finale is also jaw dropping.

10. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just watched the last 2 episodes of season 2. It's funny how I like half of the scenes which have been adapted from the book, despise the other half, but almost always love the completely original ones.

And now for some remarks which may contain potential spoilers.
    + Renly + Loras = hot, it was difficult for me to pretend to be disgusted when watching with my teammates...

+ FINALLY a decent scene between Sansa and Sandor...took GRRM's writing the episode to get that dynamic just right.

+ Sansa Stark, in general. Just really like the character development in the books, and Sophie Turner is literally blossoming into the role.

+ Maester Luwin was a good character in the book. He was great on the show. Osha was completely unremarkable in the book and somehow has become one of my favorites. Props to Donald Sumpter and Natalia Tena, the actors. So when they were together in that scene in the godswood, I actually got a little teary. Never mind that I have no idea how Luwin made it all the way out there from where he was stabbed...

+ The non-narrative characters in general are given more opportunities to strut their stuff. This is why I can't simply say, "The books are better than the show." It's a great supplement to the story!

+ All of the actors! Wow, what a great ensemble cast! Seems that everyone brings their character to life and then some.

- Asha (Yara??) Greyjoy. 'Nuff said.

- Blackwater Rush was too simplified for my liking. It just made more sense in the book when all the boats were crammed into the mouth of the river. And it made for a cooler fight scene, with the primary fighting occurring on the ships' decks rather than on land. At least Pod still came to the rescue, even though he basically had no role in the show prior (Thank you, GRRM, for writing the episode!).

- What happened to the north-of-the-wall scenes toward the end of the season?? All messed up. They really had me confused during the final scene with Qhorin Halfhand. Totally ruined Snow's characterization for me.

- Dany, Dany, Dany. Her story is a little lifeless in the book, but this was an utterly disappointing adaptation. The House of the Undying was a pleasantly different experience, but I'm so frustrated with how they kidnapped the dragons! And how dealt with (and dealt with) Xaro Xhoan Daxos and Pyat Pree. Sad Arstan Whitebeard didn't show up in the last show. He's already been cast, so I don't know what the excuse was...

- Last complaint: Arya's story. The revenge scene in book 4 isn't going to play out the same without the Tickler, and she was just too close with Tywin Lannister.
    Still excited for season 3 next year! And I still give the series my highest level of recommendation.

11. ArtSaves

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love game of thrones, i was addicted to it since the first episode. It's true that it is a little slow paced because the first chapters are mostly character development and it seems to be that the only thing they do is talk. However, it gets more dynamic in the last episodes of the first season, which ends GREAT, and the second season also has more "action" in it.

Don't give up now. Keep watching some more and probably you'll get to like it.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say enough good things about this show. I'm pretty critical of TV in general but the production values and depth of this show are second to none.

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I couldn't get into it personally, but my sister watches it and says it's really slow moving and takes a long time to get into. I suppose you have to be really patient and stick it out at the beginning, but meh, I can't be bothered.

On a funnier note, I was in the living room once and she was watching game of thrones, and at one point she said 'Lucy, you should be watching this, it's your kind of thing,' and I looked up and there were two female hookers on the screen practising on each other. FML!!!

14. LiquidSwords

Charles Dance who plays Tywin Lannister reading a short extract from Fifty Shades Of Grey, I found it funny anyway.

[YOUTUBE]rctLmUiPN5Q[/YOUTUBE]

15. regime

regime Guest

Lol little bit of a dead topic however i love GAME OF THRONES!!