1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by djt820, Jul 18, 2012.

1. djt820

So, I bought my tickets a week ago to see the trilogy (unfortunately IMAX sold out). I've never been more FUCKING PUMPED for a film in all my days. The Dark Knight is still in my top 5. What are your expectations? What did you think of the previous 2 films? Will it be better than the Dark Knight? ARE YOU ALL READY FOR THE FILM OF THE YEAR?!
    [YOUTUBE]ASQqjK47c04[/YOUTUBE]

2. BudderMC

Oh my god, I'm so excited for this movie I can't even put it into words. Enough to go see it by myself if I can't find anyone to go see it with me. Except I'm busy this weekend, so I won't get to see it till next weekend... v_v

3. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going to the midnight showing tomorrow night. And I'll probably be watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight tonight in anticipation. I've never been more excited for a movie!

4. ANightDude

I'm going to the midnight showing tomorrow night, but with really low expectations. The reason being is that I'm just honestly believing people are expecting something that isn't going happen. I've got no doubt it'll be a good movie, but it's gonna be hard press to live up to TDK.

Personally, I've always thought Batman Begins was a masterpiece, and, in a way, better than TDK. Judging the film without Ledger's performance, in some cases in falls short, in other cases it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, both films are fantastic. I'm just going in with low expectations because I don't want to be disappointed. It's a problem a lot of film critics are having as well.

I've got no doubt it's going to be good. The big question is whether it can honestly top the previous two.

5. djt820

[​IMG]

Good point though. I honestly don't know if it will be better than The Dark Knight. That movie is perfect to me. You can't really beat perfection.

6. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just saw it tonight and it was great. Alot of action with a good ending, I would defiantly recommend seeing it

7. spellbound

spellbound Guest

it seems like a great movie exept for the fact that im now scared to go because i live like an hour away from where the shooting happened.

8. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is such a horrible story, my heart sank when I heard about that

9. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My heart goes out to all those who were affected, especially the young ones!

I've heard mixed reviews about the movie itself. I am not a huge fan of Nolan's pseudo-intellectual plots, nor Zimmer's BOOM BOOM BOOM scores, so I sincerely hope that the action scenes are at least worthwhile (I hear the movie has quite the climax). Don't know where or when I'm going to see it, but I think it's inevitable that I will at some point.

10. ANightDude

It's was a freaking fantastic movie.

Of course it wasn't perfect, but the things the critics stated weren't nearly as huge deals when I watched it. I suppose you can say that the film does have a "slow start", but it did an excellent job in building the new characters for the film and explaining what's been going on in the previous eight years. Very much like "The Amazing Spider-man", it focuses on character building in the beginning. But this being the 3rd film in the trilogy, I think that's why many critics deemed it unnecessary and a bit off pace, but it did a fine job. Of course, I'm one who really, really prefers stories that are more character orientated that make us care deeply for them (or hate them), so it was pretty much my game. There was quite a bit of action in the opening half of the film as well, so those complaints were a bit off too me.

But the plot was, and still is in a way, a bit (as Roger Ebert puts it) "murky". It was a bit confusing to follow exactly what was going on with Bane and why he was doing the things he was doing. The previous films did a great job of getting you involved in the story and explaining what was going on, this one not so much.

As for the main villain being Bane, it's obvious in the first few minutes that he's no Joker. There wasn't much of a need to try to outdo him or outperform Ledger, so I'm sort of glad Nolan went this route and didn't just try to do "More, more, more!" when it comes to how evil the villains are. But the first half of the film... it wasn't easy to really consider him anything "badass". He does some incredible things with his cronies, but since we're not aware of his full intentions until much later in the film, it sort of loses something I believe. However, it improved immensely for me as the film went on. His plans for Gotham were incredibly clever and not something you generally see in a superhero film, and very much mirrors fears we're having in today's societies. It's not really political, but it's reminiscent of the Russian Revolution and such, with the poor turning on the rich, whom have little in defense or support, and end up being massacred due to massive class distinction and jealousy.

Only problem with that brilliant idea: It's never hinted at that Gotham hates the rich. Never in the entire trilogy. I watched Batman Begins tonight, and both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight back-to-back the other day and it's never stated there's any kind of a grudge. While it's a clever concept, it seemed a bit out of nowhere.

New cast members: Anne Hathaway is fantastic in her role. Just so good. And this is coming from someone who generally dislikes her for trying to hard. But she doesn't do that in this role - she really nails it and balances it out. Great material to work with and brought something new to the table.

Marion Cotillard. She's a brilliant actress, and I've loved her since La Vie en Rose, but... *sigh* her performance here isn't anything stand-out. It's just Marion Cotillard, well playing a role. Very "Inception" like. She's good, but totally outshined by Hathaway.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Let me just say I predicted what would happen to his character months ago while speculating, so it didn't come as a shock to me. It was still pretty awesome, of course. I'm not sure why there are complaints about his performance - it was fine. Again, nothing spectacular or stand-out, but just fine. He's a great actor and did great in the role. No more, no less. I was hoping for a little, just slightly, more background and depth with him, but it wasn't a massive problem in my enjoyment. It didn't explore his whole connection with the orphanage very well, I thought. You do generally care about "Blake", which pays off in the film.

Already talked about Bane, so there you go.

But I've got to say, there was absolutely no point for Matthew Modine, some high ranking police official obsessed with capturing Batman, to be in the movie. His character goes no where, you don't generally like him, so you don't really care what happens to him. His whole character really should have been removed. It's just not necessarily.

Overall, any complaints I had were relatively minor with it. One or two plot holes throughout, but they were small and things that didn't detract from the story at all. The score is thrilling and gripping, the tension is deep, the characters (for the most part) are well rounded, and it's good writing mixed with great direction and acting. Technicals were off the charts. I've always admired Nolan's lack of CGI and decision to use as realistic effects as possible. The reaction to the ending twists are mixed, but I thought they were brilliant, personally. Signs of creativity and clever writing from the Nolan brothers.

9.5/10

(And, of course, my deepest condolences to those lost and affected in Colorado. To do such a thing at a location meant to be positive, hopeful, and an escape from the outside world and such a classic experience of going to the cinema, is a sin so grave it's unthinkable. It's important to not simply sit and morn, but find a way to prevent such a thing from every happening again. May the victims RIP.)

#10 ANightDude, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  11. djt820

This movie made me shit my pants in awe. Absolute and utter awe.

12. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This one is my favorite of the trilogy. The other two were good, but they didn't have me sitting there bug-eyed the entire time. :icon_eek:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I actually thought Bane was more interesting than the Joker. Yes Heath Ledger's acting was great but Tom Hardy is pretty good too (Have you seen him in Warrior!? So awesome!) and I still think Nolan's Bane is a better character than Nolan's Joker.

And Anne Hathaway was just purrfect as Catwoman!

13. IllusiveRannoch

if they're making movies of all the former characters, they still got Penguin, & Riddler or a few others to go through if i remember correctly. I one time watched the original Batman & Robin from the 60's or 70's with the 'Pow',or 'Bang' spike clouds every time someone got punched, funny :lol:. and the sub made to look like a penguin shooting at the Batboat?, humorous :grin:. bat shark repellant on the batladder?, amusing. sudden disappearing boat w/ no explanation? way to hilarious. or the Joker zapping everyone at the convention one by one and no one notices? laughter :grin:. and the scene w/ Batman running in circles w/the ball bomb? new level of comedic insanity.:roflmao:

if not, any new people are always nice to watch

#13 IllusiveRannoch, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  14. WALK2222

The action was great, but I felt as though the action with specifically batman fighting was, well bland. It seemed like Batman was being beat-up almost 24/7 and only got a couple of good punches in every once and a while.

15. Koalaman

I thought this film was far better than the previous two (which is a really big accomplishment) and exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to see it again in a few days.

All of the cast were great as always, but I thought Tom Hardy provided one of the best performances. He had a harder job than most as his face was covered by a mask, and he pulled it off spectacularly!

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thoughts on the movie are a little back and forth. I liked it for the action and (most of the) storyline(s) but I also got annoyed by it. I won't go into details because a lot of it has to do with the fact that it isn't very equal with race or gender. I mean......2 main females? 1 main black guy (who is hardly in the film at all)? The entire cast was basically made of white dudes. Eh that's the world we live in where no one blinks an eye or raises objection to a movie that is entirely white and male. One question I had was: Does no one care about little girls in Gotham?

I wish Catwoman was in the movie a lot more. She was awesome! I really liked Blake a lot. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ann Hathaway did a fantastic job with their parts. I could hardly understand Bane...they need subtitles for him. Batman's voice always cracks me up because it's so rough and low.

17. silkfrog1292

[/QUOTE]
    I've heard mixed reviews about the movie itself. I am not a huge fan of Nolan's pseudo-intellectual plots, nor Zimmer's BOOM BOOM BOOM scores, so I sincerely hope that the action scenes are at least worthwhile (I hear the movie has quite the climax). Don't know where or when I'm going to see it, but I think it's inevitable that I will at some point.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I love about the batman trilogy. It's so much more than simply a badass action movie with cool superheroes. It's also pack filled with political philosophy, ethics and sociological theories. Batman and the Joker could be interpreted as the interplay between the natural state and the civil state, while the upcoming film (sadly I havent watched it yet, but I seems good) is all about the Marxist ideal of class conflict and alienation of labour. I like movies that make us think; and when it's coupled with all the kick-ass visuals and movements makes it all the more AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! *cue fanboy squeal* (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

18. J200587

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thought it started out a little slow with some forced dialogue on Bane's part, but by the end of the movie I was on the edge of my seat and almost crying (thanks Michael Caine).

9.8/10

19. BornAnew

Best Movie Ever...that's the only feeling I've had at the end of the movie on both of my viewings!

And yeah Michael Caines scenes were the ones where I literally almost cried every time. So powerful!

Either way this is definitely one of the best trilogies of all time, up there with Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings & Godfather.