1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird taste in music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Neutrality, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Neutrality

I might be nuts but, I want more bands that mix various forms of rock (metal,alternative, ect) with rap for some reason...I don't like rap much own it's own but, I love hearing it with an actual band behind it instead of just a beat. :confused: Does anyone else like it when genres mix like this?

2. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but crunkcore is a genre that contains aspects of screamo, rap, techno, etc.

Some bands I would recommend from this genre are Dot Dot Curve, and Brokencyde

3. Neutrality

Thanks, I'll take a look...trying to figure out what kind of music I like...since I barely listened to any music when i was in closet =P

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Ugh, crunkcore... no offense intended if you like it, but it's definitely not my style of music. And, again, no offense intended to your tastes, Heyitsme, but brokeNCYDE has made what has to be the song that I like the least out of any song I've ever heard (it's "Bree Bree", if you're curious). But again, if you like it, more power to you. And if you do end up liking brokeNCYDE, Neutrality, give Blood on the Dance Floor a listen.

As for my own recommendations, try Rage Against the Machine, Cyprus Hill, Beastie Boys, old Linkin Park, and old Otep. Look up the genres rap rock and rap metal if you want even more band recommendations. And if you're willing to enjoy a song by not taking is seriously at all, look up "Don't Fuck Wit Me" [sic] by Lil' Jon & The East Side Boyz; it's a rap song that samples Slayer's "Raining Blood". :lol:

I certainly have a place in my heart for the melding of rock instrumentation with rap vocals; heck, many of the rap songs I really like have beats that do quite resemble a rock ensemble (I love Eminem for that reason; "Lose Yourself" will always been one of my favorite songs because of its iconic guitar riff). But some of my favorite genre melding is found in folk metal and symphonic metal, genres that combine the basic metal framework with elements of folk music and opera music, respectively.

5. julia

Linkin Park and Hollywood Undead are my favorite rock/hip hop bands, so good.

6. timo

I do like some genre-crossing. For example... Enter Shikari are SICK, they mix metal/post-hardcore with electronics and it sounds just amazing. Orrrr Abandon All Ships, metalcore x trance. There are just too many bands to mention.

Recommending Brokencyde... you disappoint me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I must admit I do listen to them sometimes.... They're not as bad as Blood on the Dance Floor though, BOTDF is probably the worst thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, while it's not metal, your OP make me think me of Hadouken! (partly hipster-rave-rock, partly grime/hiphop-like vocals) or Jamie T (who mixes indie rock with rap-ish vocals). Both are not full on rap, but both are awesome. And like Owen said, you might like old Linkin Park. But they're so well known I guess you already heard that :grin:

Hadouken! - Leap Of Faith - YouTube (bad quality vid but honestly, they're one of my favourite bands)
    Jamie T - Sticks 'n' Stones - YouTube
    Abandon All Ships - Take One Last Breath (video) - YouTube

--timo, spreading hipster since forever.

7. LSunday

Hmmm... I don't know anything about music with raps in it (I personally dislike rap in all forms... the sound is just grating to me), but if you're looking for off-rock type bands, The Reasoning and Unitopia are both really good, and Rocket Scientists have a lot of music along those lines as well.

Closest to rap/rock I can think of is RPWL... their song "choose what you want to look at" starts to approach rap without quite reaching it.

If you like Reasoning, you can also look into Karnataka and Panic Room, which are formed with some of the same members (there was a weird breakup of Karnataka that formed Panic Room and Reasoning), although they have less of the rock feel and start to move more towards pop music.

8. Spirit

I love it! My favorite genre is called "Plush Jazz Rock", Which is basically a super awesome mix of jazz and rock.

9. SunSparks

Well, I would say that I have some pretty odd taste in music. Its been developing for quite some time starting off at what would best be described as emo rock, moved to some others like poprock and symphonic rock, then some tech-rock... then some alternative rock, delve into indie and alternative and sprinkles of folk, a time of classical (yes, Mozart and stuff), sythpop, rock, dance, and country. Right now I'm listening to more of a folky, indiey, dancey, symphonicy, mix... not too crazy but :3