1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics 2012 - the opening ceremony

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GlindaRose, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did everyone think? I personally thought Rowan Atkinson playing with the London Symphony Orchestra was amazing and hilarious! :slight_smile: Also, you cannot beat the Queen jumping out of a helicopter with James Bond!

2. Rygirl

to quote the news reporter:
    it was Boisterous, it was Beautiful, it was Bonkers, and it was British.
    All I can say is WOW. I loved the children's choirs at the beginning, and I especially loved the seven young athletes lighting the torch.

3. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Anyone else spot the gay kiss??

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No...?! When was that?

5. Night Rain

This doesn't have much to do with the opening but does anyone here play The Sims Social on Facebook? Their most recent wall post is a picture of a Sim that strongly resembles Matthew Mitcham, the gay Olympic athlete. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it's just me...

#5 Night Rain, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. LSunday

Oooh, please tell. I'm still watching... is it after Senegal in the parade?

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't see it.. but then again I missed some thanks to a storm knocking out my cable..

Stupid Central Ohio weather...

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The children's literature part was my favorite. I squealed with delight when the Peter Pan quotes appeared on the screen. And JK Rowling. <3

And they had the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!! He's one of my favorite characters. :grin:

The Olympic Cauldron is gorgeous this year too. All those copper petals gleam in the light so beautifully.

9. qboy

In amongst one of the many video montages was the first ever pre-Watershed (21:00) gay kiss on British TV - the one between two girls from Brookside back in 1994.

Oh, and to answer your question - yes!

It was completely bizarre I have to say - The choice of Dizzee Rascal song was appropriate "Bonkers" :badgrin:

And what was the deal with announcing everything in French then English - was that just to rub the French noses in it for not being in Paris? :confused:

Now which of the 26 (well 52 if you add HD) channels showing Olympic games coverage do I put on now...

#9 qboy, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was because those are the official languages of the Olympic Games Committee. In years past I thought they announced in three or four languages, but I may be mistaken.

11. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you're right, Blackcat - French and English are the two official Olympic languages - if the host country uses a different language, then that is added to French and English, giving announcements in three languages.

I predicted the Queen would bungee-jump from a helicopter and light the cauldron before flicking back up into the under elastic power.

When we saw her parachute with James Bond, we howled with laughter - I almost got it right!

It went on a bit too long, but I suppose it's to be expected. I liked the industrial age scene the best, but I thought the copper petals, one for each nation, coming together to make the cauldron was beautiful and very imaginative.

Good luck to anyone taking part! :smilewave

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was pretty darn impressive. I loved the whole opening sequence with the countryside being ripped up, then the rings raining fire. Also, JK Rowling was there, which is always good in every situation.

13. Lewis

I loved every minute of it, it really made me proud to be British, I felt very patriotic. I also missed the gay kiss, I saw tweets about it and I was like 'WHAT?!, HOW THE F DID I MISS THAT?!', but yeah, it was quite spectacular.

14. BudderMC

Anyone know of somewhere online I can catch it? I missed it and really do wanna see it :frowning2:

15. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    London.2012.Olympics.Opening.Ceremony.HDTV.x264-SuperS.mkv | PutLocker

I still think projecting the gay kiss was the riskiest thing in the whole show. It was the furst gay kiss ever broadcast in the majority of the middle east and quite a bit of Africa.

16. spellbound

spellbound Guest

i thought it was amazing! best i've ever seen, with vancouver being an extremley close second

17. ANightDude

Do Winter Olympics even have opening ceremonies as the summer ones? It's a shame people care very little for the winter ones, but it's great fun when the summer ones take place.

They've been quite good in recent years. Beijing did wonderful, London did fantastic, and hopefully Rio can do great as well. I love the opening and what it does for the world. :slight_smile:

18. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought the entire ceremony was quite a beautiful spectacle. And while I don't think London 2012 was as marvelous as Beijing 2008, there were still some amazing moments.

My favorite part was the music during the industrial revolution part of the ceremony/when the rings were coming together. And the music that played when the torch was lit. The songs are "And I Will Kiss" and "Caliban's Dream" respectively, both by Underworld, and both are on the "Isle of Wonder - Music for the Opening Ceremony".

I also really enjoyed when the young athletes lit the cauldron which was made up of the 200-something copper leaves from each country. Symbolized the world coming together to create something beautiful in my mind.

19. Emberstone

all olympics have opening ceremonys. Bejing's was beautiful and soulless and insincere: they cared more about showing off than expressing anything truly human. Bejing was a showing off of self-proclaimed economic and technological dominance.

London was a little weird at points, such as the giant baby, but they had some cool stuff, like the forging of the rings, and jk rowling is always perfection. I loved the cauldron, but truth be told, no one can beat the sydney 2000 cauldron.

20. Rygirl

Am I the only one who loved the children's choirs at the beginning?