1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jokes about the dark knight rises shooting...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HunterN95, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HunterN95

I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this, but I wasn't sure where else. I have been seeing people making jokes about the aurora shootings lately and it really pisses me off. I find a HUGE difference between having a sense of humor and being just plain wrong. Among the jokes i have seen...

A picture of Spider-Man captioned "At least nobody got shot at my movie."

A playboy bunny who tweeted: "I heard the new batman movie is to DIE for. Too soon?"

A picture of a man putting on sunglasses captioned "I suppose to people of aurora had a... DARK KNIGHT."

and the one that made me most angry, "The people of aurora wanted to see the new batman, but they only saw clips"

People just have no respect for each other these days, and it really upsets me to see things like this. And the "it sheds light on a dark situation" argument is bullshit. This isn't shedding light on anything, it's making a joke out of something that is a complete tragedy in which children and innocent people were savagely killed.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have seen some of these.. I think that it is wrong as well.

I'm sure that if the people making the jokes loved ones got shot, they would not be making fun of it.

3. NickD

I definitely agree. So as not to violate forum rules, lets just say that the shooting took place very, very close to where I live. The youngest person killed was a part of my faith community.

All human life is so special and in today's day and age, it is too easy to distance one's self from the rest of humanity. The way I deal with the "jokes" is that everyone has different coping mechanisms. Just as some doctors, EMTs, firefighters, and police have to make jokes to distance themselves from the atrocities they see, so do the people that make jokes about a situation that they just can't comprehend. Trust me, sometime in their lives they will reflect on what they chose to say or post and they may not like what they remember about themselves.

4. Night Rain

Yeah, and the people that liked/laughed at the jokes really need to get their brains checked. That was some sick sense of humor.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In their defense, some people cope with trauma by laughing (as mentioned by NickD above). It's all in the context.

I'm not saying its wrong or right, that's an individual perspective issue. Maybe posting it on such a public space is wrong, at least in my opinion, because then those affected may see it and be further upset.

6. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Guest

Hearing crap like that just makes me sick to my damn stomach. That people can be that callous and insensitive to that type of tragedy sickens me.

7. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Aargh! WHY SO SERIOUS?! (ok, sorry- i had to..) right... joke time. Q: What do you call Batman and Robin after an accident involving a steamroller? A: Flatman and Ribbon

8. suninthesky

I'm so sorry for your loss. Us in CoS have you in our thoughts. This summer has been rough to say the least for CO, and I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through.

9. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I personally tend to laugh and make jokes in inappropriate situations.. such as funerals. I kind of couldn't stop laughing during one... then again, I'm not really the best person at expressing myself.

Also, when our car got broken into while my family and I were at the mall, I kind of was making jokes about it...

10. NickD

Thank you so much for your kind words. But please think about and pray (if you're comfortable) for all of those impacted by all of the tragedies we have seen in Colorado this summer. It rains when it pours, doesn't it?

11. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first joke I heard about related to the tragedy was the one that Dane Cook made. Honestly, I feel it's too inappropriate to be making jokes about the shooting, especially since it's only been a week since it happened.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Making jokes about a sensitive topic, be it the Aurora shootings or anything else, is a delicate task. It takes a true master of the comedic art to take such a sensitive topic and be able to make a joke about it that can find humor in the situation without just appealing to shock value. And most playboy bunnies and people who make image macros on the internet don't have that level of comedic mastery. Dane Cook certainly doesn't.

13. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be honest, I did find some of these jokes funny. Obviously it's a tragedy that this happened, but I have a dark sense of humor, and I think frequenting YouTube, 4chan, Meme Generator, etc. had a big part in that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Sanssouci

I haven't seen any of these jokes, but on Facebook it's driving me mad that noone can mention they're seeing the film without someone saying something a long the lines of "watch out for the Joker". Oh, wow, you're so zany and original.

15. Tim

Tim

Yes, they are in bad taste.

However, jokes like this were around before the shooting even occurred.

So, since the shooting occurred, people are no longer allowed to talk about guns in regards to a batman movie? (An Olympian is being attacked just for saying something like americans are sucking at whatever they were doing at the time, bring on the guns or something like that).

It's like people who say mentioning terrorists and airplanes is forbidden because of 9/11.

It was a tragedy. But you can't dwell on the past. Yes, it's too early for them, however, it's going to happen, people are asses, for lack of a better word. However, you can't act like never making light of a tragedy can't happen.

I know multiple people who have been in a few tragedies (one was in Columbine) who actually love when people make light of it, because it helps her get through the days she still has issues with it.

16. Ridiculous

I'd rather laugh than be miserable about everything for fear of offending someone.

17. Neutrality

It's terrible that it happened but, I tend to make jokes of terrible thing too in order to make them easier to handle...I don't know if it makes me a bad person but, I laughed at the first and third joke the original poster mentioned. It's like when I first came out to my mom she beat with with a bible so bad I had to go to the hospital...I can't handle talking about it...so I just tell people that she threw the good book at me to try and beat some sense into me, although that's not as tragic as what happened at the movie.

18. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I'll admit, I laughed to myself when I read a post that said, "I heard the new Batman movie is to DIE for" despite the fact that this incident was the first "incident" (like a bad thing to happen outside my little world) since 9/11 to make me truly upset and frightened. I have a dark sense of humor, and that helps me cope.

However, I also deeply respect the fact that other people do not share this humor, and I wouldn't ever joke around about this if I knew it may offend someone else. It's like telling dead baby jokes to a woman who just lost her child: you don't do that! A proper joke should bring people together and make people happy.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhh humanity, how far you keep falling.

20. Koalaman

All week I've been seeing people making jokes about the shooting whenever someone mentions The Dark Knight Rises and I just can't stand it really. I've talked to them and it is just them being insensitive.

Some of them I think could be funny, if it wasn't so soon and such a tragedy.