1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nostalgia Chick talks about Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card, and homophobia

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mogget, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Mogget

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've been a fan of her videos since the Nostalgia Critic put out his recruitment video for the position, and she delivered again.

Those of you who are also familiar with the show might be interested to know that after this episode aired, Nella came out as bi:
    agentanachronism | A Big Damn Declaration.

3. Aburahamu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good to know I'm not the only one who watches TGWTG.

4. Snowy

Snowy Guest

An hour later after watching ten other episodes because of this...

5. Owen

Her show is pretty grand, so that's not surprising to me. :slight_smile: She started out as the kind of reviewer who would review a movie scene-by-scene, making jokes when she could (like her namesake the Nostalgia Critic), but some time into her time on That Guy With The Glasses, she started taking a much more holistic approach to her reviewing, talking much more about the works as a whole. While it meant that she wasn't showing as much of her fantastic wit, in time, she started saying more insightful and more profound things about the works she reviewed, both in-and-of themselves and in their larger cultural context. Her video Blonde Girls Now and Then, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Ke$ha is a great example of that, looking at 90's pop stars and the pop stars of today (or at least, when the video was released), examining what it takes for a pop star to get famous and the pop stars themselves.

6. Mogget

NChick and Oancitizen (and possibly Cinema Snob, but I don't watch him) are the most intellectual reviewers on there, but even the more lowbrow ones are fun. And I may or may not have a celebrity crush on Film Brain.

7. Owen

The Rap Critic is pretty smart, too. I especially love his rant at the end of his Worst Lyrics of 2011 video, about how popular music has started to look like a self-parody because we don't take it seriously, so why should the singers?

8. Markio

Does anyone think Orson Scott Card might be gay himself? Or at least not entirely heterosexual? I feel like he's said in an argument against homosexuality that same-sex attraction is not a myth, but rather must be contained or left unanswered... almost as though that is how he deals with same-sex attraction that he may have experienced.

I also loved Nostalgia Chick's review of Sister Act. And What Women Want. And Labyri--OK, yeah I like her a lot! :slight_smile: