1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hit & Miss

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hot Pink, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hot Pink

I just watched this amazing show from the UK called Hit & Miss. It's about a transsexual assassin named Mia. Her life is all about dull repetition, until she receives a letter from an ex-girlfriend that said that she has cancer and that she had Mia's child, who was now 11 years old. When she goes to visit her ex, she finds out that she already died. Mia decides to take care of her newly discovered son and her ex's other three children, while still balancing her life as an assassin--which naturally proves to be more difficult than she imagined.

What I really loved about this show is that the conflicts that Mia faces as a trans woman are completely spot-on. Whoever wrote this show took the time to research this. She even faces discrimination from the children she is trying to take care of. While it was good see an accurate portrayal of the transgender experience on television, it also made it difficult to watch. My ability to empathize with Mia was vastly increased and a lot of her sadness struck extremely close to home. I cried more than once watching this show. It gets it.

The whole assassin thing can be pretty over-the-top sometimes, as you might expect from a TV show. Even as someone who isn't an expert at crime fiction, I was wondering why Mia left casings at the scene of the crime, picked well-lit areas to perform a kill, and sometimes exposed herself to the person she was trying to kill, which could leave DNA traces behind. But whatever, I wasn't watching this show for this aspect anyway.