1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone else fond of tearjerkers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GingerGuy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

It's really hard to find people of my own age to talk about this, so I decided to use the internet instead to debate. I would like to know, does anyone else loves moves that, right from the start, you know are going to make you cry? I believe theres a certain feeling of hopelesness, but also of unending beauty, that can only be experienced by watching them. I have many favorites and cry on them quite often, despite being a non-effeminate gay guy. Of course, I save my tears for heartbreaking endings, instead of shedding them on silly things (a friend of mine, who's also gay, teared up watching a mary poppins video because he thought about the loss of Julie Andrew's voice). Besides saying why you like sad movies, people who go to this thread should reccomend them to others.

I think Blue Valentine is one of the saddest of them all (a true example). And so is Mary and Max. And Toy Story 3. And Million Dollar Baby. And many LGBT themed films.

2. ANightDude

It depends on the movie. I don't like movies that are just downers. It seems, at the end, pointless to me to watch two hours of suffering and to have nothing come out of it. I like to watch characters and plots develop into something by the end of the film.

And that's why I stay away from animal movies. I made the mistake of seeing War Horse. It's not exactly depressing, and the ending can be called pretty uplifting, but God, the second act of the film just ruined me. It was awful. Nothing upsets me more than animal movies. That includes family-friendly animal movies that suck, because it pisses me off they were made in general. Ugh.

But movies have a hard time making me cry. Some tear-jerkers don't hit me until way after, actually (War Horse, for example, hit me four hours later. Alone. At night. In the kitchen. I just lost it standing at the kitchen table. Horrible night.)

So yeah, if it makes me cry for a reason that has to do with the movie, I'm good with it. Movies like My Sister's Keeper, no thanks.

May I ask why? I'm pretty sure she's not only alive, but she's working on narration for Enchanted 2 at the moment. Her voice seems fine, and it's preserved on film for the rest of time. I feel horrible but that's just so... odd. :lol:

#2 ANightDude, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. GingerGuy

Well, he was referring to her beautiful singing voice when he posted his sadness on Facebook lol

4. Gen

Gen

No I dont like it. I have found that I'm starting to be effected by sad movies, and I miss the days when I was heartless :tears:.

5. prism

I hate crying, and rarely do, but I'm a total sap during the sad parts of movies. "Sad" is loosely defined because I cried during Toy Story 3. :\

I can't bring myself to cry at funerals, BUT HOW COULD ANDY GIVE HIS TOYS AWAY?

6. Yeah, I don't make a point of watching sad things and even when I do usually I don't cry but occasionally some things have broken through.

The Office (UK) Probably the most perfect show ever made. The ending is so uplifting and it makes me cry, and feel completely joyous for weeks after I watch it.

Extras -Ricky Gervais really knows how to make me tick doesn't he? Again the speech Andy gives at the end of this is one of the most amazing things I've seen across any forms of media, a completely honest and harsh damning of the entertainment industry while also a beautiful display of friendship.

Royal Tenenbaums - Not to spoil things but, I knew it was coming the whole movie and I still wasn't prepared for it when it did.

Toy Story 3 - Grew up on 1 & 2, watched all 3 the past weekend. I was emotionally destroyed.

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I for one love a good cry. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what type of movies make me cry though.

My willingness to cry depends on my mood, the quality of the acting (I should feel as though they are legitimately in love, at war, or being killed by a maniac in front of me if they are worth their salt as an actor/actress.), and several other factors. Julie & Julia always gets me, because Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci's scenes together are so realistic, and I'm very familiar with the real Paul and Julia's love story, which I found to be perfectly portrayed. They way he cheers her on in her every venture makes me cry just thinking about it.

8. julia

Yes, most definitely! I absolutely love movies that make me feel so much that it brings me to tears, those usually end up to be my favorit movies. I'm not going to make a list of movies that have made me cry but I would end up naming 70% of movies I've watched. The littlest of things get to me. But a few movies that NEVER fail to make me cry are The Notebook, Titanic, Seven Pounds, and Revolutionary Road.

9. Doctor Faustus

My mum cries a lot at sad films. I don't cry at sad films or sad novels... I just end up feeling depressed.

But the sad stuff is the most powerful stuff and often the most cathartic.

10. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! I love a good tear jerker. Sometimes it feels really good to get a nice healthy cry out.

11. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I totally am!! I watch Cold Case just because I know 9 times out of 10, I will cry. I remember every movie that has ever made me cry because I have purposely watched them again.

My friend and I are planning a Cry-A-Thon. Basically we're going to get together every tear jerker in our arsenal and watch them all back to back. A purposeful event just to induce tears. What can we say except, we're cryers who kind of love crying.

I love tear jerkers like I love psycho-thriller mind fuck movies. (!) They drain me, but I love them anyway.

12. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like a good weep but I tend to like films that surprise me - films I get wrapped up in and then cry spontaneously when the emotion is too much.

I don't really have films that I know will make me cry. I like to surprise too much!

The last film I watched which took me by surprise was Shortbus (US 2006). It wasn't a huge wail and gnashing of teeth, but at the end my smile went from ear to ear and the tears were rolling off my cheeks!

13. BornAnew

Yeah I love tearjerkers. Whenever I feel like crying in a movie I know somewhere the character or the story made an impact on me!

One of the recent movies that made me cry a lot was The Help (2011), not so recent but it's the last one where I couldn't help crying...especially in the scene where
    Skeeters mum makes their Help leave the house because it was necessary to "keep face". And then how the Help dies without seeing Skeeter ever again who she loved a lot.

14. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

The only movie I've watched that ever made me cry was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Heh, I didn't bat an eyelash watching Titanic =P and yet I bawled at this one. :'/ It was amazing and I loved it. ... EDIT: I almost cried watching The Secret Life Of Bees. Another great movie. I normally don't like tearjerkers though 'cause I'm so obnoxious when I cry- I piss myself off. >...<

#14 AshenAngel, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  15. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like tearjerkers, as long as they aren't the whole movie cause then it annoys me.

16. bob94

I don't really ever watch movies that would make me cry. I prefer comedies! But I do like to listen to music that makes me watery-eyed. Someone Like You by Adele gets me every time!

17. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love tear-jerkers. In my opinion, the only things in life that are really meaningful are things that can move you to tears. I LOVE songs that make me cry and make me feel my heart break all over again, I love movies/tv shows that get me emotionally invested, etc. If something can make you cry, it's a sign that it's something great...something profound. Same goes for books, poetry, art, and many other things.

18. armsoutfarther

It depends with me, lol. I cry so easily it's not even funny. I seriously even cried at "Miracle at St. Anna" because of the end. But I like the happy tearjerkers than the sad ones.

19. Sanssouci

Funnily enough I've cried at more films as I've got older -when I was little, I was unmoved by the Fox and Hound (which I know I can't even go near now because it's just traumatise me). The only film that made me cry as a child was My Dog Skip.

The most rediculous film I ever cried at was Moulin Rouge. I was even laughing at myself for crying as it was happening. Weird feeling.

Then Toy Story 3 (of COURSE). Also, a Colin Firth film called "And When Did You Last See Your Father?". I bawled for both of those.

Oh but I tried Titanic before, and I still found that funny as an adult (I can't help it!).

20. GingerGuy

Unrelated to the glee project (I don't watch it), but I just read a really heartbreaking glee fanfiction and can't stop myself from crying. This is a very strong recommendation, but please know what you are getting before reading. Heres the link:

Everything's Made To Be Broken, a glee fanfic | FanFiction