1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remembering Brokeback Mountain and Heath

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by beckyg, Jan 22, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Funny, I was thinking about Brokeback Mountain this weekend and thinking I really wanted to watch it again. As a tribute to Heath....

1) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with? My husband, my son, my sons' boyfriend at the time and my youngest daughter. We drove to Portland to see it, three hours away. It waited in line about 2 hours for a sold out show. All shows were sold out that day.

2) Did you read the story first? Yes and loved it!

3) How did it make you feel? I cry everytime I watch it. At the end where Ennis is looking at the shirts and they are entwined together, just breaks my heart.

4) How many times have you seen it?
    Probably about 5 times

5) What are some of your favorite lines from the movie?

Jack Twist: I wish I knew how to quit you.

Jack Twist: My mama believes in the Pentecost.
    Ennis Del Mar: What exactly is the Pentecost? I mean, my folks, they was Methodists.
    Jack Twist: The Pentecost... I don't... I don't know what the pentacost is. I guess it means the world ends and guys like you and me march off to hell.
    Ennis Del Mar: Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity.

Jack Twist: You know friend, this is a god damn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation.

6) Did it deserve the Oscar?
    I haven't seen Crash, but hell yes it deserved an Oscar! :slight_smile:

2. Hollywood

1) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with? By myself-I was grounded one weekend and rented it to watch.

2) Did you read the story first? No, and glad I didn't. It made it that much more intense

3) How did it make you feel? I cryed when I saw it. It is a physical representation of all of the feelings a gay person goes through.

Only once but only because I can't find it to buy it!

Yes. I've seen Crash and it was amazing, but Brokeback deserved it.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I saw it at Walmart just recently, try there.

4. sexyalex

oh please....

people come...poeple go; why should i be botherd :dry:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Brokeback Mountain changed alot of hearts and minds about homosexuality. People who didn't think that gay men could really fall in love were moved by this film. If you don't think its important, then skip this thread. Many of us are saddened and feel loss.

6. vinylsoda89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with? i first saw it when i bought the DVD from Barne's & Noble. I watched it alone since my sister already saw it with her freind and my mom said it "looked too sad". haha

2) Did you read the story first? Yes and i was surprised how close my mental pictuere was to the film version. Right down to the color blue in the sky,Jack's Family house and bedroom,even Enis' trailer.

3) How did it make you feel? I cry everytime. I was crying for two days after i read it for the first time. I still have the copy of it i printed out two years ago haha.

4) How many times have you seen it? twice, but i've read it much much more than that.

5) What are some of your favorite lines from the movie? I can't say there's one line, scenes yes but not lines...well nothing off the top of my head. "Sleeping Like A Horse"-It's sweet,tender, and unabashedly young. It shows a carefully hidden side of both Jack and Enis, how strong and,admitedly comfortably,they loved, even back when it was too confusing for them to admit.It also presents a high contrast to the gruff,argumentory 39-year-old Jack and Enis we see now in the "Needin' somethin' i don't hardly never get scenes".

Jack:All we got now,is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that!"
    (i was going through my own Brokeback scenario at the time so the ine really spoke to me-a friend and i had sacrificed our great freindship for nothing more than our own Brokeback Mountain, and he was straight.Chicago's own Jack Twist here haha.)

6)Do You Think It Deserved The Oscar?
    I have seen Crash, and to be honest, they are both milestone films in their own right. I cried when Ang Lee won best director though, that was the greatest moment of the year for me. I beleive that Crash won because it was the more encompassing controversial film up for the oscar, though Brokeback Mountain may have been the more tabboo-shattering and visaully(and "actoraly") stunning.

7. wickedboi

I havent been able to see it, only bits and pieces online, and it looks awsome Heath really made a good impression on me... but...I'm way to scared to rent it cuz I would have to have my mom rent it for me since its Rated R and she knows what its a gay themed movie so...I will have to wait till i'm 18 lol
    but the bits I've seen...truley a beautiful movie

8. lostinthought9

i thought you could be seventeen and rent/buy an R rated movie, even unrated movies....or maybe that just in louisiana idk....
    and i havent seen Brokeback Mountain, i will once i come out to some people....

9. chrisb

You know Alex i was on your side threw some of your problems on the board but saying that is just horribly insensitive and messed up........ if you don't have anything nice to say you should not comment expeacially on a topic dedicated to the great memory of a beloved actor and great movie

10. chrisb

1) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with? I saw it alone in my bedroom before i had come out i cried throughout most of it and it was shortly before i started dating my first boyfriend and before i came out it was deffinitley a big part of why i decided to come out.

2) Did you read the story first? No i still havent gotten a chance to read it, hopefully i can find it this weekend.

3) How did it make you feel? I cry everytime to and just love the movie, it makes me feel good i will watch it again tonight.

not enough but probably atleast 3 times

Ennis Del Mar: Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity.

hell yes it did, stupid homophobic people is only reason it didnt in my opinion

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with? I was at a local cinema with one of my very best friends. (I didn't remember this... had to look it up.)

2) Did you read the story first? Nope, and still haven't.

3) How did it make you feel? Amazed that a movie like that could get made and be successful in Hollywood, and star such big actors. Amazed that they would actually have such a... powerful sex scene in the first ten minutes. Disturbed when I realised that in some places in Canada and the US, things haven't changed very much, if at all, from what was portrayed in the movie.

I think I did cry a bit... I can't remember at what point. I think the phone conversation with the imagined bashing. I thought Anne Hathaway was severely underappreciated in this movie.

4) How many times have you seen it? Just the once.

Don't actually recall any.

6) Did it deserve the Oscar? I'm kinda torn on this because Crash was SUCH a good movie, and you can see it would have a lot wider appeal than Brokeback Mountain. I think Brokeback was excellent but I think the fact that so many people felt it was "amazing" was because there had never been a huge serious gay love story widely distributed like that before. I guess the result, that Crash won best picture but Ang Lee won Best Director, is as good a compromise as one could get.

Frankly Crash moved me more than Brokeback Mountain just because I've read and seen lots of gay stories before, and so while I thought it was extremely well-done, it wasn't groundbreaking for me personally, even though I understand how groundbreaking it was "in the industry/as a watershed."

If Crash had been one iota less amazing than I thought it was, I would have been screaming "homophobia" all the way. But I think there's a difference between "homophobia" and a movie that just doesn't speak to as many people as another.

That being said, I thought BBM did a really good job, to me, of making anyone get invested. But obviously I'm a little biased on that point. *grin*

12. I haven't seen it all yet, I watched the first hour and a half on HBO. I haven't been able to see the rest yet. I am going to wait until I am out of HS to read it.

13. sdc91

1) Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with?
    I'll admit it, I downloaded it when it first came out. But then I asked to go see it and saw it at the theaters with my parents and brother (aaaaawkward).

2) Did you read the story first?
    I've read it but I forgot it it was before or afterward.

3) How did it make you feel?
    I was depressed for 2 months afterward. =/

2? 3? And some partial scenes.

I don't remember, it's been such a while.

I haven't seen Crash so I can't judge, but Brokeback Mountain was a good movie. I was a bit upset after not seeing it win.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention I have the DVD . . . counterfeit from a street market in Beijing (yeah, yeah, I'm such a horrible person). I saw it for sale and I thought I may as well buy it since I wouldn't be able to buy it until I was 17 and I still probably wouldn't buy it in America (too shy). So I bought that and two other movies for about $2-3.

And the lady selling the DVD's laughed at me. Even though it's banned in China. Apparently everyone knew what it was about. :bang: And then my friend saw that I bought it and I had to make up a story.

#13 sdc91, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  14. Jerr

Where did you see it for the first time and who were you with?

At the movies with my best mate and my best friend. My best mate had to leave the theater because... it reminded him of... ....nvm... He came back and had tears in his eyes and My best friend was balling the whole time. (Such a girl. lol)

2) Did you read the story first?

No. I don't plan on it. I'm sure it is wonderful but I probably shouldn't.

3) How did it make you feel?

It's... us... (That is all I could think in my mind... didn't help others came up to me and told me that...)

A few. I own the special addition DVD. It has post cards in it... just snap shots from the movie. I like them a lot.

I'm not sure. I didn't see the other movie.

I bought it from Walmart then a few weeks later... The Special Addition thing was there... so I bought that and gave the other to a friend.

15. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen it...*goes to video store*

16. Brokeback Mountain wasnt his best movie ..though...............

17. chrisb

I agree the man has been in alot of good movies, less then i had thought he'd been in though.....heres some of my other favorites

A Knights Tale
    10 Thing's I Hate About You
    Lords Of Dogtown
    The Brothers Grimm
    Monster's Ball

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I haven't seen any of those movies but I will check them out.

19. chrisb

I really reccomend 10 Things I Hate About you even though it's one of those teen drama/comedies i thought it was highly underated and showed he has a real soft side under that dark edge he had in most films....very good and even thought i don't think its one of those movies meant to make you cry it made me cry...cause i was happy with the ending

20. His final part he played in was th joker in the new batman movie, from what i've seen he looks like hhe did a good job.