1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General public acceptance of LGBT characters and actors

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by IanGallagher, Aug 10, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

I'm a screenwriter within Hollywood who has had a couple of experiences...

First, I overheard from casting directors an actor was denied to play a superhero because he's openly gay.

Second, I overheard the name of an action hero being gay - apparently everyone in Hollywood knows but no one lets it out of the bag in fear of what it will do to his career.

Third, I have a script that could land my name in a couple of magazines and articles that's how much it has going for it. I'm partly worried about people finding out I'm bi and focusing on that rather than the story itself when my name comes up. So, although significantly reduced, I can see where the fear of some actors can come from.

Forth, I have a screenplay with a minor supporting gay character who goes against the stereotype. I'm finding that straight guys unaffiliated with the industry are having a problem with it while a girl and gay guy did dig the character.

What do you think it will take for general audiences to be more open to gay characters being in film and TV?

And what do you think will stop general public from caring what someone's sexuality is?

2. armsoutfarther

There's an openly gay actor named John Barrowman in the UK (he played in Doctor Who and Torchwood and is in all kinds of theater). I think that slowly but surely, the general audience will be more accepting of openly LGBT+ characters and actors. I mean, it won't happen overnight and might take a while but I think it'll happen.

3. Gen

Gen

I am a currently working on my own debut novel series. One of the beautiful things about writers is that besides our storys, honesty, no one cares.

First, your publishing/production company is not going to research you sexuality. Truthfully, they arent usually interested in anything, but the legal informations, because unless you are quite successful, no one will know you as anything else other than your pen name.

Truthfully, the only reason the press is going to want to really know a writer in real life is if their work becomes very popular. Luckily, if you work is at the popular stage than the fans/followers/reads will already be to into it to care. Plus if you work is successful, than well, its already successful lol.

Even if they knew most people would forget it anyway. When you watch a movie, you see the actors/characters. You dont see the writer.

#3 Gen, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. IanGallagher

Production companies don't care. They can hire a gay director to direct WonderMan, but not a gay actor to play Wonderman. Tabloids? This would be a film papparazzi will try to find those involved in compromising situations. Big child oriented blockbuster for a major studio release centered around a classic mythological figure? It's almost too good to pass up. Chances are slim. But, still being precautious in everything around that time because something tells me everyone will be under a microscope. Really want to keep the invisibility aspect of it lol. Especially since this figure? To some it would be near but not really "bisexual writer tackles Jesus." In other words - open bait.

#4 IanGallagher, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A difficult and thought-provoking question!

John Barrowman is indeed openly gay AND his character in the episodes of Dr Who he first appeared in was also gay with inclinations towards Dr Who. A spin-off series called Torchwood featured Baroowman's character to, this time as the lead role and again there were distinct lines to the story which were gay. John Barrowman is extremely popular in the UK, where he was born but he grew up in the States.

I think your script might have potential in Europe where I think LGBT issues are less coloured by religious issues. Could you possibly relocate your story there?

6. IanGallagher

Well, the religious one doesn't have gayness in it. I'll say it has either the easter bunny or santa claus. Big budget studio film. As said, open bait for paparazzi and it's the young (20s) involved that will be the most under scrutiny which throws me in there lol.

The one with the gay character, hollywood's accepting while we're waiting for mass audiences to be more so. Think it's the more shown, the more accepted amongst Hollywood. Character's as brief as the gay character in 'Ted.'

I can say, I am considering moving to the UK when I head in a TV direction.

7. Gen

Gen

Truthfully, I still dont see why you would run into a problem. Dealing with the first script, you sexuality shouldnt be looked under with scrutiny. There are even successful children authors who were of different orientations, and some who have had a less than acceptable past, etc. Yes, writers can recieve a great amount of press if they are very successful, or dealing with certain controversial topics, however, even than, although they may be interviewed about their work, no ones really cares about their personal life. No press are going to outwardly seek to dig up dirt on you for your script unless it raises a bunch of uproar. If the script was actually about Jesus and it showed him in such a way that would raise emotions in the public, than that would be a reason to question the writers background. But otherwise there isnt a reason.

Truthfully, there should be a problem with the screen play either as long as the gay character isnt trying to throw it in everyones face lol. You say he is going against the stereotype, which already makes it easier for people to handle. Not to mention, that if he is only a supporting character than the majority of people wouldnt even know about it till they are in actually watching the film, and at that point not many people are going to walk out in anger after realizing someone in the cast in gay. There are even gay characters in harry potter and people still buy it for their children lol.

You wouldnt have any less difficulty with these scripts in the UK, than the states. Personally, I think you are overthinking it way to much. The population is vastly unaware of who is producing their entertainment. Especially with screenwriter and producers. Even if they were aware of your orientations, most probably wouldnt even think twice about it, because they are in it for the Characters, Story, etc. The writer isnt really that important. Niether are supporting characters unless they have a large reasons to stand out.

8. qboy

Actually his character was bi (although not strictly true - it's whatever the cross intelligent-species version of bi would be)

I don't know why but this reminds me of the recent NPR podcast which some may find interesting...
    How TV Brought Gay People Into Our Homes

I seam to recall reading a number of articles though where (well known) openly gay actors struggle to get cast in roles (including UK TV roles) where there character is in a straight relationship though, ditto actors who've played a number of gay roles.

9. IanGallagher

Maybe I'm not hip with paparazzi or know their methods, but when a seasonal blockbuster is coming out - talking major film studio (Fox, Universal, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dreamworks, etc), NOT independent - that's usually where their priorities lay and the easiest targets are those who are young. It's not really orientation as much as how they could spin it. And novel writers, at least to my knowledge, don't have to worry at all about the paparazzi - it's just those in film, politics, music, etc.

Anyways, the question isn't really about me, it's about when there will be a time when -- this is the most showing -- actors are refused a role due to their orientation and other figures have to remain "in" due to fear of what it might due to their careers.

#9 IanGallagher, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012