1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympic Closing Ceremony

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kerze, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone watching? Gotta say, so far it's everything I was worried the opening would be. Not impressed.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, not yet. As per NBC's coverage I should be able to see it "live" here on the West coast about *check's time*.....7 hours from now.....

NBC = :bang:

#2 Browncoat, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a traffic jam then One Direction turned up. You're not missing much so far.

4. GayJay

I heard something about the Spice Girls being there. Think maybe i might just be being gullible there though. But yeah i thought it looked pretty boring myself decided not to watch it.

5. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I'm not impressed, thus far. I was blown away by the opening ceremony. It was the second best opening ceremony I have ever seen. Frankly, I'm just watching for the Spice Girls today.

6. Emberstone

opening was great. so far, this is bland. I want to see rio's contribution so I can go workout.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2012 at 02:32 PM ----------

you could be watched it live on nbcolympics right now. I am west coast, and watching it live.

7. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Spice Girls came on. Loved it. Now, I'm done. TV off.

8. BudderMC

^ did they perform? I'd make an effort to go find the closing ceremonies if they did... because I'm too ashamed to say the only other reason I'd be watching is for 1D <_<

9. AmblingSam

Now they're just talking about flabblegast now

10. Rygirl

Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, and Taio Cruz were amazing.

11. GingerGuy

I only saw a little bit of the ending of the rio preview. But I'm glad to say, I am proud of it. I'm Brazilian myself and live in Rio, so it's pretty damn obvious that I'll be there watching the games in the stadiums four years from now. The set pieces were really creative and even tough my country's music is not limited to samba, I know this is what most foreigners known about Brazilian music (if anyone is curious about this type of music or wants to know more about it, just message me is I can send some REALLY good artists and songs).

And of course, I loved that one of my favorite singers of ALL times was there, Marisa Monte( the woman with black hair, very white skin and a white and blue dress who was singing during the closing) her voice is beautiful, her songs are remarkable, and I have most of her CDs and consider her an absolute DIVA. I just wish there were more brazilians/Latinos here, so I could create a thread about her and discuss her music :-(

12. Bi As A Kite

Muse.

Full stop.

13. qboy

A bit rubbish really - after the opening ceremony and the performance of the Team GB athletes it was a bit of a let down.

One Direction - you could have at least TRIED to lip synch - I know you were rubbish at it at the best of the times, but holding the microphone to your knees while the lyrics we ongoing - really?

A big David Bowie intro, and instead of him coming on stage you end up with some depressed models instead.

Some good songs inter-mingled in amongst the dross and after Seb Coe sent me asleep the final set of music (which I watched this morning - BBC iPlayer FTW!) was actually rather good - been on a bit of The Who music marathon today.

I'm just hoping the BBC will be able to cover the Rio games as comprehensively - although I doubt I'll see much of those live (the evening in Rio being the middle of the night here!) - I have a horrible feeling that the budget cuts (in real terms) they are facing and the awful timing for UK audiences means we'll be getting Beijing coverage levels at best (although I gather having three channels covering the action throughout the day is way better than NBC managed!) - I doubt there'll be 54 channels dedicated to live coverage of all the events again!

Might be worth starting a thread containing the best of your countries music and getting people to join in with there's - alas my knowledge of Brazilian music extends to Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego and Gusttavo Lima - Balada boa (Tchê tcherere) - the UK media is far to Anglo-centric, if it's not sung in English it doesn't get played - and even then you pretty much have to be British, Irish, American, Canadian, Australian or Swedish to stand a chance of getting any airplay :frowning2:

#13 qboy, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  14. Emberstone

I think nbc had 8-10 channels, at last on my cable tier.

but it as just easier to go watch the events live off nbcolympics.com because then you dont have to sit through commercials, or have them cut the events up and have 8 going during a 4 hour block, meaning you have to keep watching to see the ones you want, which might make you watch all four hours for a 2-3 minute event.

15. blightedsight

Just watched some of it and, while, most of it was not something I would care to watch again, I gotta say, I flipping loved the Spice Girls.
    Well, I would have liked it alot more had the cameras not cut to Dav Cam, Sam Cam and Bo Jo doing some of the worst forced dancing I have ever seen.
    Made me quite ill.
    But yeah, Viva Forever, Spice Girls!

16. GingerGuy

Great idea! I think I'll create this thread tomorrow, not only about Brazilian music, but everything that is not sung in English (and that includes opera, there are many arias in Italian and French that are heartbreakingly beautiful). And please, try avoiding these two songs as much as possible. I absolutely hate them and cannot stand listening to it on the radio or in cell phones anymore. Brazilian music is MUCH better than this. Do you want an example?

Adriana Calcanhotto - Metade (Half) - YouTube

Here it's a breakup song to tear your heart strings apart... This woman has a beautiful voice and the video has a translation to English. Can you see how much this is better than Ai Se Eu te Pego? Lol