1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Producing your own music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SriManayaDasan, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I've always wanted to make my own music and produce CD's. I have some basic knowledge of music structure ( I was in band for about 4 years) such as measurements, time signature, etc. and I have a decent voice. However, I have some questions concerning this.

1.) How do you write a good song? Like how do you make sure that the words and rhythm stay in the time scale? How to you know if the lyrics are actually good? What are some topics that people are sick of hearing?

2.) I don't play any instruments. What are some good music programs (like Fruity Loops, etc.)

3.) Sometimes, are simple structured songs nice? All songs don't have to be like Rush.

4.) After it is all produced, where can I advertise myself?

5.) This isn't a question, but my influences are Sia, The Killers, No Doubt and early Maroon 5.

2. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I can't answer tge first part since I only write instrumental music, but make sure the song you're making is from the heart. As for software I personally use musescore because its free, but if it doesnt fit your needs then dont use it. Personaly I believe the simpler the better. If somethings not needed then why put it in? Youtube would be a good place to start, but try anywhere you can find. Good luck!

3. GreenRaven

I want to do the same thing, sorta, well....I've already recorded my own stuff and made burned cd's out of them in high school and what not...but I haven't for a while and would like to get back into it

1) Never EVER force a song out. A song should come naturally, stemming from your emotions or experiences in dealing with life and other situations. Writing is something lets you express who you are on the inside in a way that can show others how you see the world. There's no 'one way' to write a good song. Just take your time and let it come to you. If you really want to write something but have no idea how to start it, try listening to some music that inspires you. Also, it doesn't matter how fast you write it....composing music is not a race, you should take as much time with it as you need for it to become a painted picture through words of something.

2)I personally use Audacity (once again cause it's free) but that's because I play guitar (and piano/drums...but I've never recorded them). I don't know about other programs for people who don't play instruments

3)Of course! I have a couple songs that are very simply structured and I love them, and the people who I've let read them like them a lot too (as well as my more complicated stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

4)As speedboy said, if you feel comfortable enough with yourself and it, you can post it on youtube. Or, you can do what I did and find a way to just post it on facebook to share it with your family and friends. I'm very much a perfectionist when it comes to recording my music, and the few I have recorded I did when I was sick, so I either sound really congested, or my voice starts going out. I plan on rerecording them once I've moved and settled back in at my parent's place. Hmm...I wonder if they would be willing to set up my old room as a recording studio....

5) Cool, my influences are stuff like ICEMAN, Hanson, my cousin, and Avenged Sevenfold....really anything. It just depends on my mood at the time being what really clicks with me the most at a moment in time.

Good luck!

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not try Aucustica Mixcraft, work flow is similar to Garage Band on the Apple, only for far less pricey and tons and tons of more instruments, voices, mixers and what not is available free of charge. Though there are additional companies who develop plug-ins exclusively, which charge a small fee. The software isn't by far as complicated as fruity Loops, Adobe's Audition and what not. There are tons of tutorial on youtube to make it easier to master.

As for audio promotion, why not try either iTunes store or even Bearshare store. There are many other similar sites on which artists can register and sell their music in a safe controlled environment. Provided you have to do allot of PR to get people to notice it and want to buy it. It's nothing to produce something, but if people don't know about it, you cant expect to sell it. PR is hard work, ask any artist, they tell you the same thing. But if your production is really good, you might be able to sell it to a record company, who will handle the PR themselves. But they are sharks!

5. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've played around with the demo version of Fruity Loops just for fun LOL

--------
    Also something very important that I haven't seen mentioned, If you are going to put any downloadable/playable/etc songs out on the net, make sure you register a copyright for them first!

US Government Copyright FAQ Page

6. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Audacity is good if you have all your pieces recorded already, for mixing, tuning, and the like. If you have a Mac computer- I've heard really great things about GarageBand... I do more writing than producing- but I hope this helped. Just make sure your music isn't forced, and have a couple good microphones, Lol.

7. djt820

Well, I'm a recording engineer and songwriter so maybe my opinion is somewhat valid.

1. I don't want to give you too much songwriting advice because it should be something you learn on your own in your own way. There's no single way of writing a song. There's methods sure but you shouldn't restrict yourself. You could always go for the Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus method if you want to keep things simple. When I personally write a song, I focus on the "hook". I ask myself "How can I make this song have a lasting impression?". When it comes to vocals (words/lyrics), I always try to make a melody for the vocals first. Don't try to fit already written lyrics to a song if it doesn't work. Hum the vocal line first, then write lyrics. I got my lyric writing technique by studying my influences' work. As for lyrical-content that I'm sick of hearing of: love, break ups, partying, dancing. Basically anything sung about in Top 40 music.

2. For you, you should start with either FL Studio, Audacity, or Ableton. All of them have a learning curve. Watch YouTube tutorials. Fiddle around. Have fun. You won't be a master in a week. Another note, though, is if you plan on recording vocals or any instrument, you WILL need an audio interface and a microphone. You can find these things at Musician's Friend or Guitar Center. If you have any specific questions about that, let me know because it can be confusing and they're a necessary thing for music production.

3. Simple can definitely be nice. I used to be a huge fan of Prog Rock like Rush but it took a good listen to The Beach Boys and The Beatles to "get" simple music.

4. Soundcloud, Bandcamp, ReverbNation, YouTube, Facebook

5. Lol ok

#7 djt820, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012