1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of 4/4 and 3/4 time signature songs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SriManayaDasan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. For the musically inclined, what are some songs that you like which are in the 4/4 or 3/4 time signature?

I'm trying to foray into songwriting and I'm trying to get a feel for these time signatures. My personal philosophy is have lyrics with meaning (whether it be personal or universal) and a relatively simple structure. Not everything has to be Muse or Dream Theater...although they are quite amazing. :slight_smile:

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I know a song which has 2 different versions, one in 3/4 and one in 4/4. The song is 'New Day' by Celine Dion.

My personal preference is the 3/4 version, which is slower and more emotional with a piano accompaniment. The 4/4 version, on the other hand, is more upbeat and dance like, still emotional but in a more happy, celebratory way rather than a sentimental, meaningful one.

It really depends on the song you're writing, and the lyrics. The question you need to ask yourself is, 'exactly what am I trying to convey to the listener, and how do I go about doing this?'

Good luck with the songwriting! :slight_smile:

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dream Theater is an amazing band!! Muse is too!!

Anyways.. A lot of Dream Theater's songs have crazy shifting time signatures. That's common of the progressive metal genera though.

I'm not 100 percent sure about muse. They probably have some 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures.