1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovision Song Contest

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by suburbs_of_sodom, Jul 28, 2006.

1. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Just wanted to ask, is anyone else totally obsessed with the eurovision song contest? I mean, I know I'm American and shouldn't even know what this competition is due to our lame isolationist culture, and the fact that I don't think it's broadcasted in the states, but eurovision ROCKS!! Ruslana has now officially become my new favorite artist, with tatu and sertab not far behind (although tatu's done a pretty good job at making itself well known in America).

God I can't wait unitl 2007.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well I'm not totally obsessed with it (I don't follow all the national finals etc) but I do watch it each year. I love Terry Wogan's commentry too - he has it well sussed.

I actually thought our song (UK - "Teenage Lives") was reasonably good this year, following the junk we have entered in recent years.

I thought the winner was great too. What could be even better is other countries trying to so something similar stuff next year..... :wink:

3. suburbs_of_sodom

Unfortunately I have to watch it on youtube cause it's not shown over here so I usually have to watch it in french or german commentary and I dont get to see all the performances, although I did enjoy the UK's entry this year.

and btw...HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!!!!!!!!! :eusa_danc (!) :eusa_danc (!) :eusa_danc

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You can usually get "copies" of the final on eBay UK on DVD from a few days after the contest. :wink:

5. Simon69

Simon69 Guest

i like eurvison too i think tery wogan is funy he is offen rite about the ponts the contrys give

6. suburbs_of_sodom

It's that time of year again :icon_bigg!! The entries have been announced and are available on youtube, just in case I'm not the only one obsessed with ESC. Here's my favorite so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-M7oqGmyE

Apparently boy bands aren't completely hideous in Spain. In fact, they're rather hot. Who knew?

7. Sanssouci

Ours is so embrassing. It's clear the nation has just given up and we're now only entering for a laugh. Still, it's so incredibly camp it's funny.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I don't think us in the UK have taken it seriously for years.

Terry Wogan doing the commentary for the BBC certainly doesn't, and it's his commentary that makes it so enjoyable for me. If it was presented as a serious music contest it would be dull, but as a bit of light-hearted fun weekend telly it's great.

I haven't heard our entry right through, but what I have heard is rubbish. We'll probably get a handful of points (including about 8 from Ireland).

I'll have to look on YouTube for all the entries later....

9. Sanssouci

Terry Wogan is only reason I watch too :grin:

Remember "Dr. Death and the Tooth Fairy"? :lol:

Ours climaxs with four aeroplane trolleys turning round to reveal two union jacks. Now if they were sensible, it would be one Union Jack and one EU Flag. I emailed one of the band members so maybe :lol:

10. suburbs_of_sodom

Oh definitely on the EU flag, I mean after all, this is a Pan-European contest (though of course, not all the countries competing are part of the EU...oh Russia...). But then again, I'm such a Europhile that I think that the US should apply for membership. Though, sadly, like Morocco in 1987, we'd most certainly be rejected on the grounds that we're not in Euorpe.

11. davo-man

EuroVision is the BOMB!!!!! Ive only watched it a couple of times, but it is the best singing comp in the world....They dont really advertise it much here in Australia, but if i happen to see some of it, i LOVE it!!!!

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know about the existence of Eurovision but I don't know much about it. And of course, they don't broadcast it here in UY.

13. Sanssouci

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It sounds like a commercial for an airline. What a load of rubbish!

15. suburbs_of_sodom

16. suburbs_of_sodom

Here's something that Marija, winner of ESC 2007 said that I found hilarious:

I response to some saying that her song is a hymn to homosexuality, Marija said:

"Everybody knows that Eurovision Song Contest is a gay festival so...I don't have a problem with that"