1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Am Legend or Clovefield? VOTE!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex89, Jan 23, 2008.

?

Your opinion?

1. I Am Legend was better - Sam the dog rocked!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Cloverfield was better - Shaky cameras rock!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Only seen I Am Legend, but liked it

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. Only seen I Am Legend, but didn't like it

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Only seen Cloverfield, but liked it

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Only seen Cloverfield, but didn't like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Haven't seen either!

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  8. Can't choose...I thought both were equal

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Alex89

You wait for half a year for another awesome sci-fi movie since Transformers, and suddenly two hit cinemas at once! Which did you prefer?

Similarities between Cloverfield and I Am Legend:
    - both sci-fi
    - both involve ruined cities
    - both set in New York
    - both involve crazed monster(s)

I've only seen I am Legend so far (and only an hour ago!), and I thought it was brilliantly done and managed to make the story of a lone person and his dog compelling and emotional, despite the lack of any additional human people to carry a conversation for the vast majority. Very very recommended - small touches like the mannequins he's set up in the video shop he talks to are brilliant. Strange at first, until you realize how much you'd need some sort of routine like interacting with something resembling normality to keep your sanity and stop you having a complete breakdown.

It's based on a novel, and was previously made into a movie called Omega Man years and years ago.

Anyways, vote on your favorite sci-fi movie of the season!

2. Crazyfoo

I've wanted to see both, but if I had to pick one to see first it'd be I Am Legend.

3. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am Legend all the way! That movie was awesome! It made me jump a few times hahaha.

and yes, Sam the Dog...rocked! :slight_smile:

4. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Both were good. But I like Cloverfield because it plays with your head.

5. Alex89

I'll be seeing Cloverfield on Tuesday. Already looking forward to it!

I know one person who saw Cloverfield and hated to shaky camera, but I loved the handheld camera style in the Bourne series so I don't have a problem with it if it makes it more involving. =D

6. Aphelion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yesterday I saw I Am Legend... and I think it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen -.-

7. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Bahahahahahahaha!

*cough*

hmm. . . .

8. Alex89

Alphelion - guess I can understand that some people would hate it - not your usual sci-fi action movie. It goes a bit deeper into human nature than most, and uses an unusual way of storytelling not focussed on words but more on observing the main character's routines and picking the odd bits out that give away his shaky mental state.

9. goodisgood

goodisgood Guest

I've seen both and I thought I am Legend was pretty cool but I thoroughly enjoyed Cloverfield. I guess the whole giant monster thing and the camera shakiness just made it a fun movie to watch, so chose I Cloverfield over I am Legend.

10. JSG

JSG Guest

11. Aphelion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    imho, the story is very poor and it goes too slow all the time. The way it has to show how Neville was living is so obvious and boring, something like "Look, he's alone and talks to the mannequins to feel accompanied, did you understand? he can't talk to real people because he is the only one there, so he imagines that mannequins are real people but he knows they're not, anyways he talks to them to feel accompanied"
    And the end is really disappointing. While I was bored watching the film I said to myself "maybe it has a great full-action end!" then I waited for it, waited one and a half hour, and didn't watch anything good enough.
    The more I remember it, the more I hate it :badgrin:

12. davo-man

I haven't seen I Am Legend, but don't really plan to. This is going to sound really dumb (esp cos Im so into The Dark Knight) but a lot of the ticket sales from that movie were because it was the first movie to have The Dark Knight advertisement with it, and at IMAX it had a 7 min prologue, introducing The Joker. So pretty much, like 20% would have been ppl, who might have gone and seen I Am Legend, but went cos The Dark Knight advertisements were with it. In fact I have read stories of ppl walking out of the cinema after the advertisement cos they werent interested in the movie.

I dunno, it just seems like a trick to get movie sales.

Anyway, back on topic, I really like Cloverfield, but hated that it ended without telling us what the monster was. Also, I didnt like the design of the monster, I though it could have been a lot more interesting. I loved the spider things tho

13. Cloverfield definitely did play with my head....it gave me a huge headache from the camera moving ALL the time. Other than the fact that it made me sick, it was a pretty good movie but I Am Legend was much better.

14. Ty

Ty Guest

Aww
    dont cry baby :wink:

15. InaRut

Cloverfield was alright...
    Gave me headaches though. Still found it pretty intense.

The CGI in I am Legend greatly upset me though. Honestly. If I ever do movies I am not using CGI. Stupid penny pinching directors. Otherwise the movie was pretty good.

WHY DID THE DOG HAVE TO DIE :frowning2:!
    Answer: Cause a dog was in the movie/story.

16. Hollywood

i wanted more cloverfield. i would have loved it then.

17. goodisgood

goodisgood Guest

Cloverfield was just plain cool to me...but the problem I had with I am Legend, though I pretty much enjoyed it (and Will Smith did a great job), was that it attempted to make the more fantastical elements derived from the novel into scientific reality and I guess it didn't really work for me. While the skeleton of it remained, I kind of missed the fact that the infected basically became vampires in the original novel. The real vampire stuff was not really there in the movie. The original movie adaptation called The Last Man on Earth (I forget when it came out but it was in the 60s or 50s) was closer to the book and kept the vampire-ish storyline. Plus the new movie kind of made the meaning behind the title "I am Legend" disappear.

18. Grof142007

only seen i am legend but plan on seeing cloverfield sounds good

19. I really want to see Cloverfield but none of my friends will go see it, actually I was going to go but then the person I was going with had to baby sit. Oh and the other person who wants to go see it is on holidays somewhere lol. =(

20. Level N Human

Hasn't the premise of I Am Legend been done several times over?! Not to mention, it's a modernization of a modernization of a film adaptation based on a book.. Not to mention that I failed to see how very different it was from such films as 28 Days later, only with more fake-looking zombies. :|

I did enjoy Cloverfield, but you've got to see it in theater for the whole experience because quite frankly if the movie wasn't shot the way it was, it's just another Godzilla movie that would be pretty crappy to see on the small-screen.