1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Genres and "Heteronormativity"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Praetor, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Praetor

So, for starters I listen to a variety of music, but some music I do happen to listen to a lot is house and all the various obscure subgenres that probably fall under it.

I've noticed time after time in the genre there is a considerable amount of presuming that everybody who watches the music video is a 100% straight male. It's almost as if the people behind the music are actually insecure so they feel the need to include lots of "hot girls" in most of their videos.

This of course isn't just true for one genre, but frequents other genres too.

Is it just me who gets somewhat irritated by this after a while, or do any of you feel similar?

2. qboy

Dance music in general seams to love including "hot girls" (seriously I can't see it - look like mannequins with 15 litres of Dulux on half the time - meh) and it does get a bit irritating after a while. Then again the way I look at it is that the insecure ones can perve at the music video, while those with musical taste will listen to the CD with none of that tat!

Then again, when this is the outside [​IMG] of what used to be home the cities best house music night (actually best music night full stop) perhaps they need a way to reassert there heterosexuality! :laugh:

But then again some genres seam to deny the existence of girls at all, unless one happens to be in the band (I'm looking at you Indie/Alternative Rock - and just to prove my point a Two Door Cinema Club sausage fest is currently playing on the tv, swiftly followed by a Manic Street Preachers one!).

#2 qboy, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That used to be especially prevalent in hip-hop in the early-to-mid-90s. Every video featured a lot of scantily-clad women with vacant expressions and too-large-asses fit into too-small bikini bottoms, hanging out near the MCs and crew like they wandered in from a swimsuit calendar shoot. I understand the appeal to straight men - "hey, when you're a great rapper, hot women wander in and stand near you!" - but I know a lot of women who love hip-hop. What did they get out of those videos? Did they want to BE those women? Did they just consider that "something that happens in rap videos"?

Lex