1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owl City says It Gets Better?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Robin, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Robin

I like heavy metal bands such as "The Devil Wears Prada", but I've always had a soft spot for Owl City. Recently they released a new album and on it is a song called "Embers" which I totally think is related to the It Gets Better project which supports lgbt people. I think this is a song oriented towards them. Here's the youtube vid, along with the lyrics. Listen to the lyrics and see if you understand where I'm coming from.

Embers - Owl City [2012] - YouTube

There were days when each hour was a war I fought to survive
    There were nights full of nightmares and I dreaded closing my eyes
    There were skies that burst open with a downpour to drown me alive
    But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life
    So I’m fanning the flames to climb so high ‘cause there’s no other way we can stay alive
    ‘Cause we’re burning bright as we all unite
    And when it’s all said and done we’ll shine like the sun so don’t let the fire die
    And we’ll watch the sky as it fills with light
    And though the embers are new, whatever you do just don’t let the fire die
    And you’ll find, there’ll be mornings when the ashes and embers are cold
    But you’ll fight with a passion and you’ll never stop ‘cause you know
    Yeah you know it gets better and your story is yet to be told
    Every push, every shove, every war, every love
    Yeah the coals are beginning to glow
    So I’m fanning the flames to climb so high ‘cause there’s no other way we can stay alive
    And when it’s all said and done we’ll shine like the sun so don’t let the fire die
    Don’t let the fire die
    It gets better
    Just don’t let the fire die, no…
    Don’t let the fire die…

2. paul

not a fan. i mean it didn't get much better for him (only 1 guy in Owl City) because he is basically a one hit wonder. not much talent there. i do however get what you are saying with the song. sounds pretty good actually

3. stephenjack

wait stop i'm in love with this song. and idk if it was done intentionally for the "it gets better" project (which is an awesome project) but it no doubt relates and is relevant to it. and a clue that it could of been done on purpose is because of the words
    . and if it is a coincidence it's an incredible one because the words "it gets better" are in it. Either way it's a great song and the lyrics should be thought of as an "it gets better" message to teens. thanks for posting it:slight_smile:

4. qboy

Well, two hits now (judging by the amount of air play Good Times is getting that will chart highly - has already got to the top 5 in Aus) with 5 songs already charting (No.1, No.94, No.110, and No.176)...

That's the album I will be listening to in about two mins as I head into work though!

5. itsaldo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like, in fact i love Owl City and i love the whole album, it is amazing, i think you are right it gets better

6. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's nice that he would do that and all, but my feelings about Owl City can be summed up in the following quotes I have encountered on the internet;

7. i liked him before he was on the radio.
    then he changed.

still like his rainbow veins and vanilla twilight songs :slight_smile:

8. Adamant715

Adamant715 Guest

Just listened to his new album and I must say, it really is good! Quite the evolution from "Fireflies" but all in all I really like it.

9. ANightDude

"One Hit Wonder" means the radio chose to play one song. It has nothing to do with talent. Owl City is an alternative sound, so generally he won't be on the radio. His lyrics are "too complex" for the radio for most of his early albums. His new album is meant more or less for him to experiment more and branch out into different sounds. Radios and studios release singles pick what gives them money, it's got nothing based on talent.

Owl City has been a pretty massive success for an alternative singer/band, even without the radio or massive studio push. His albums (when released) generally stay high on the sales charts, his tours are always sold out, and to say he doesn't have "talent" is almost a sin. You've got to look up what Adam can do. It's ridiculously impressive.

The Postal Service and Owl City comparisons are crap. They really. Yeah, sure, they have a similar sound at some points, but people need to seriously get over the fact that the Postal Service is gone and no longer active, and Owl City is. It's just how it is, yet some people just point fingers all day instead.